Which (type of) sealant?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

Recently I have pulled the plug on some Campy Bora wheels, and since I have never used tubs before I am overthinking everything tub related. So my question of the day is, what type of sealant should I opt for? An aerosol type such as Vittoria Pit Stop, or the Zefal equivalent, or a liquid one such as Tufo Extreme? Or should put some sealant in at the very beginning, or only in case of a puncture? Your suggestions would be very welcome.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I just carry a spare tub. sealant complicates tub repair.

fogman

by fogman

I had success with Orange Seal to repair a small pinhole puncture in my Vittoria Corsa G+ tubular. This was my first and only experience with repairing a tubular flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

KCookie

by KCookie

Orange seal works well. I also carry a spare tub as suggested.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Orange Seal, the regular version, especially for high pressure road tires. It seals better/quicker than the "Endurance" version, which basically just stays liquid for longer when it's in the tube but doesn't seal as well. And I don't use it as a preventative measure. I just add about 15ml through the removeable (remove it first) valve core if and when i get a flat, rotate it to where the puncture is, then reinsert the valve core and inflate it. Using it this way will allow you to use the tire as a spare when the time comes to replace it if you're lucky enough to never flat till then, which you can't do if it's got sealant in it. I've never "repaired" a tubular, and don't plan on starting. That said, there's never been a time that the Orange Seal hasn't worked for me. I find it even easier to fix a flat than a tubed clincher at this point. Forget the aerosols like PittStop, and my experience with it was the only time that I became "stranded". I've used Tufo a long time ago and it works to seal as well, but I'm not sure if their "Extreme" version is meant to be like Orange Seal's "Endurance" formula. If it is, and it favors lasting longer as a liquid once in the tube at the expense of better sealing, then I'd just get the Regular Tufo if it seals better. I do still carry a pre-glued tubular, because I'm sure there will be a time when I actually need it, but since I've been bringing along some sealant, all has been good.
Last edited by Calnago on Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

markyboy

by markyboy

Tufo extreme
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

upside

by upside

I have tried many of them and settled with Orange Sealant. I doesn't dry out.. seals well.

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

Thanks for the input guys.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I'm fed up of throwing away good tubulars just because of a flat. Sealant also adds weight and increases rolling resistance. I have used sealant in tubs it works but I cant be bothered any more. I still cary a spare tub anyway because the selant cant be reliaed upon so I might as well not put sealant in. Sealant for me is for tubeless setups.

sungod

by sungod

if the tub is well worn, i use tufo extreme

if the tub is still new-ish, fit the spare, repair tub

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

If the tub is well worn its already a spare.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

PokojniToza wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:12 pm
Recently I have pulled the plug on some Campy Bora wheels, and since I have never used tubs before I am overthinking everything tub related. So my question of the day is, what type of sealant should I opt for? An aerosol type such as Vittoria Pit Stop, or the Zefal equivalent, or a liquid one such as Tufo Extreme? Or should put some sealant in at the very beginning, or only in case of a puncture? Your suggestions would be very welcome.

No sealant in the tire until u got flat..In that case sealant or just tub replace on the road (part of my must bring with me is Tufo Elite Jet <135gm. It's rolls same size as regular clincher tub, and for spare is perfect (i had to use it only once for now).

If i opt for sealant (ussually first thing to try when i have a puncture), i use Tufo Extreme (tried Vittoria Pit Stop, does not work that well or working at all). Also have Conti Revo Sealant but no chance to try for now...

Add sealant only when u have a puncture, since no point to do it in the beggining.. Also consider another problem with sealant specially if u go with Latex Inner Tube Tubulars (like Corsa G+). If there is sealant, and u forgot to pump the tire and all the air is deflated, sealant will dry and possible to tear up the inner tube as soon as u pump it back.. Also clogging of the vent can be a bit problematic..

Anyway it's not that complicated as look like, and for now i had twice puncture where Tufo helped (and i rode the same tires for another 1000 km after the flat). The last two punctures was from sharp rock/stone on sidewall, so no sealant helped (too big cut). But spare tire bring me home (80 km ride).

Dont overthink tubs.. As long u overthink, u'll regret more when u discover benefits of tubs..

What u need to switch to tubs:

- Spare tub (old tub, or dedicated tub which u want to be as light as possible, and to be able to bring u home.. I choosed Tufo Elite Jet <135gm)

- Vittoria Mastik One glue (never tried Conti glue, but based on other user experience i started with Vittoria Mastik and dont regret.. )

- The cheapest possible wheel stand to be able to do glue job (possible without, but much easier if u have one). I have some cheap TACX

- Old rim or wheel to be able to stretch the new tires (i use old cracked rim)

- Some free time and patience...

That's it.. Just for a record of last tubs i rode:

1. Vittoria Corsa G+ - Rear 3700 km after i got a puncture (sidewall exploded, not possible to reapair). Front Corsa G+ still ok with about 3500 km.

2. Continental Sprinter - Front 5300 km no punctures. Rear 5700 km (side wall cut)

Ako castis kafe vo Outdoor, i ke ti pokazam kako da gi zalepis koga ke gi kupis :)