Shallow Alloy Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HenHarrier

by HenHarrier

I got the oxics about nine months ago. They look great and the brake track is holding up really well. But, and I don't know if other users found this, getting a tyre on the rim (especially at the side of the road in the cold) is incredibly difficult. I was riding schwalbe ones (not the tubeless version) and dreaded flatting.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

exctasy

by exctasy

bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:29 am
Shallow rimmed wheelsets with low spoke count like the DT Swiss 1400 will always feel a bit sluggish.

There are people who pay to get squirted in the face AJS914. You got it for free without even asking. Count your self lucky.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Why would shallow + low spoke count be a bit sluggish?
Gotta learn something!

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

I'm going to always vote for a handbuilt set of wheels. Something like HED Belgium+ with White Ind or Shimano DA 9000 hubs would be perfect. They might cost a bit more, but if well built they will be problem free for life. And if you do break a spoke they are easy to source, compared to some vendors complete wheel solutions.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Sluggish is normally linked to wheels that are not very stiff. What I have noticed shallow rimmed and low spoke count always seems to feel not quite right. higher spoke count or deeper rims seems to work well. It not a weight thing either. It seems to be linked to radial/torsional stiffness.