How to identify real Zipp 1080

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Planning to buy used Zipp 1080, but not sure, is it genuine Zipp or not.
Thanks in advance.

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MaraudingWalrus

by MaraudingWalrus

Looks to be of the right vintage where they would have sold rims to a wider variety of shops and builders to build to that era DT hub rather than a Zipp house brand hub. Looks legitimate enough. Plus that little sticker in the first picture should have a barcode of some sort. Can use that and call Zipp to confirm.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Seems to be 2008 with internal nipples.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Looks to be legit. I had one, since sold, that was 2010 vintage. Can’t remember if it had external nipples or not. I seem to think it did, but can’t be sure. I had it built with a DT 190 hub instead of the 240. It was hard to get a 20hole rear hub if I remember correctly. If it’s a 10sp freehub on there it’s a simple matter to swap that out for an 11sp if that’s what you need now.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Price for this wheel is 330€/380$. I think its better deal than those chinese weels with Novatec hubs.
Internal nipples are not the best, but rim this deep can´t go out of true, specially on TT bike.

ergott

by ergott

The SN# barcode is in the right place for Zipp

rainerhq

by rainerhq

More Zipp identification help needed.
Bought 808 front. I think its 2008; 2009, but not sure.
715g, tubular

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

First gen firecrest
Using Tapatalk

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Thanks.
So its fast even in todays terms :D
Also I can´t understand from Zipp support pages, did they make 1080 also in Firecrest?
This:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think both that 1080 and the 808 shown above are pre Firecrest, but to be honest I can’t even remember exactly what “Firecrest” was anymore. I owned both those rims, purchased new in 2010 but built them up to DT190 hubs with black spokes. The 1080 wasn’t around all that long as ZIPP explained the discontinuation due to the 808 actually being faster, at least that was the spin they put on it. A bit like when they had all the “forward thrust” hype over their disc with the bulbous sides (sub 9 or zero or something). It actually gave a forward “lift” effect. Well, “actually” may have been a strong word, but with all the new superbikes being brought out at the time that disc often had clearance issues with the “bulge”. So they made the flatter Super 9 to replace it and guess what... even though it didn’t have the forward lift of the toroidal bulge, it was just as fast, maybe faster. I don’t know about that, but at least you could fit it in the new frames.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Firecrest should be wider (more U shape) where the nipples sit?