Latex Tube + Sealant = no Leakage?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rgamble

by rgamble

That's pretty much the question.

Would sealent in a latex tube prevent air leaching out over the course of a few days.

In effect making it like a butal tube. This is in the context of tubulars but woud also apply to clinchers.

Thanks.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

Certainly not with Orange Seal. I tried some in a latex tube - the tube still gradually lost pressure at the same rate as a normal latex tube, and when I unmounted the tyre, I found a sticky goo all over the outside of the tube and the inside of the tyre and rim.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

i find it will reduce leakage a bit, but it will still lose pressure much faster than a butyl tube - this is based on experience after using tufo extreme in normal amounts to fix punctures in latex tubed tubs

perhaps if you put in a large amount it'd reduce it further, but i think it'd be far better to use a butyl tube if low leakage is the objective

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Does not work and it can stick your tube to itself. Then you get a proper leak. You may wonder how I know.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Huh? What am I missing?

I put Orange Seal in Vittoria latex tubes and it has been just fine. The tubes now hold air much better. There has been no leakage of sealant. I have even changed tires, moved the tubes to other wheels and tires, moved them back, etc. It's all good. Vittoria recommends sealant and I have seen comments from others with similar experience as mine.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.