New wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cycleman

by Cycleman

Hello ww

I am new here.well i have an bianchi aria and i am looking for better wheels.i like wide width.unfortunately i can't find a wheel with 25mm width,30 to 40 deep,with cup and cone,in max budget 1800e.campagnolo and fulcrum have cup and cone in this budget but is 24,2 width.

So i like corima ws and vision metrn 40.which is better?which have better quality hubs.as i read that the hubs without cup and cone after 3,4 services it creates a gap that is no so good.what is your opinion about this?

And also a quick question my bike is 50.is right for me?
i am 1,70 height
Saddle to handlebar is 50cm
Center from crankset to saddle (as the frame goes) 68,5cm.

Thanx a lot.
Last edited by Cycleman on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Why are you so hung up on such a small difference? Bora wheels are among the best and the hubs are second to none.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cycleman

by Cycleman

Cause corima have 26mm width.with a tyre at 25mm is super aero and beautiful.the tyre with wide width fits beautiful and is like one thing(does not make 8 between rim and tyre).ok maybe is not a big deal....but i think it gives you something in a straight line.also my bike had 25mm width wheels and i want to be like this.

AJS914

by AJS914

30mm tall rims aren't "super aero". If aero is your concern then go deeper - 50 or 60mm.

I looked on Corima's web site and they don't give the internal width anywhere. This is the measurement to look at. They refer to their 26mm wide 32mm tall wheel as being 16C. Campagnolo Boras are 17C so I guess wider where it counts.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

So you plan to keep using 23c on your next wheel?
Because 25mm is just 23c tire pair with rim with medium to narrow width.
My 23c conti measure 27.3mm when pair with real wide wheel (21mm internal width, 28mm external). In the future if it happen that your favourite tire stop offering in 23c then suddenly you can't find a tire that is fully aero optimized with your wheel anymore, right?

Also, when using less than 18mm internal width rim. You limit yourself the pressure that you can go down. Let say you put 28c on the rim. On wide rim, the wide rim base will stabilize your tire well and you can drop a lot of pressure without feeling squishy in hard corner. While on narrow wheel, although you could go down in pressure and it ride fine in straight line, you have to overinflate a bit to make cornering feel normal.

Try not to limit yourself to narrow tire and high pressure in 2018. Get real wider wheel, internally and externally. Something >18mm internally and >27mm externally.

For Cup&Cone hub, just buy Dura-ace hub and build with rim of your choice.

Cycleman

by Cycleman

With corima i can put 32mm deep front and 47mm back.so i can do everything ...climb cause is about 1500gram the pair and something aero cause is 47mm and 32mm with 26mm external width.normaly with 26mm width external is about 18mm internal.i am saying about the corima ws...not the corima s that's narrow.

I will use 25c tyre...

Campagnolo is not as wide as vision metron and corima.vision mteron is 40mm deep,1450gr,25,5mm external width and 17mm internal.while campy bora is 24,2 external and is think 16mm internal...maybe 17?they don t say.

So about my budget this two is about to choose.also if you know something else with this number you can teel me.which is better wheel from those two wheels?is there any other better wheel to choose?

Thanx in advance

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

If you want the best bearing set up, you’re right to go for cup and cone bearings. The only brands I am aware of that still offer this are Shimano & Campagnolo.

WRT rim width, the internal measurement is the determining factor in how the tyre sits. All current Campagnolo high end wheels, with the exception of Hyperons are 17C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Cartidge bearings can be very reliable. the difference is you cant change the bearings in them to extend life. Thats the only advantage of Cup and cone system bearing system.

Campagnolo hub system is fully serviceable so even the cups can be changed. With Shimano's hubs, the cups are not spare parts so the bearings have to replaced before they look like they need doing. this is almost never done and when I sugest it in some places its like I am screaming blasmphamy. This is the mistake people make. Also you would extend cup life with a shimano hub by replacing the grade 25 or grade 40 depending on the tier of the hub with grade 10 chrome balls which are rounder but chrome steel balls are less pit prone than stainless balls. However you have to use a persistant grease to keep the water out. Rock n Roll Super Web grease does seem to very good at this. Shimano know people dont service there hub properly so they use stainless balls. A service for most people is open the hub up cleans the bearings and grease if everything is shiney put it all back together. If you have done all that you might as well change the bearings because you cant see the beginings of wear but its there.

"quality" is actually all about the tollerances in the hub. You cant see these so the term is mostly abused.

Why do people state there height and age when asking about wheels. Your height and age have nothing to do with anything. Your weight sort of does but even that is not always very relevant.

Cycleman

by Cycleman

Nice info.

If i choose corima...can i change the hubs in the future? Or is not so good to do this?

kgt

by kgt

You can but Corima hubs are very good and easily serviceable.

Cycleman

by Cycleman

Αs i said before, after 3 4 services it creates a tiny gap that s not so good.that's why i am talking changing hubs.
Corima says 5.000km for first service.that is 15.000km for 3 services.many guys out there have problems with closed bearings.

15.000km for me is about 2years cycling.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

First services are easy. If you start to develop small gaps or play you could need to use loctite retaining compound. I add it now not only on the outer bearing race but also the inner.

I used it when swapping bearings on my old hub and the play went away. It's important to use low play bearings. Just because it says enduro or some other big brand doesn't always mean it's low play.

/a

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Cycleman wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:51 am
26mm width external is about 18mm internal.i am saying about the corima ws...not the corima s that's narrow.

I will use 25c tyre...

Campagnolo is not as wide as vision metron and corima.vision mteron is 40mm deep,1450gr,25,5mm external width and 17mm internal.while campy bora is 24,2 external and is think 16mm internal...maybe 17?they don t say.

So about my budget this two is about to choose.also if you know something else with this number you can teel me.which is better wheel from those two wheels?is there any other better wheel to choose?
If you stick with that two wheels, just know that they can be relatively aero but not as wide as it would be optimal with 25c. It contradict to your statement that you like wide wheel and want it 'super aero'. 25c at 27-28mm is too wide for optimum aero on 26mm external rim width.

Probably grab a Shimano hub or Campagnolo hub (off ebay or something) and build with Light-bicycle 36mm deep or 46mm deep, 21mm internal width, 28mm internal width rims (or Farsport or Yishun, Yoeleo etc. with similar width) would be my prefered way. It surely be way below the budget and weight similarly. Even my disc brake version 56mm deep 30mm external width and 23mm internal width wheelset weight 1508g (spoke hole plug included).
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 5#p1410068

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I agree with the above. If you are going aero, size the tire to the rims to be optimal for aero. Or go 23c for the rims you mentioned. Contis will measure closer to 25 anyway.

Chose the tires you want, and get an aero rim slightly wider or equal to true tire installed width, or be ready to size tires down to fit the rim that fits your budget.

Or use the rim and tire you want... but i say if you are going for the marginal gains from aero... do it right.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You change bearings when they are worn out not at a specific interval. Bearing life is almost predictable. Hubs with small bearings tend not to last too long. Bearings with non contact seals don't last too long.

The hubs I use personally tend to give 16000km of service life. But these hubs have big bearings and contact rubber seals. I use these hubs in wheel builds alot (miche Primato) so long hub life is possible.

The other hubs on the market which provide long bearing life are hope, royce and carbon ti X hubs. Dt swiss hubs can give long bearing life too but I'm not a fan.

So pick a hub with big bearings and contacting seals. That may mean getting wheels built on miche hubs and say screw weight.