Roval CLX and tubeless

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stueys

by Stueys

Doing some research on the Roval CLX line. Some of the reviews (including my trusted cyclingtips guys) are flagging that the rim doesn't play especially nicely with tubeless setups. Anyone running these tubeless and having joy/problems?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

That will depend on the tyres choosen.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

Based on other threads on this forum, I ditched the plugs and taped the rims-joy so far with 2 layers of Stan’s tape, Schwalbe Pro Ones, and Orange Seal. Tires seated the first try (compressor used) and the combo seems to hold air well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlok

by jlok

Ditch the plugs, use tape. Unlike most tubeless rims, tire won't stay put when deflated. The beads will drop to the rim bed. There's no lip to hold the beads. Otherwise it's a wonderful wheel.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Stueys

by Stueys

Perfect, thanks for that. So tape is the answer. Guess the only downside is the tyre may not stay on the rim if you have a blowout in the same way as say a UST would?

gwerziou

by gwerziou

Great thread
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

alcatraz

by alcatraz

What's the difference between running tubeless on a non tubeless rim and this roval rim? I mean if the tire won't stay in place deflated.

Is it possible the schwalbe pro one's are slacker than other tires and thus don't seat tightly?

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

alcatraz wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:08 am
What's the difference between running tubeless on a non tubeless rim and this roval rim? I mean if the tire won't stay in place deflated.

Is it possible the schwalbe pro one's are slacker than other tires and thus don't seat tightly?
The difference is how the bead is locked. Even though the Roval rim doesn’t have a locking bead shelf it still has a bead shelf, so the tubeless bead of the tire is wedged between the rim hook, rim wall and bead shelf when inflated. With using a tubeless tire on a clincher only rim the bead will only make contact with the rim hook and rim wall and the tire bead is more in danger of moving around.

But yes, in this day and age for a premium product to not have that feature is a huge oversight.

jlok

by jlok

It's not how a tubeless rim should be designed IMO. I wouldn't run tubeless with this rim.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

running mine with 5000TLs .. so far so good.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

ds240

by ds240

I've just bought a Venge with CLX 64.

I was looking at running tubeless, but run into a bit of doubt as the beads don't appear to be hooked. Lack of proper info on the web, that i can find.

They're obviously sold as tubeless ready, so surely safe to run?!

On my now older bike I had Mavic UST and had total faith in them. I could be going back to a tube set up.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

The beads are definitely hooked.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

100% hooked
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Even the new Terra CLX wheelsets are hooked...
My CLX 64s are most definitely hooked

ds240

by ds240

Okay cheers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com