Alloy clincher (custom) wheels, 1150-1350g

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

clarinet5001

by clarinet5001

No problem. Something like that would work pretty well for you, and at your 53Kg weight if that's not a type-o then you should be fine with the lighter Laser / CX Ray spoke category as well. Whatever rim you choose that hub and spoke combination should work nicely.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dim

by dim

HED Belgium Plus rims weigh 469 grams .... quality rims, wider profile and also tubeless ready

mine are laced to Chris King R45 hubs (ceramic bearing upgrade) and Sapim CX Ray spokes .... I'm sure that with some other hubs, you could build a lighter wheelset than what I have

these rims are quality and have stayed true on shitty roads for thousands of Km's
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

clarinet5001

by clarinet5001

dim wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:54 pm
HED Belgium Plus rims weigh 469 grams .... quality rims, wider profile and also tubeless ready

mine are laced to Chris King R45 hubs (ceramic bearing upgrade) and Sapim CX Ray spokes .... I'm sure that with some other hubs, you could build a lighter wheelset than what I have

these rims are quality and have stayed true on shitty roads for thousands of Km's

Belgium Plus rims are hella durable, can practically smash them several times with a crowbar and they'll still run nicely. A 1500g wheelset that can do tens of thousands of miles with hubs you can reuse for several future builds is nothing to scoff at.

A buddyjust bought a pair with DT240S and Aerolite 24/28 spokes, he loves them.

How's their braking? My local wheel guy said he finds their braking isn't quite as good as the Eastons, but I wonder if that has something to do with the curved brake track thing? And if so, chances are it would improve as they wear in a bit.

dim

by dim

clarinet5001 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:16 pm
dim wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:54 pm

Belgium Plus rims are hella durable, can practically smash them several times with a crowbar and they'll still run nicely. A 1500g wheelset that can do tens of thousands of miles with hubs you can reuse for several future builds is nothing to scoff at.

A buddyjust bought a pair with DT240S and Aerolite 24/28 spokes, he loves them.

How's their braking? My local wheel guy said he finds their braking isn't quite as good as the Eastons, but I wonder if that has something to do with the curved brake track thing? And if so, chances are it would improve as they wear in a bit.
you have to use narrower brake pads .... HED recomends the Kool Stop Dura 2 .... I've been using these on my wheels from day 1 and they are brilliant... I'm currenty using Continental GP5000 TL tyres (tubeless) on these rims and so far, I'm well happy
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

clarinet5001

by clarinet5001

Sounds like the narrow pads might be the difference maker then.

dim

by dim

clarinet5001 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:11 pm
Sounds like the narrow pads might be the difference maker then.
not sure about the curved brake track? .... mine don't look curved, they are just a bit narrower and are flat like normal rims.... and all the tyres that I have used, install without the use of tyre levers (including the GP 5000 TL which many have said that they struggle to fit )
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

clarinet5001

by clarinet5001

Hmm. Might've been that I just got a really quick look at it. Or that the brake tracks are so much narrower that I thought they might be curved? The braking surface is flush with the rest of the rim, right? It didn't seem to be 'raised' like it is with many other rim brake rims from what I saw.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

For alloy rims the hed rims are nice but tubeless tyres can uh nseat if you flat. The Mavic open pro ust rims are the best of the light rims out there.

The Easton has poor availability over here so is a dead end.

clarinet5001

by clarinet5001

bm0p700f wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:34 am
For alloy rims the hed rims are nice but tubeless tyres can uh nseat if you flat. The Mavic open pro ust rims are the best of the light rims out there.

The Easton has poor availability over here so is a dead end.

I remember you said the Easton works better with tubeless than the HEDs do, although both rims are very nice. Interesting that the Easton rims aren't easy to get in Europe, in the States they're readily available.

They might as well all look at using the UST standard at this point? It works pretty well and AFAIK hasn't had any major problems.