What's the new hot alloy tubeless rim?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Hey guys,
been out of the Weight Weenie game for a couple years, looking to build up a new set of ultra-light alloy rims. I weigh 60kg, so pretty much every option is on the table for me.
In the past I had a couple sets of Stan's alpha 340's, built up 1150-1250g, depending on the rim generation, but I've tacoe'd like 3 of them now in crashes, and I keep having issues with road tubeless since the bead shelf design does nothing to keep the tire onto rim when it deflates (makes it impossible to seat them with a compressor with the valve core removed since you have to put it back in to re-inflate). I really liked the "Road Tubeless" American Classic wheels since they were hella light, and super easy to set up as tubeless, but of course they don't make them anymore.
My option used to be:
-Stan's 340 - tires explode off rims, expensive, and it seems like modern road tubeless tires don't like these rims
-Pacenti SL23's - rim cracking issues, replaced with Forza
-Amclassic road tubeless/RD2218 - out of business
-Ryde Pulse/Sprint - doesn't seem available anymore
-Kinlin XR22/26/31T - still available

It seems like it's really hard to find a sub 400g rim these days. What are the new options?

nachetetm

by nachetetm

Mavic Open Pro UST. Although they are suppoed to weight 435 gr per rim, most of the people are weighting them under 410 gr. They seem to work very well tubeless too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

+1 for the new Open Pro

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

ooo

by ooo

Rim brake or disc brake?

Pulse Sprint available from r2-bike
'

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I can't believe that in 2018 the best alloy rim is a Mavic open pro. What happened to this industry?
Rim brake preferred. Is it just a function of rims being wider now? Or did companies figure out that you can't build light rims without their customers cracking them?

silvalis

by silvalis

Why is that? They were only announced last year and became available this year...
Chasse patate

Multebear

by Multebear

kulivontot wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:43 am
I can't believe that in 2018 the best alloy rim is a Mavic open pro. What happened to this industry?
Rim brake preferred. Is it just a function of rims being wider now? Or did companies figure out that you can't build light rims without their customers cracking them?
We’re not talking about Open Pro’s, we’re talking about the newer version named Open Pro UST. Completely different animal.

Haven’t tried them, but there are a lot of positive reports online about them. A few negative as well though.

F45

by F45

Mavic makes a good rim when they set their mind to it. It just took them a loooooong time to get over themselves and update it.

Durability remains to be seen....at the prices they want I'm not the guinea pig.

They also threw in the towel on hubs - most of their 2019 mountain wheels have a DT star ratchet type design, with steel spokes!

"It seems like it's really hard to find a sub 400g rim these days. What are the new options?"

The market wants wider rims with the tubeless profile. That costs material. But aluminum material science hasn't improved much so you get offered heavier rims or they get taken off the market for durability reasons (Pacenti, Ryde, Alpha, etc....)

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

£40? Hardly pricey, most probably spend more a month on coffee.
Attachments
0D0EBF79-F303-422C-92F2-D6F8DB274F16.png

C36

by C36

F45 wrote: The market wants wider rims with the tubeless profile. That costs material. But aluminum material science hasn't improved much so you get offered heavier rims or they get taken off the market for durability reasons (Pacenti, Ryde, Alpha, etc....)
Aluminium will always have the same « material stiffness » (young modulus) and you are limited in terms of shapes (shape stiffness - the quadratic moment-). Some exotic aluminium (metal matrix type or Aluminium-lithium) are not really compatible with a rim extrusion process...
Then it’s not really that the science hasn’t improved but there are limited options technically possible. The 4D milling Mavic developed is the only real engineering improvement that exist to optimise stiffness-resistance to weight.

MikeD

by MikeD

kulivontot wrote:I can't believe that in 2018 the best alloy rim is a Mavic open pro. What happened to this industry?
I doubt the new Open Pro is very good. The old one wasn't. It also has a drilled rim bed, which is not as good as a rim that doesn't have spoke holes if you are using tubeless.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I had Ryde Trace 22. First tire popped off during cornering, then later on it cracked.
I went for DT Swiss and it has been great.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

AJS914

by AJS914

kulivontot wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:49 pm
It seems like it's really hard to find a sub 400g rim these days. What are the new options?
You might consider:

Aforce AL33 - 465g
Hed Belgium / Belgium + 465g
Boyd Altamont / Altamont Lite 485g / 445g
Easton R90SL 455g
Kinlin has various lighter rims.

Maybe the Altamont Lite is the ticket for you?

C36

by C36

AJS914 wrote:
kulivontot wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:49 pm
You might consider:

Aforce AL33 - 465g
Hed Belgium / Belgium + 465g
Boyd Altamont / Altamont Lite 485g / 445g
Easton R90SL 455g
Kinlin has various lighter rims.

Maybe the Altamont Lite is the ticket for you?
Are those real or theoretical weights?
Aforce al33 are 500g real, then a lot less interesting

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Kinlin XR22 or XR31