Thoughts about new Enve Carbon Road hubs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

scb

by scb

ergott wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:12 pm
kavitator wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:16 am
I think ENVE is not targeting them to sale them a lot.
"Hey if their hubs are worth $1000 their wheels must be better than..."

That's what they are shooting for.
But Enve only charges $100 more than DT Swiss 240.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

scb wrote:
ergott wrote:
kavitator wrote:

Huh? Checking the first retail site that came to mind, Fairwheel Bikes, the DT Swiss 240 hub set was $634, in the most expensive configuration (Boost, CL). $580 for road/rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kode54

by kode54

i running on the Enve gen 1 carbon hubs...and had some issues on one pair which developed some side to side play in the rear hubs. Enve replaced the hubs and relaced the wheel to the original rims under warranty.

i have not had any issues thereafter. i liked that I could service the hubs like the DT Swiss. quick n' easy.

now, OTOH, with Mavic internals...i gradually got rid of a few wheel sets due to the issues i had with the hubs. one with side to side play in the cassette that went away with replacement which i think was the Delrin or Teflon white sleeve inside the freehub. i didn't care much for the servicing of their hubs.
spdntrxi wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:07 am
I used Enve's older carbon hubs .. extralite hyper's... love them both. Extralite might not be great in the winter or foul weather and need routine maintenance which I did myself but I didn't have a problem with enve carbon hubs either. I'm no lightweight @ 80+kg and more of a sprinter.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

scb

by scb

LeDuke wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:22 pm
scb wrote:
ergott wrote:
kavitator wrote:

Huh? Checking the first retail site that came to mind, Fairwheel Bikes, the DT Swiss 240 hub set was $634, in the most expensive configuration (Boost, CL). $580 for road/rim.

On their website, for example, 3.4 rim clinchers with DT Swiss are $2900 and with new enve hubs $3000. Guess they are absorbing some of the cost diff between DT and Enve hubs

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

For £950 you can get Royce hubs with titanium flanges and carbon shell and titanium axles e.t.c

Not light but a work of art. I have bought a set of these made, with flange spacings I find acceptable.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

What you did on the DT Swiss hubs kode54 is not a a service as such. You pulled of the the freehub and renewed the star ratchet grease. A service to me is a bearing change. That is less easy in the rear hub.

kode54

by kode54

DT Swiss bearing change is not that easy, you're right. you also need the special tools to extract them.

never did that on the DT or Enve hubs.
bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:16 pm
What you did on the DT Swiss hubs kode54 is not a a service as such. You pulled of the the freehub and renewed the star ratchet grease. A service to me is a bearing change. That is less easy in the rear hub.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

LeDuke

by LeDuke

kode54 wrote:DT Swiss bearing change is not that easy, you're right. you also need the special tools to extract them.

never did that on the DT or Enve hubs.
bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:16 pm
You need a special tool to extract one of the bearings. One. You will likely do this once or twice on the lifetime of the wheel.

RyanH

by RyanH

Freehub bearing replacement was easy, tap the bearings out and press the new ones in.

Regarding the Enve hubs, I hope they fixed the play issues.

kode54

by kode54

the bearing play was only on one of my gen1 carbon hub which Enve fixed. could have been one of the bearing races or bearing itself...but they replaced the entire rear hub according to their work order sheet that was returned with the wheel.

@bm0p700f ...good to know there's only one die tool needed for the bearings.
RyanH wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:32 am
Freehub bearing replacement was easy, tap the bearings out and press the new ones in.

- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

kode54 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:30 pm
the bearing play was only on one of my gen1 carbon hub which Enve fixed. could have been one of the bearing races or bearing itself...but they replaced the entire rear hub according to their work order sheet that was returned with the wheel.

@LeDuke ...good to know there's only one die tool needed for the bearings.
RyanH wrote:

- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

MisterEd

by MisterEd

Had a pair of gen 1's replaced under warranty due to play, it was an issue with the hub rather than the bearings.

I'd heard that problems with them were fairly common so had them replaced with Chris Kings.

kode54 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:30 pm

@bm0p700f ...good to know there's only one die tool needed for the bearings.
RyanH wrote:

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Le duke. I dont care how infrequently a bearing has to be changed (there are many hubs that give long bearing life without proerpriety tools or have to remove the ratchet ring or ring nut in DT Swiss's case) it is needlessly hard although to make the ring nut bigger the hub weight would go up so I can see why they have done it that way.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Actually once the ring nut is out you dont need DT Swiss's tools for the bearings. The wheels manufacturing bearing press and over axle kit deals with it.