Shallow Alloy Wheels

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
exctasy

by exctasy

I'm currently on a lookout to upgrade the wife's first road bike's heavy stock giant wheels to something a little lighter, nicer and with better rolling.
Was actually thinking of custom HED belgium and white industries hub.
However the past days I've discovered Dt-Swiss PR1400 oxic tubeless wheels which look damn good and lesser $$
They come in the following config
21mm @ approx 1450g
32mm @ approx 1633g
difference of approx 183g

However I just can't decide which depth to get :noidea:
Is it worth paying more for that tiny difference in depth? Any thoughts guys?

I've no experience in shallow wheels :lol:

Multebear

by Multebear

First of all, i’m pretty sure the DT’s dont come with DT’s top end hubs. The other wheelset you mention with WI T11 hubs do. WI make some of the finest and most durable hubs on the market.

Second, if you want a deeper section alloy rim, you might as well choose one of the aero ones and get the build done custom, just like the hed belgiums are custom build. Lots of other options than Hed Belgium. It all depends on how aero you want to go and how deep your pockets are. If you want deep section Kinlin XR31T are the bang for Buck rims. Get them laced to some nice hubs like WI T11, Shimano Dura Ace or DT’s 240s. More expensive rims are AForce AL33.

If you don’t want to go deep section just pick one of the less expensive options like DT R460, or some of the many Kinlin offerings.

If you decide on custom wheels, then you might want to talk to a wheelbuilder in you area.

IMO there’s no need to build some expensive aero alloy wheels, if you haven’t got any carbon wheels for you wife to use.

by Weenie

Svetty

by Svetty

Depends how fast your wife cycles and how heavy she is I guess. If she's competitive and puts out serious watts then deeper rims might be sensible but if she's petite and more leisure orientated she's more likely to appreciate lighter rims I'd have thought.

Tychom

by Tychom

Multebear wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:26 pm
First of all, i’m pretty sure the DT’s dont come with DT’s top end hubs. The other wheelset you mention with WI T11 hubs do. WI make some of the finest and most durable hubs on the market.
DT's handy chart says they're 240s internals:

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

HED's on WI are the better wheelset and so are other combinations, eg easton r90sl and dura ace hubs.

there is more to a wheel than how light it is. The HED rims in particular are sized so tyres are an easy mount. your wife will appreciate that.

You can change the bearings on the WI hubs without any propreitry tools.

AJS914

by AJS914

Is it worth paying more for that tiny difference in depth? Any thoughts guys?
You are talking a handful of watts so I'd disregard depth. If your wife wants to be competitive or fast then find some deeper wheels and consider aerodynamics.

exctasy

by exctasy

thanks for all the inputs guys!
As she's not competitive, that's why i was looking at the dt option instead of the custom. Don't think she would feel any differences, only comment she had was black brake tracks look better..lol
If this hobby is gonna stick with her, then definitely a pair of aero carbon hoops would be the next

pocari123

by pocari123

I have a pair of DT Swiss oxic's in 21mm depth. On paper it looked fantastic, 240 internals with a black brake track.

Riding it though, it feels just a tiny bit sluggish sometimes. Not sure if it's not stuff enough or what but I never felt it with my open pro UST/da hubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

Those wheels look pretty pricey for someone at her level. A $300 wheelset would be a big upgrade. Zondas get great reviews around here:

https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-whee ... 49819.html

I built my wife a bike with Mavic Aksiums. I picked up new takeoffs on ebay for $150/pair. They were surprisingly nice wheels. I rode them for a while when a wheel broke and while they were 200 grams heavier than what I was used to, they rode just as nice as my more expensive wheels.

exctasy

by exctasy

pocari123 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:22 am
I have a pair of DT Swiss oxic's in 21mm depth. On paper it looked fantastic, 240 internals with a black brake track.

Riding it though, it feels just a tiny bit sluggish sometimes. Not sure if it's not stuff enough or what but I never felt it with my open pro UST/da hubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tiny bit sluggish..hmmm..thanks for your feedback!

exctasy

by exctasy

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:41 am
Those wheels look pretty pricey for someone at her level. A $300 wheelset would be a big upgrade. Zondas get great reviews around here:

https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-whee ... 49819.html

I built my wife a bike with Mavic Aksiums. I picked up new takeoffs on ebay for $150/pair. They were surprisingly nice wheels. I rode them for a while when a wheel broke and while they were 200 grams heavier than what I was used to, they rode just as nice as my more expensive wheels.
ooh i forgot to mention, was looking at tubeless options too.. :mrgreen:

AJS914

by AJS914

I think Mavic gets some of the best tubeless reviews with their UST system. I got squirted in the face by someone's tubeless tire so I'm not sure how I feel about road tubeless right now.

exctasy

by exctasy

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:08 am
I think Mavic gets some of the best tubeless reviews with their UST system. I got squirted in the face by someone's tubeless tire so I'm not sure how I feel about road tubeless right now.
:lol: :lol:

dastott

by dastott

Another vote for the Aksiums. A bit heavy but strong and great value. Most hassle free wheelset I have owned.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Shallow rimmed wheelsets with low spoke count like the DT Swiss 1400 will always feel a bit sluggish.

There are people who pay to get squirted in the face AJS914. You got it for free without even asking. Count your self lucky.

by Weenie