DT Swiss Oxic 32/21 vs Racing Zero Nite

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hex

by Hex

What would you go for?

Just racing against yourself.

Full carbon wheelsets need not be mentioned here.

Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon exalith may be an option.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Fulcrum / Campa over DtSwiss any day.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hex

by Hex

mrlobber wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:55 pm
Fulcrum / Campa over DtSwiss any day.
Cool. May I ask why?

Pinguin

by Pinguin

Wait one or two month,then come the Tune Tsr 35 on market
Mayby a good alternative

Hex

by Hex

Pinguin wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:26 pm
Mayby a good alternative
OH!

My interest has peaked.
The inner width may be a bit...too much.
I run 19c inner at the moment and with the Schwalbe Pro Ones my front wheel barely clears the fork.
That extra 0.9mm of the Tune may just make the tires hit the fork...
Gonna have to wait and see on that one till December.

I don't mind waiting and I like the weight and depth.

Thanks for the tip!

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Hex wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:25 pm
Pinguin wrote:
Mayby a good alternative
OH!

My interest has peaked.
I run 19c inner at the moment and with the Schwalbe Pro Ones my front wheel barely clears the fork.

Thanks for the tip!
A very rough formula I have seen is that you can anticpate the tire to grow about 50% of the increase in rim width. so if that applied here then you could expect about .45mm increase in the tire size. Split between the left and right sides of the tire, that is a pretty minimal change, but if you are already nearly brushing the fork then I suppose it could put you over the edge.

Another thing to consider is that many people find that on a wider rim, due to the greater support of the tire, they can reduce their pressures a bit. Tire casings have some stretch and elasticity, so you might find that a wider rim, but with 5-10psi lower in the tire, leads to an identical inflated casing measurment.

And lastly, on that tire size topic, many people who go to a bit wider rim find they can run 1 size narrower tire, and arrive at the same actual tire width. If you go too far in that direction, you might compromise the security of the tire on the rim, but as long as it is within reason, then you may want to consider that option.

Getting back to your wheel choice, you are looking at spending a lot for aluminum wheels. At those prices, I would want something more in the Tune weight class, as the others looked kind of weighty for the cost. One caveat is that I noticed all your rims of interest have dark sidewall coatings. Is that because you want better braking power, or for the aesthetics? Depending on how wet or gritty your riding conditions are, those coatings can eventually wear through, and the Tune coating in particular is just a double anodizing, not actual ceramic, so it would likely be less durable than the others. Ceramic rims are back in vogue it seems, with an increasing number of options, so if I were in your shoes, and wanted ceramic, I'd also add some custom built wheels from a reputable builder into the mix. That would allow you to spec them out with whatever rims/hubs/spokes you wanted based on your weight and reliability goals.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

TheKaiser wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:48 pm
Hex wrote:
Pinguin wrote:
Mayby a good alternative
OH!

My interest has peaked.

Thanks for the tip!
A very rough formula I have seen is that you can anticpate the tire to grow about 50% of the increase in rim width. so if that applied here then you could expect about .45mm increase in the tire size. Split between the left and right sides of the tire, that is a pretty minimal change, but if you are already nearly brushing the fork then I suppose it could put you over the edge.

Another thing to consider is that many people find that on a wider rim, due to the greater support of the tire, they can reduce their pressures a bit. Tire casings have some stretch and elasticity, so you might find that a wider rim, but with 5-10psi lower in the tire, leads to an identical inflated casing measurment.

And lastly, on that tire size topic, many people who go to a bit wider rim find they can run 1 size narrower tire, and arrive at the same actual tire width. If you go too far in that direction, you might compromise the security of the tire on the rim, but as long as it is within reason, then you may want to consider that option.

Getting back to your wheel choice, you are looking at spending a lot for aluminum wheels. At those prices, I would want something more in the Tune weight class, as the others looked kind of weighty for the cost. One caveat is that I noticed all your rims of interest have dark sidewall coatings. Is that because you want better braking power, or for the aesthetics? Depending on how wet or gritty your riding conditions are, those coatings can eventually wear through, and the Tune coating in particular is just a double anodizing, not actual ceramic, so it would likely be less durable than the others. Ceramic rims are back in vogue it seems, with an increasing number of options, so if I were in your shoes, and wanted ceramic, I'd also add some custom built wheels from a reputable builder into the mix. That would allow you to spec them out with whatever rims/hubs/spokes you wanted based on your weight and reliability goals, and quite likely could cost less to boot.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Hex wrote:
Pinguin wrote:
Mayby a good alternative
OH!

My interest has peaked.

Thanks for the tip!

Getting back to your wheel choice, you are looking at spending a lot for aluminum wheels. At those prices, I would want something more in the Tune weight class, as the others looked kind of weighty for the cost. One caveat is that I noticed all your rims of interest have dark sidewall coatings. Is that because you want better braking power, or for the aesthetics? Depending on how wet or gritty your riding conditions are, those coatings can eventually wear through, and the Tune coating in particular is just a double anodizing, not actual ceramic, so it would likely be less durable than the others. Ceramic rims are back in vogue it seems, with an increasing number of options, so if I were in your shoes, and wanted ceramic, I'd also add some custom built wheels from a reputable builder into the mix. That would allow you to spec them out with whatever rims/hubs/spokes you wanted based on your weight and reliability goals, and quite likely could cost less to boot.

Hex

by Hex

TheKaiser wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:51 pm
Hex wrote:
Pinguin wrote:
Mayby a good alternative
OH!

My interest has peaked.

Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the feedback.

I see what you mean about the weight:price ratio
I don't want to buy a carbon wheelset. I like using cotton casing tires and I feel really bad if I get a rim that shreds them bit by bit.
On the brake track. I chose those because of the aesthetics more than the braking performance.
YEs. I also noticed that the Tune rim is anodized, so I do expect it to wear off rather quick, which would be a real shame.
For the price, the compete directly with the DT Swiss Oxic 32/21, but they win on the weight.
I've only found HED rims (rim brake) to be available in all black, and they are wide.

Width: Yes. My tires currently roll really close. I mean, close enough that I wouldn't want to chance a larger than 19c inner width.
With Veloflex, I have yet to try the new 28mm ones. Since their 25mm run alike other 23mms, I have to see if their 28mm Corsa/Master run same as Pro One/Vredestein 25mm or a bit smaller. If a bit smaller after some Kms, I may be OK with the 19.9c tune wheels.

Any rim recommendations?
The Kinlin 33t are the closest I found to the wheelsets I mentioned in "features" (depth/ starting to be a bit aero) and can be built rather light (~1400g CycleClinic or Hunt) but I am not too keen on the rim weld joint. I currently have a CERO branded Kinlin 22 rim wheelset (the one with 19c inner) and that joint can be sometimes felt when braking.

pocari123

by pocari123

I have the oxic 21’s, found them to be a bit lacking in terms of stiffness. Can’t comment on the racing zeros but have only heard good things about them.

The oxics are about $200-300usd cheaper where I’m from though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinguin

by Pinguin

https://www.blackcatwheels.ch/2018/10/b ... build.html

Hi
Send him a E-Mail and tell your wishes
I dont know the Rims,but you get a wheelset what is exactly build on your weight and power output
The building quality should be awesome

raggi

by raggi

Anyone seen/heard/experienced anything about the Tune TSR 35? Similar price to the DT Swiss dicut oxic 21, and similar weight despite being a bit deeper, but doesn't look like there's any info on them out there yet..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com