alloy vs cosmic carbon sl vs other

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

are

by are

I have some well used Flo 30s and good condition HED Stinger 5s. I use the Stingers for racing and some long rides, but not that many. It's time to replace the Flos, though, and I'm having a hard time weighing the different options. My experience with tubeless has been great, so I will only consider wheels I can run tubeless. Also, though it is hilly around where I live, I'm relatively light and know how to brake, so I'm not super concerned about melting rims.

What I'm thinking about with approximate prices from scouring the Internet and/or factoring in my club's various deals/sponsors ...

1. Nice alloy wheel, like the November Aforce Al33 ... ~$1,000. Keep the Stingers.

2. Mavic Cosmic Carbon Pro SL UST ... ~$1,500. Maybe keep the Stingers, or maybe sell. Would depend on the Mavics to some extent.

3. Enve SES 3.4 or Bontrager XXX Aeolus 4 ... ~1,900. Trade in or sell the Stingers for sure.

Other pertinent info ... I need to get new cassettes and new tires soon for both sets of wheels, so obviously if I'm getting rid of the Stingers that saves ~$200. Also, I haven't checked, but I might also need to replace the Stinger freehub, which is another ~$100.

In some ways I feel like the Mavics are the best value, but since I tend to keep and use equipment I would hate to be penny-wise but pound foolish.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hex

by Hex

I've been looking at the Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon (alloy rim with carbon fairing)

You get an alloy rim with the aero benefits of a carbon wheel...minus the weight.

If you're looking at the AL33 (which I have also done) and they seem to hold their aero credentials OK, I would also consider the DT Swiss Oxic 32. Similar depth, a bit cheaper and, I think, sexier.

are

by are

Thanks! The Mavic doesn't look like it's UST, though. I like tubeless, though lots of people on this forum seem to be pretty negative about it. The DT wheels look nice, but defintely not light.

I'm kind of obsessing about the Bontrager Aeolus XXX 4 ... aero, light and decent braking (per reviews). Soooo expensive, though.

DarrinNYC77

by DarrinNYC77

are wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:10 pm
Thanks! The Mavic doesn't look like it's UST, though. I like tubeless, though lots of people on this forum seem to be pretty negative about it. The DT wheels look nice, but defintely not light.

I'm kind of obsessing about the Bontrager Aeolus XXX 4 ... aero, light and decent braking (per reviews). Soooo expensive, though.

If you're interested in the Bontrager Aeolus XXX 4, I might have a great solution for you! I have a brand new front wheel for sale. I mounted it for a photo shoot and rode it for about 5 miles. I've heard so much about the performance of the new laser-etched brake track, I felt like I HAD to try them. I was VERY impressed! They are incredibly light, super aero, and you can actually slow down with FAR more confidence than just about any other carbon braking surface wheel om the market. I'd be happy to offer at $1,000 including shipping.

Thoughts? :)

Darrin

Hex

by Hex

are wrote:

The forum is not necessarily negative about tubeless.

It is more of a few factors that tubeless lacks a bit:

1) road feel
2) weight

On those two, cotton casing tires with latex inner tubes win and many, like me, like that.

On another note, I am an avid Schwalbe Pro One rider and while I like the nearly worry-free ride, but for pleasure, I ride with supple tires and late tubes.

are

by are

DarrinNYC77 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:05 am
are wrote:

If you're interested in the Bontrager Aeolus XXX 4, I might have a great solution for you! I have a brand new front wheel for sale. I mounted it for a photo shoot and rode it for about 5 miles. I've heard so much about the performance of the new laser-etched brake track, I felt like I HAD to try them. I was VERY impressed! They are incredibly light, super aero, and you can actually slow down with FAR more confidence than just about any other carbon braking surface wheel om the market. I'd be happy to offer at $1,000 including shipping.

Thoughts? :)

Darrin
Very cool to offer, but I decided on the Mavics. Perhaps not as good on a straight performance basis, but really good trade-off on priver/performance. I will be able to test them out this weekend.

DarrinNYC77

by DarrinNYC77

Good luck with them, my friend!! Mavic is always bullet-proof! :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com