Thoughts about new Enve Carbon Road hubs?

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
otoman

by otoman

https://www.enve.com/en/journal/behind- ... %20Product

I’m curious what the wheel builders out there think of the new hubs. Of course the above website smacks of cycling “white paper” marketing. Do these seem to solve any problems?
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

by Weenie

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

paired spoking is an issue. non on the common spoke calculators will deal with paired spoking. spoke length calculation is possible but home builder would have problems.

255g for the pair and $1000 USD (they will be £1000 over here) but Carbon Ti and extralite produce lighter hubs that are cheaper. I am not sure what practical benefit the enve hubs offer.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

bm0p700f wrote:paired spoking is an issue. non on the common spoke calculators will deal with paired spoking. spoke length calculation is possible but home builder would have problems.

255g for the pair and $1000 USD (they will be £1000 over here) but Carbon Ti and extralite produce lighter hubs that are cheaper. I am not sure what practical benefit the enve hubs offer.
Not to mention they went from DT Swiss internals to...

Wait for it...

...Mavic.

In a thousand dollar set of hubs! Insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RussellS

by RussellS

Agree with bm0p700f. Extralite hubs are $480 at StarBike and 180 grams. Paying double the price for an extra 70 grams with Enve doesn't make much sense. Extralite hubs are not perfect, but I don't think anyone has any major problems with them.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I used Enve's older carbon hubs .. extralite hyper's... love them both. Extralite might not be great in the winter or foul weather and need routine maintenance which I did myself but I didn't have a problem with enve carbon hubs either. I'm no lightweight @ 80+kg and more of a sprinter.

F45

by F45

Mavic went to star ratchet this year. Who knows, maybe they finally got their hubs right.

My hang up has already been posted. There are already lighter AND cheaper options.

The Cyclingnews article gushed "The front hub is truly feathery at a claimed 70g". dweebs.

ergott

by ergott

Center to Flange 39.5mm L-37mm, R-19mm
No they're not. Guarantee that's measured to outside of flange. It's an old trick to make bracing angles sound better than they are. Take half the typicaly flange thickness of 3.4 (1.7mm) and you get 17.3 which is fine. Just irks me when it's displayed like that.

I'm sure they're great

Marin

by Marin

The major issue is that they look like the bottom drawer novatecs you get on those 250$ aliexpress carbon wheels.

Last edited by Marin on Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ergott

by ergott

Just on bearing placement and flange spacing alone Boyd 85 hubs are better. Boyd hubs also have interchangeable axle ends and no special tools needed for servicing. I'll take the weight penalty if it for a rider that puts out a lot of power and likes standing while climbing.

F45

by F45

I'd like to see the carbon shells on a scale next to aluminum shells, just to see how much weight they really save.

flying

by flying

bm0p700f wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:49 am
255g for the pair and $1000 USD
:shock:

I guess I am just getting old but that price just for hubs seems so far beyond
the beyond to me that I cannot even imagine it.

kavitator

by kavitator

I think ENVE is not targeting them to sale them a lot.
In their wheelsets they will hve them and not CK ,DT,....

Price is like for spare parts high (i work in petrol buissnies where special components are needed - explosive cones - and spare parts here are crazy expensive (factor 10times)

ergott

by ergott

kavitator wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:16 am
I think ENVE is not targeting them to sale them a lot.
"Hey if their hubs are worth $1000 their wheels must be better than..."

That's what they are shooting for.

MaraudingWalrus

by MaraudingWalrus

I commented on the bikerumor post about them. It seems to have gotten Chad @ mavic a bit upset.

https://bikerumor.com/2018/12/06/enve-c ... hell-more/

What I didn't say there, is that this really reeks of something that the parent organization of the two companies (Enve and Mavic) made Enve do to swap to using Mavic internals to stop paying DT Swiss to use their internals.

As for their funky paired spoke drilling configuration...the last time I had something like that was in the Rotor RVolver hubs I built up. Rotor was no help in providing dimensions, so it was some measuring on my end with some educated guessing. Took a second round of spokes to get it right. Was a pain. And the bleeping hubs were garbage and Rotor wants them back from the customer once the customer complained about issues with them. Rotor has yet to give me a shipping label for the hubs to send them back, so they're sitting on my bench. They call occasionally, but until they make it right on my end & pay to get their stuff back...there they shall sit.

F45

by F45

The star ratchet is no longer patented so who cares who makes it? It's hard to get wrong anyway.

by Weenie