24-spoke rear wheel - 2x vs 3x lacing pattern?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Catagory6

by Catagory6

the specs:
DT Swiss straight-pull hub, 24 hole
Sapim CX-ray, straight pull spokes
HED Belgium +, 24 hole rim

any real-world difference between 2x, and 3x lacing pattern?
its arriving in 3x pattern, and my instinct is to leave it as is.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Just leave it 3x until you need it relaced for whatever reason, then go 2x. For a 24H set-up, 2x lacing should result in enough radial bracing on a disc wheel or rear wheel. It's a very slight tradeoff between radial strength and axial/lateral bracing. 3x will also be ever slightly heavier. I personally wouldn't use 3x until at least 28H disc, and probably not until 32H.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

If it's straight pull, the spoking pattern is fixed, unless they've got some weird set up on the hub.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

If it's a straightpull hub you don't get any choice, you can only use the lacing pattern the particular hub is designed for. Secondly, DT Swiss straightpull hubs for 24 spokes are laced two cross. Only their 28 and 32 spoke rear hubs are laced three cross.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

description says 3x
i think the seller is considering the 2 opposing anchoring holes in the hub flange to be a cross
but otherwise, its 2x

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Just realised that running more crosses with fewer spokes results in the most extreme angles.

If you have 32-36h hubs then 3x looks much more "radial" than 2x on a 24h hub.

Maybe counting crosses isn't such a reliable measure for deterimining the balance between radial and torsional bracing.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

alcatraz wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:44 am

Maybe counting crosses isn't such a reliable measure for deterimining the balance between radial and torsional bracing.
It's a combination of flange diameter, number of drillings, rim diameter, etc. Obviously when dealing with drive and disc braking forces you want the spoke to be in line with the direction of acceleration. So like you just discovered, with fewer drillings, the fewer crosses you need. When you get to 48h and 52h wheels for, um, heavier people, you end up with 5-cross lacing patterns in order to get the correct radial bracing angle.

I did miss the fact that the OP's hub was straight-pull. Whoops.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You can't lace 24h hubs 3x whether straight pull or traditional flange. The seller is wrong. If it has been laced 3x don't buy the wheel.

Radial that refers to no crosses. Can we use the right terminology do we all know what each other is saying.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bm0p700f wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:54 am
You can't lace 24h hubs 3x whether straight pull or traditional flange. The seller is wrong. If it has been laced 3x don't buy the wheel.

Radial that refers to no crosses. Can we use the right terminology do we all know what each other is saying.

You can depending on geometry. ENVE's gen1 SES 3.4 Disc used 3x.

I was using radial to describe the direction of torque/force applied on the wheel components as opposed to axial/lateral bracing. Perhaps I should have just used "rotational" instead.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You can do 3x if you have a triplet hub with 16:8 drilling but that's not the same. But with 1:1 lacing I have not seem a hub where you can do 3x because the flange would have to get small and the freehubs is in the way.