Spin on These open mold?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tomcooling25

by tomcooling25

In the market for a new set of wheels and I've come across the spin on these wheels from Spin Industries.

They look great but i'm concerned that they could be well built badged up open mold rims from lightbicycle or farsport etc...
Any thoughts?

Do any of you have them and if so what are they like?

Cheers

ancker

by ancker

Neat graphics. Terrible website. Questionable claims.

They are probably no better or worse than any other carbon wheels. Lightbicycle and Farsports are pretty well regarded, so if they are just rebadged, good, except you're probably paying a lot more for fancy stickers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

F45

by F45

The last time I used the term "spin on these" was not in the context of bicycle riding. :lol:

Marin

by Marin

tomcooling25 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:19 pm
could be well built badged up open mold rims from lightbicycle or farsport
If that's the case you'd be lucky since LB and Farsports produce some of the best rims in the world, and you should consider buying direct from them instead. Spinonthese are probably sourcing from less reputable manufactureres though.

AJS914

by AJS914

It seems obvious that they don't have a carbon fiber wheel factory in the UK. They might have their own molds with rims being made in China or Taiwan.

Their 58mm deep 28mm wide rims look a lot like Farsports. This company is a bit stingy with close up pictures of the rims, there are no pictures of the cross section, and they don't even tell you the internal width of the rim in the specs. The hubs look like oem Bitex to me.

They may build much better wheels than LB or Farsports and provide much better warranty and service. Is it worth more than twice the price? It's hard to say.

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

I have both the 45mm and the 58mm SL version wheels and absolutely love them.

Strong, stiff, fast, light, smooth, good looking but above all very very safe. Never been caught by winds, side or otherwise and instill so much confidence in me as a rider. Drew the owner / wheel builder a sterling chap and knows his lemons.

Ulimately, not bothered if they are rebadged tawainese or chinese wheels they all come from the same place. I have Giant SLR0 climbing wheels and my mate has Enve 2.2 and up close they are effectively the same wheels in our opinions.

Inherently better than any Zipp wheels I have ridden historically and this includes 303, 404 and 808 on my TT bike.

Nice one.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

diegogarcia wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:47 pm
Drew the owner / wheel builder a sterling chap and knows his lemons.

Ulimately, not bothered if they are rebadged tawainese or chinese wheels they all come from the same place.
He might be a sterling chap in person, but if they are rebadged Taiwanese/Chinese rims and hubs then he’s outright lying about his company all across his website, which (IMO of course) isn’t a sterling way to do business.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

It's quite a bold claim to say you have the only wheel on the market designed for 25mm tyres. It's also wrong. The hubs don't have the STD bitex hub shel but the freehub description is of a bitex design. So at the very least they have bitex internals. If it's not bitex then someone has copied there pawl ratchet arrangement of 2 groups of 3 pawls.

The one thing I did notice is there is no description of what spokes are used.

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Karvalo wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:03 pm
diegogarcia wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:47 pm
Drew the owner / wheel builder a sterling chap and knows his lemons.

Ulimately, not bothered if they are rebadged tawainese or chinese wheels they all come from the same place.
He might be a sterling chap in person, but if they are rebadged Taiwanese/Chinese rims and hubs then he’s outright lying about his company all across his website, which (IMO of course) isn’t a sterling way to do business.
Was saying not bothered as happy with the product. Before you send the internet police in he may well be producing his own stuff. Good luck to the bloke. Great wheels in a sea of crap.

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

bm0p700f wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:31 pm
It's quite a bold claim to say you have the only wheel on the market designed for 25mm tyres. It's also wrong. The hubs don't have the STD bitex hub shel but the freehub description is of a bitex design. So at the very least they have bitex internals. If it's not bitex then someone has copied there pawl ratchet arrangement of 2 groups of 3 pawls.

The one thing I did notice is there is no description of what spokes are used.
He machines his own spokes. Look up the Francis Cade video 'the fastest race wheels' on you tube.

https://youtu.be/QJUL4KEeGW8

AJS914

by AJS914

All he is doing is cutting the spokes to length and adding the threads. I've heard of other wheelbuilders doing this so that they don't have to stock a million sizes of spokes.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Yes spin on will be cutting and threading spokes. they wont be making the spokes from scratch. There is one U.K spoke manufacturer that I know of, central wheel components and they make either cheap plain guage spokes for bicycles or motorcycle spokes.

The brand and type of spoke is still absent from the product specifiation. We cant tell the guage, shape or anything except they are silver. They could be Sapim, DT Swiss, alpina, pillar, CN or something else that we have never heard of. The owner should add this to the website.

I get my spokes from sapim in bags of 500 to lengths I need. That saves me the time cutting and threading which for one spoke is not long but add it up over the year means Id rather have sapim do it.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

Are they really building with steel nipples (not brass)?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The product description said Sapim alloy nipples.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

bm0p700f wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:58 am
Yes spin on will be cutting and threading spokes. they wont be making the spokes from scratch. There is one U.K spoke manufacturer that I know of, central wheel components and they make either cheap plain guage spokes for bicycles or motorcycle spokes.

The brand and type of spoke is still absent from the product specifiation. We cant tell the guage, shape or anything except they are silver. They could be Sapim, DT Swiss, alpina, pillar, CN or something else that we have never heard of. The owner should add this to the website.

I get my spokes from sapim in bags of 500 to lengths I need. That saves me the time cutting and threading which for one spoke is not long but add it up over the year means Id rather have sapim do it.
Fair enough. So your wheels are part hand built then ? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

All jokes aside, lets say credit to the guy as he is building exceptional wheels.

Lets try not to turn this into another weight weenies aggressive bun fight as that is all this forum seems to be of late. I know better than you etc etc. I realise wheelbuilders all chase the same £ but his customer service, knowledge, website and product are to my mind excellent. As before as sum of all the parts and academic as to if sourced from indo china, mesopotamia, North Macedonia or Swaziland, what is is.

In terms of his wheels, I can only speak for myself when I say I am delighted, they are built to my requirements with sapim cx ray as requested and compared to other wheels I have had, including zipp, mavic, FFWD and so on they are easily as good, if not better but better is subjective and for some the sticker on the rim is the important bit. My 404's firecrest had such poor performance in the wind it was frightening and my 303 rear kept de-tuning itself.