11s on FH-7801 success.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rukomasa

by rukomasa

Finally I could reawake my old-school to go wheel for the recent 11 speed bike.
It was shmano's dark past, 10s only freehub.

I had asked local motorcycle shop to machine taller spline smaller, width 1mm shorter to be 8/9/10 compatible freebody, and machine 105 11s cog spider 1.85mm thinner.

it is stupid but just want to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

No, it is not stupid at all. I'd rather call it conscious, esp. that 7800 hubs are IMHO the most classy looking, elegant ones Sh has ever produced.. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Looks like the end peaks of those freehub splines won't clear the inside chamfer of that cassette. Maybe the cassette machining needs a larger diameter.

rukomasa

by rukomasa

it looks like you are right but no mark remained even if super tighten the lock ring so that i believe they are not contacted each other. No adjustment needed from other 11s wheel. I am very satisfied.

Yes, classy look and set and forget duraace durability is the reason I didnt trash the wheel. will be my to-go wheel for rain, long ride or shopping whenever I dont want carbon wheel or shamal.ImageImage

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Ok cool. I'd retorque the lockring after 100+500km to ensure the cassette hasn't loosened by the splines bending back a bit. You'll notch the splines more than usual if the torque lowers.

Nice mod breathing new life into old wheels.

Aren't the new r8000 cassettes compatible with 10s freehubs out of the box? EDIT: The HG800 11-34t cassette is the only one 10s freehub compatible.

rukomasa

by rukomasa

Correct me if I'm wrong but R8000 11-34 is compatible to 8/9/10 free hub but not for 10s only freehub as far as I checked. Also R7000 11-34 is the same.

However, ur right. Men like me have three options. Latter is cheaper.
#1 Machining Free + R8K11-34 + SGS cage.
#2 Machining Free + R8K11-34 + Goat link
#3 Machining Free and cs5800

I took #3 because I don't love riding road bike with 11-34. Cost more to buy CS and RD and make my commuting bike uncomfortable I thought.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com