Reynolds AR Series Wheels - AR58/62

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NJCyclist

by NJCyclist

Does anyone have any experience with the new Reynolds AR Series wheels, specifically the AR58/62 disc? They can be had from Reynolds for under $1k with the holiday sails and look like a great deal. 58mm deep front with 19mm internal and 62mm rear with 21mm internal. Perhaps a little heavy at just over 1700 grams, but that could likley be improved down the road with CX-rays and lighter hubs. They us Reynold's "TR3" hubs, which look like decent straight-pull jobs, but I can't find any further info on them. I'd love to hear someon who's ridden any of the AR wheels or at least seen them in person.
Co-Founder SmrT Hydration
https://smrthydration.com/
https://www.facebook.com/smrthydration
#saddlebagssuck

neeb

by neeb

It's weird that these wheels have been out for some time now but there is almost no information on or reviews of them.

They seem to be Reynold's attempt at a budget carbon deep-section wheel that follows all of the current trends, but bucks their own established designs (which are actually very good). Came across this thread as I've just bought a pair of used Reynolds Aero 58s, which are brilliant wheels but completely different to the AR58s (which is a little confusing as AR could be wrongly taken to be an abbreviation of Aero).

The Reynolds Aero wheels were (still are) mid- to high-end wheels using the DET profile, which is externally wide with a curved shape, but coming to a sharp V at the bottom, in contrast to the trend for rounded profile rims such as zipp etc. I can personally vouch for the fact that they are very fast and great in crosswinds - from what I've read both the Reynolds DET profile and rounded profiles such as zipp firecrest are founded on sound aerodynamic principles but work in completely different ways.

- The older Aero 58s I've got (not the latest model) have the DET profile, 26.5 external width and 16mm internal width. Although the 16mm internal is narrower than currently fashionable it actually works really well for clinchers aerodynamically, keeping them pretty much at stated width when mounted and well within the 105% rule. The wheels also have low spoke counts (16/20). They're great! I run them with 23mm clinchers at 100/95psi although they are suprisingly comfortable even with those tyres and very aero. I guess you could put 25mm tyres on and sill just scrape within the 105% rule.

- The current model Aero wheels (e.g. the Aero 65) also have the pionty DET profile but are 28mm externally and 19 internally. They have more spokes (18/24). I guess that 23mm and 25mm tyres on this wider 19mm internal profile would measure something like 25mm and 27mm and so provide similar interface with the 28mm external profile as the older 16mm internal width does with the 26.5mm external profile, but with more air volume if that's your thing. I'd be curious to know if they are actually faster than the older model when fitted with the same tyres however, given the larger frontal area and greater spoke count - maybe it would depend on the road surface, Cr and rider weight?

- The AR58s (and other AR models) seem to be entry-level wheels and have the rounded firecrest-type profile instead of the DET profile. They are 100g heavier than both the current and the older Aero models, have still more spokes on the front (20/24), and like the current generation Aeros are 28mm externally and 19mm internally. My guess is that they are aimed at the less discerning customer who just wants whatever is on-trend (wide internal, rounded profile), while Reynolds keep the arguably superior DET profile for their high-end wheels. The only review I've found of the AR58s (a review of a Canyon bike to which they were fitted) suggests that they are terrible in crosswinds and heavy feeling, which is the exact opposite of the Aero 58s..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

calleking

by calleking

neeb wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:19 pm
text
Great reply neeb. Currently looking for a ~$1500 wheelset for a mate. Stumbled upon the 58/62AR combo but seems like a bad idea. Bora One 50 clinchers are still my top pick. To be continued... :D
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Old post but I have a pair of the AR58 and they seem to be a good set for the price on my Allez sprint. I don't feel like they're that heavy, but im also coming from the stock aluminum clinchers. I've also haven't noticed many issues with wind etc. For the money compared to others like zipp, roval and enve they do the trick!

BBres

by BBres

Is there anyone else who actually rides AR 58/62 (not the X version)? I am considering a purchase. I am wondering if the weight of 1730 grams if actual and precise weight as I've read some French review where it was written the weight is 1670 grams.

And what about the spokes? Are those bladed or round spokes?

renoracing

by renoracing

I have a pair of the AR 58/62. Mine were right at 1770(I think I had tape and valves installed at the time). The X version of Reynolds wheels typically shaves 100-150 grams, so perhaps that was what their review was of.
The spokes are Sapim CX-Sprint, which are aero/flat. They're similar to the widely used CX-Ray spoke, but a bit stiffer and heavier(about 50grams for a full wheelset).

BBres

by BBres

Thanks for your feedback.

You're right, the X version is a little bit lighter due to alloy nipples, different spokes (for sure?) and, allegedly, CNC machined hubs

But are you sure the spokes in regular AR version are CX-Sprint? According to the specs the X version is fitted with CX-Sprint spokes, whereas in standard AR it is just "Sprint". No additional info on Sapim's website about the spokes. Then I am wondering if they are Sapim at all. I don't think the spokes in standard AR and X version are the same spokes - in such a case the weight difference would be smaller.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com