Latex tubes with Cosmic C40 Elite ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikerdan

by bikerdan

From what I understand, in general latex tubes are a bad idea with carbon clinchers. I've however got the early carbon clinchers from mavic where they had an aluminum insert for the tyre and tube

Would these then be ok with latex tubes?

I'm guessing also that veloflex tyres might also be ok on these

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The issue on latex is not just on carbon clinchers, but clinchers in general regardless of material. Because latex is so stretchy, they don't stretch uniformly in a clincher because a clincher has a non-tubular shape. So when the tube is under pressure there are some areas of the tube that are thinner than other. The nonuniformity causes unpredicable performance of the tube. Another problem is the rim tape. Since most clinchers have rim tapes, latex tubes have the tendency to expand into the tiniest space, including the space between the rim tape and the rim. When this happens you can get a puncture from the latex tube going under the rim tape. This is the reason why Conti doesn't sell a stand-alone latex tube but they put latex tubes in their higher-end racing tubular tires. Tubular tires have none of the issues associated with clinchers. You can read more about latex and clinchers in this article.

https://www.enve.com/en/use-of-latex-tu ... cher-rims/

Kurets

by Kurets

Latex tubes work fine in aluminium rims. Provided the setup is sound (no slipping rim tape, making sure tube is not pinched between tyre and hook), there is nlthing to worry about. I have ridden exclusively latex tubes flr my road bike and have only had flats related to glass or other debris, no tube failures. In fact, I used the same tube until the valve body came loose from it. Took about 2 1/2 years and even a few patches to it.

Sent from my H4113 using Tapatalk

F45

by F45

The new tubeless rim profiles and tubeless tape have eliminated any problems I had with latex. Because the clincher bead is pushed between the rim lip and rim bed, there's no space for the latex to push into and get thinner like pdlpusher1 is talking about. Tubeless tape is smooth, unlike a cloth rim strip that is grabby and has rough edges. So I don't get any tearing around the valve stem. I have no idea what that Mavic rim bed looks like.

bikerdan

by bikerdan

Hope it's clearer from the pictures. There is no rim tape. But the rim is still full carbon around the aluminum bit. So not like the old cosmics where it was still a fairing.

I wasn't sure if with this setup I'd have more or less heat build up than a normal full carbon clinchers.

My understanding is heat build up is the problem with latex tubes. But maybe I'm wrong

Got interested after reading an article on the some site specializing in rolling resistance where they seemed to conclude it's better than tubeless. Need to find the linkImageImage

bikerdan

by bikerdan

Here it is https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... s-clincher

sungod

by sungod

yes, latex tubes have lower crr than a standard butyl tube, so they will save a little energy

with that cf/alloy construction they will spread heat from the brake track across the rim bed, sidewall temperature can be lower than a pure cf rim, and with no basetape either these should be among the more latex-friendly rims, but long/steep/twisty descent will still build up heat

they are c. 19mm wide, i'd use a narrow tyre on the front to avoid the 'lightbulb' profile which is generally poor aerodynamically

narrowest veloflex clincher would be too wide imo, i'd try 20mm conti cp4000s ii or michelin pro 4 sc, for the rear where the aero effect is much smaller i'd fit a 23 mm

bikerdan

by bikerdan

Ok. They came with 23mm mavic tyres. I swapped them out for Michelin Power Competitions 23 this year and they've been great. But still with original mavic tubes.
Think I'll give some latex tubes a go

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com