Campag Bora One 35 or Roval CLX 32

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dshiels

by dshiels

In the market for a set of "do it all" carbon clinchers for a Canyon Ultimate I am building up.

I currently have a set of Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL-C which I used this summer, but I wasn't blown away by their performance and their wet weather braking wasn't great.

This will be a day to day wheelset for racing, climbing, wet weather riding etc so decent braking, stiff and reasonable light are the requirements.

I had shortenedd my list to the above two wheelset with the Campags probably edging out the Rovals due to the better braking, however I can pick up the Rovals for about £200 less and the fact I already have a set of CLX50s (and love them) keeps bring me back to the Rovals.

I guess the first question is whether they will be a distinct improvement to the Mavic and then secondly any thoughts one which would be the better all round wheelset?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

You will get lots of different opinions here. Some will even offer you a different wheelset to buy. I have no experiences with the Rovals. But personally I prefer hubs without sealed bearings, at least in the hub shells. I own two sets of Boras and I do the hub service myself. There are four cup/cone bearings total and two sealed bearings in the freehub. IMHO the Campy USB/Cult hubs (I have both) are superlative. I think people underestimate the importance of hubs in a wheelset. To me the hubs are the heart of the wheelset. So if anything I'll give the Campy the edge due to its superlative hubs. GL with your purchase.

Wookski

by Wookski

This is a stupid question, Campagnolo make the best factory wheels money can buy. Rovals are just OEM garbage and you’re not even riding a Specialized.

hannawald

by hannawald

pdlpsher1: Can you feel any difference between Cult and USB? Thanks!
+1 for Boras, I have read reviews about CLX and braking is not that great.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

hannawald wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:05 pm
pdlpsher1: Can you feel any difference between Cult and USB? Thanks!
+1 for Boras, I have read reviews about CLX and braking is not that great.
I cannot feel the difference while riding. However on the bike stand the Cult has significantlyly less friction in the 'spin' test and it spins forever. So there's a power saving for sure although it might be a very small one when riding. I decided to try the Cult Bora after veing very happy with the USB Bora. My USB is the 50mm and the Cult is the 35mm depth. The USB Bora is by no means slow but the Cult Bora is on another level in the spin test. The ceramic balls are the same between the two. So the friction difference comes down to the grease vs. oil and the special stainless steel race the Cult has.

In this Fulcrum promotion video, it says the friction loss in the USB bearing is 2.7w vs. the Cult's 0.4w. And in the spin down test the USB's 8min. vs. Cult's 45min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJNJB19BzDw

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Get the Boras!!
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dshiels

by dshiels

Bora's purchased. Thanks everyone