Roval CLX and tubeless

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

parajba

by parajba

Stueys wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:45 pm
Doing some research on the Roval CLX line. Some of the reviews (including my trusted cyclingtips guys) are flagging that the rim doesn't play especially nicely with tubeless setups. Anyone running these tubeless and having joy/problems?
Have been running the CLX50 with 5000TL 25mm for almost a year. Runs beautifully. Rims 100% hooked. I posted a few pictures of my wheels in some old (similar) threads.

The misinformation is everywhere on the internet. The only Roval tubeless rims that at one point were without a hook were MTB rims.

To prove this, if anybody has a picture of an unhooked CLX please post it.

As far as I know the CL and CLX lines have always been hooked.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

what para says ^^^ because he's right.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I did try a set up on a roval tubelsss road rim and got grief. The tyres would not inflate. The customser was watching and told me I was a tool and my reply was this wheel is simply not a tubeless compatible as roval make out. He left in a huff.

Blunty they are shit and I lost a customer over this as he thought I was trying to teach him to suck eggs.
Thanks roval.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

One of the easiest tubeless setup I have ever done....

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

bm0p700f wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:35 pm
I did try a set up on a roval tubelsss road rim and got grief. The tyres would not inflate. The customser was watching and told me I was a tool and my reply was this wheel is simply not a tubeless compatible as roval make out. He left in a huff.

Blunty they are shit and I lost a customer over this as he thought I was trying to teach him to suck eggs.
Thanks roval.
I lol'd..

I've only tried Schwalbe P1 and 5000TL in 28mm.... cake to mount. I do have a Blackburn dual chamber pump..
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Yeah, RapidAir on CLX 50 is by far the easiest tubeless I've setup. No levers, no air compressor, no mess.

sethjs

by sethjs

I have CLX 50s.

A. Definitely hooked

B. Not so easy to set up tubeless, depending on tire. Even with a compressor.
* SWorks Turbo Tubeless - not that bad - can be done with an airshot - roughly the bead holds when deflated
* IRC RBCC Tubeless - pretty tough to mount but doable with an airshot - roughly the bead holds when deflated
* Vittoria Corsa G2 Tubeless - disaster to mount - compressor barely works. Airshot sometimes works. Completely loses bead lock when defalted
* Very easy to mount larger tires on a CLX 32 - Terreno Dry, WTB Riddler, Maxxis Ravager, etc, and all maintain bead seat when deflated.

C. In contrast, Enve 4.5AR with the Vittoria Corsa G2 Tubeless are super easy to mount and maintain bead lock when deflated. Haven't tried the other tires.

Net: I suspect the shelf on the CLX 50 isn't as high as on the Enve. The hook is less important for mounting / retaining than the shelf design, I believe.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Agree the shelf on the Enve is a little better.

That said, Vittoria TLR tires are a disaster. My worst experiences are with Corsa G2 and Corsa Control G2 - both made me want to give up tubeless (again).

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I just took a set of well used Continental GP5000TLs off and installed Schwalbe TLE Pro Ones on my CLX50s. They are definitely tubeless compatible if you’re not incompetent.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

tonytourist wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:24 am
if you’re not incompetent.

dgomes

by dgomes

sethjs wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:30 am
I have CLX 50s.

* Vittoria Corsa G2 Tubeless - disaster to mount - compressor barely works. Airshot sometimes works. Completely loses bead lock when defalted
I am trying to mount the Vittoria Corsa Speed 2.0 Tubeless on a CLX 32.

Total disaster. Haven't managed to do it...

Tried with pump, CO2 and compressor... soap, sealant etc... not even close to mounting it...

Any suggestions?

TIA.

Regards,
Daniel

vinny

by vinny

Put dish soap around the bead and the rim, use thick soap (ie don't dilute) it should seal it up. The one drawback it takes a bunch of water to clean out all of the soap.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

So what's the problem? It the Corsa to tight or too loose? If it won't jump up onto the bead shelf, mount it first with an inner tube, then remove the inner tube while leaving one side of the tire on the bead shelf, instal valve stem, and than hit it with an AirShot or similar.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

dgomes

by dgomes

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:43 am
So what's the problem? It the Corsa to tight or too loose? If it won't jump up onto the bead shelf, mount it first with an inner tube, then remove the inner tube while leaving one side of the tire on the bead shelf, instal valve stem, and than hit it with an AirShot or similar.
It is too loose!

I tried with the inner tube, but the minute I deflate the tube, both sides come off the bead...

I don´t have an AirShot or similar... I have been using a CO2 cartridge or going to the gas station to use the compressor...

I did leave last night with the inner tubes on and put some sealant on the beads in the hopes that it will maybe hold in place when I deflate them... let´s see...

Will also try the thick soap (detergent?).

Thank you for the suggestions!

By the way, has anyone managed to mout this specific tubeless configuration? (CLX wheels with Vittoria Corsa Speed 2.0 Tubeless) How did it go?

Regards,
Daniel

jlok

by jlok

Yes its hooked buy there's no ridges on the shelf so the beads go off easier than other wheels with the ridges when deflated.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com