How often do you change tubeless sealant?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tnkn

by tnkn

I've only recently jumped on the tubeless bandwagon, about 4 months back now.

How often do people go for a full clean out and re-application of sealant?

I've yet to have a puncture after 4 months with the same sealant but feel as though I might be pushing my luck now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zefs

by zefs

Depends on the sealant/tire and temperatures you are riding on. I had Caffelatex dry within 15 days (30c temps) and Bontrager TRL stay liquid for 3 months (but changed it to test Caffelatex). If your tires can seal with simple floor pump it's easy to inspect if there is sealant remaining, I am saying simple floor pump because if you use a compressor to re seat them it might dry the sealant faster. There is also a kit from milkit that you can use to measure the sealant.

No need to worry since you can carry tubeless plugs if the sealant fails. They work fine.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

I use Stans Race, I generally will replace it every 4-6 months if I remember. I want to say I once went 8-9 months and I don't recall ever having an issue where I had completely dried out sealant.

If I get a big puncture or one that has problems sealing up, I'll pull the tire off and put a tube patch on the inside, which obviously will end up with fresh sealant. I also cary plugs in case of trouble sealing, larger punctures, etc.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

AJS914

by AJS914

I've never replaced sealant. I just top up every 2-3 months.

tnkn

by tnkn

Thanks for the replies.

I'm using the standard Stans. Would you recommend race over the standard stuff?

What plugs do you guys use?

AJS914

by AJS914

The race stuff is supposed to be stickier and will seal faster but will also dry up faster.

zefs

by zefs

tnkn wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:13 pm
Thanks for the replies.

I had success with the small Genuine Innovations ones that come with the tool, but my suggestion would be to get different sizes since you need to use the correct one based on your puncture. Just make sure to get road specific ones because MTB ones tend to be too thick and use bigger insertion tool. I cut the MTB ones in half both ways but haven't tried them yet (not sure if cutting them compromises anything).

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

tnkn wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

Race is a little bit thicker. You can get away with using a little less of it, and it definately seals up a bit quicker. They say that it dries up a little quicker, but I've never had an issue with it drying up, so I couldn't say. Stan's also says that you can't inject it into a valve stem, but I haven't had an issue with that either.

As for plugs, I currently use the Genuine Innovations ones in the silver holder (Tubeless Tackle Kit). I've contemplated switching to Dynaplugs as it just seems like an easier system. I've had some ocasional issues getting plugs in with the GI system.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

tnkn

by tnkn

Sounds like the Race sealant would be better with higher pressures. Will give that a go next time I get round to buying some new sealant.

Thanks for the pointing me towards the GI plugs. They look great!

Cheers.

Orlok

by Orlok

Use a nail in it to see if the sealant is fixing the puncture, if not change the sealant.! :beerchug:
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

mattr

by mattr

On the mtb i top it up once i can't hear sealant sloshing around. I usually only get the chance to do it once before the tyre is shot.
Usually pop in about 30 ml, just to get a puddle in the tyre, as even when it doesn't slosh, there is usually a good coating on the inside.

ms6073

by ms6073

I use Orange Seal Endurance and while many will probably scoff at the following due to cost, I opted to install Milkit tubeless vales and also purchased the injector which doubles as a means of checking sealant level and fluidity. A warning for those who don't always read the instructions to the end, Milkit introduced the injector when the company only marketed vales for MTB and failure to first lower tire pressure to below 30 psi (< 2 bar), will end up with most of your sealant coating the walls and ceiling of your work space. :oops:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

sfo423

by sfo423

Me too (2 years) and never topped it off. A good initial seal should hold well but my time on that mtn. bike in two years is about 100 hours.
AJS914 wrote:
I've never replaced sealant. I just top up every 2-3 months.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I've never changed sealant on either my CX or mountain bikes. I'll just top it off, when needed. I may remove some excess, if it's formed a ball, or isn't a uniform thickness around the tire, but that's rare (especially on my CX bike).