What's the new hot alloy tubeless rim?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AJS914

by AJS914

Just online quoted weights.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

AJS914 wrote:Just online quoted weights.
Ok so 50+ g above measured Mavic Open Pro. Still don’t see how any of those rims appears better than the Open Pro. Some mentioned the low rated tire pressure but inline with rating of narrower rims (recall 115 psi for 28mm on narrow rims, then 87 for a 28 tire that measure 31mm doesn’t seems totally off)

Would just wish they release the initially planned Exalith brake version. That would be fantastic to train in bad weather conditions

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

mentok

by mentok

I've been reasonably impressed by my DT Swiss 470db rims on my commuter. 450g, 23mm deep, 24mm wide, 20mm internal. My schwalbe pro ones sit very plump on them. Built up very easily. Relatively cheap in europe too, like EU35. The 460 looks OK too (i ran one of these for ~6months and was happy with it as well), as does the lighter 411 at 410g.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

C36 wrote:
AJS914 wrote:
kulivontot wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:49 pm
It seems like it's really hard to find a sub 400g rim these days. What are the new options?
You might consider:

Aforce AL33 - 465g
Hed Belgium / Belgium + 465g
Boyd Altamont / Altamont Lite 485g / 445g
Easton R90SL 455g
Kinlin has various lighter rims.

Maybe the Altamont Lite is the ticket for you?
Are those real or theoretical weights?
Aforce al33 are 500g real, then a lot less interesting

Aforce Al33 = 495 grams
Boyd Altamont = 502 grams

https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/blog ... force-al33
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

AJS914

by AJS914

C36 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:32 am
Still don’t see how any of those rims appears better than the Open Pro.
More aero and maybe more durable?

ducman

by ducman

How do these compare weightwise to similar height carbon rims? Stifness? Anybody experience with this?

C36

by C36

AJS914 wrote:
C36 wrote:
More aero and maybe more durable?
More aero, not really or nothin mind blowing. You have 5w between the 24mm Ksyrium and the 30mm cosmic Elite.
Durable I haven’t seen anything about it.

F45

by F45

Monkeyfudger wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:22 pm
£40? Hardly pricey, most probably spend more a month on coffee.
ok it got cheaper since the last time I looked.

JoO

by JoO

I just build a set with kinlin XR22T rims
front 460 gr
rear (offset) 430 gr

DCR wheels offer 430 gr (claimed) rims. No experience with them

ergott

by ergott

C36 wrote:
The Open Pro is the only modern rim I know of with a low max tension of 110kgf. That limits the hubs I'd recommend building with to those with narrow flange spacing so there isn't a low tension on the rear left side. Then you have a wheel that's less laterally stiff or you have to add spokes and then you're right back up to the weights of the other rims. Best hub I can think of for that rim is DT. Otherwise, it's the last rim option I'd choose of the many mentioned here.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Mavic are also conservative with there max tensions. The had a 1000N limit for the old open pro. You could however exceed that and you had too.

the Kinlin XR22T averages around 450g and is a very good rim although the Easton R90SL rim is a similar weight and a bit wider and deeper. The kinlin is cheap though.

Phill P

by Phill P

how deep is the open pro these days? The mavic website quotes 19mm internal and 430g (and lets face it the marketing department tends to round that down - considerably...)

Unfortunately with low profile rims you must drill the tire bed as there isn't enough room to manuvour the spoke nipples around and into the holes. Shame as it would help stiffen up the structure just a little.

Just been on the fairwheel website - the astral radient is 32mm deep which would be an excellent Al rim but it is never going to be that light. They quote 495g and 19.5mm internal - too wide for 23mm tires if you were still thinking that. Our carbon rims are 18mm so they are great with 23s and 25s, then we do wider rims for 28+ road disc.
Astral solace at 22mm deep, 425g, and 19.5 internal is a nice light rim. If fairwheel are still selling them then they are clearly good quality, straight, and fairly durable for a light weight rim (light weight profiles are hard to extrude and rool into rims and keep them true.)
Easton R90sl sits between the two radients at 452g and 27mm deep and 19.5 internal. All these rims have a 20 hole option - but geez I don't know about a 22mm profile rim and 20 spokes.....27mm might be ok depending on your weight and roads etc.
HED Belgiums are aimed more at a low profile cobbles type rim - not really made for lightest weight.
Kinlin XR-22 is not surprisingly 22mm deep, 19mm internal, and 440g. A touch heavier than the solace, but also a lot cheaper. The XR-26 at 455g I think is a better rim, specially for lower spoke counts etc.

SO that is a number of good rims to consider in the 400-450(ish) gram weight range - including the Mavic Open pros
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

C36

by C36

Phill P wrote:how deep is the open pro these days? The mavic website quotes 19mm internal and 430g (and lets face it the marketing department tends to round that down - considerably...)
Indeed, use to... but those are some of the good surprises I have seenImageImage
(Not mine).

Phill P

by Phill P

wow the engineers must have been able to sneak the weight onto the website without the marketing Department seeing :P

Did you measure the high at the spoke holes and in the middle? The wave does look very flash. ANd they still use ferrals in the spoke holes (a lot of light rims just have raw holes)
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

NotMyRealName

by NotMyRealName

A small data set shows that Open Pro USTs are maybe not quite so reliable in the real world. A rear I built failed after just 2000km with a drive side spoke hole crack. It is at Mavic under consideration for warranty at present. While build tension may have snuck some small amount over the 110kgf limit, there is not a chance that it was more than 10% over. It could be a one-off, these could be the next problem rim on the market, I don't know.

I don't think rims coming in much under design weight are "good surprises." I think they are "time bombs."

I have posted here before, but for some obvious reasons I want to avoid identifying myself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com