Wheel choice? Campy v. Fulcrum...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

joelpace

by joelpace

I need help on the choice of a new wheel set. Just built an F10, with Campy SR EPS. Need a new wheel set. Want to go with either Campy Bora 50s or Fulcrun Racing Speed 55s. Boras are safe and wonderful. Love them. Fulcrum are more rare and a bit deeper. I have a pair of Quattro Carbons that are awesome too. Torn. If those are the only two choices, what would you do?

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

I'd pick based on depth, graphics the lacing pattern.
Did the same - except bora 35 vs racing speed 40. Picked the fulcrums, basically due to the graphics.
Chasse patate

KotP

by KotP

Ones or Ultras? Tubular or clincher?

Fulcrum Speed clincher are on par with Ones, Ultras have the better hubs.

CLEAR

by CLEAR

Just preference. Once upon a time, was using Bora Ultra Two and Racing Speed XLR. I wasnt advance enough to know the differences...just rode them both for couple of years without hiccups. I think RS XLR is like Ultra to Bora. And racing speed is like One. Finally upgraded the fulcrum to Bora Ultra 50 and 35

Quattro Carbon isnt in the same league as say Bora 35 (one, let alone ultra). Former is sealed cartridge bearings, latter are cup and cone bearings...

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Given the similarities - you absolutely will not be able to discern a difference between the two, just choose the one that matches your groupset - Campy. I can't imagine anyone who is admiring your very fine bicycle saying "that's great, all it needs is a set of Fulcrums and it would be perfect".
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

tommasini

by tommasini

I don't know this first hand, but thought I'd read that Fulcrums were more price point so they had cartridge bearings while Boras most definilty have cup and cone / adjustable bearings. Please correct me if that hearsay is incorrect.

joelpace

by joelpace

Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:26 pm
Given the similarities - you absolutely will not be able to discern a difference between the two, just choose the one that matches your groupset - Campy. I can't imagine anyone who is admiring your very fine bicycle saying "that's great, all it needs is a set of Fulcrums and it would be perfect".
Okay. Good point. I think the dark label Bora's it is......I still think the Fulcrums are very nice. Maybe I'll get them for the Aeroad.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

tommasini wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:47 pm
I don't know this first hand, but thought I'd read that Fulcrums were more price point so they had cartridge bearings while Boras most definilty have cup and cone / adjustable bearings. Please correct me if that hearsay is incorrect.
speed 55c are cup and cone. Same hub, different sticker.
You're thinking of quattro carbons.
Chasse patate