Meilenstein vs Bora 50

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LionelB

by LionelB

I have a new frame coming in a few weeks. My default wheel choice would be the Bora Ultra 50 because I know they will be great. I already have pairs of Bora ultra II, hyperon, Bora one 35, Bora disc, Shamal tubular and neutron ultra :D :D All these wheels have been great, all the carbon ones are the narrower type pre 24.2 width.

In the past I had LW gen 3 which I really liked except for the braking (average) and catching side wind with the flat spokes (quite noticeable). I ended up selling them as I felt the Bora U2 were just better. The LW hubs were very good but I also preferred the campy one.

Anyway, given all the Campy wheels I have I looked at the Meilenstein a bit closer and they seem like an evolution of the gen3 with a 47 vs 53 height. How about the braking and other differences ?

Can someone who rode both please contrast the two ? I'm sure this is covered already in some threads but could not find it quickly.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrAnderson

by MrAnderson

I've just rode some Bora Ultras after my LW's and braking is good on both, bit more bite on the boras but nothing wrong with the brakes on the latest gen LW's imo.
I was impressed in the rain compared to 303's also.

Wind isnt a factor really or not that I've noticed anyways.

LionelB

by LionelB

I just realized that they also now have a 24mm wide tubular rim. Somehow I missed that step. The 20 seems to stay as well as it is slightly lighter. ANybody riding the 24mm tubular version ?

vamoots58

by vamoots58

I have two rides on ,y new Meilensteins. I ordered the 16/20 24E Tubular version. I had lusted over the wheels for years, and my significantly better half offered me a pair for my birthday after watching me drool over them in a bike shop in Windsor on our UK vacation this summer. Anyway, my other wheelsets are Bora Ultra 2 (not newer wide ones), Corima Aero S+, and ENVE Classic 25's, all tubular. With only two rides, cannot yet make any difinitive assesment of the LW's yet, though they are quite stiff, but not at all uncomfortable. As to the historical chat-board complaints about the lack of 'aero-ness', my Boras are 20mm wide, vee shaped and have been amazing. The lW's are wider (I know, I know there are more modern shapes...) most of the folks i ride with are in the same catagory avergaing 19-21mph on our rides, which is to say likely below the average speed where any real wheel-set aero advatange is discernible. I have found the braking to be fine. In fairness, at 54, I don;t do a lot of wet road riding anymore, those have become KICKR / Zwift days. So far, really happy with my purchase delighted ato have added these to my wheel quiver...

LionelB

by LionelB

Thanks, I think I am heading in this direction as well with the same set. While the Boras are obviously more all around wheels I already have 3 pairs of those !

mrlobber

by mrlobber

vamoots58 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:12 pm
my Boras are 20mm wide, vee shaped and have been amazing.
They've never been 20mm, rather 22mm, mating perfectly with 22mm tubs - Veloflex etc.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Bora Ultra Twos, prior to 2015, were 20mm wide, 2015 and after they’ve been 24.2mm wide. I really like a 24mm tubular on the older Boras whereas the newer width of ~24mm fit tubulars of 25mm and greater better.
The new Lightweights, aside from the new 24mm width, seem pretty much the same to me, having had a pretty good look at these setting them up on a friend’s bike. They are 48mm in depth, and if you didn’t mind the previous version in gusty conditions then you shouldn’t mind these. Same thick spokes etc. Brake track doesn’t look any different... seemed to work the same in the dry as I tested things out during setup but my friend did comment on not liking them in the rain when he got caught out one day. He will not be riding these in the rain. I will see if I can borrow them on a nasty rainy day sometime just to test them out for myself, but who wants to really ride in the rain if they don’t have to. So that test, if he even lets me borrow them, might be a long time coming.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Cannot comment on the Bora as I don’t own a pair. I’ve had a pair of Gen 3 Standards for a while now. Have ridden them plenty in descends, long and short, steep and not so much, solo and in groups, windy (20+ mph winds) and not, and very wet and dry in all the previous conditions. Despite hearing all the complaints about braking in wet and how terrible they are in wi day conditions I have not appreciated much. On windy days, I do notice a smaller difference when compared to my Hyperons, but it’s not night and day.

Almost the entire times I’ve used them, I was using the chittiest set of brakes one can use: Ciamillo Zero Gravity!! Even with those crappy brakes I never felt like I was in danger due to the wet conditions or the poor brake track on the rims. Also, I only use 22 mm tubulars and don’t foresee me going bigger anytime if ever, so width and tire choices have and are not an issue for me.

Just my personal experience.
Last edited by dgasmd on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

I have the 24e tubular version. I’ve never tried the boras but I think they’re most likely my next set of wheels. I’m really happy with the lightweights generally. I just came back from alpe d’huez area a couple of weeks ago and they didn’t let me down. I’m always a little weary on long descents the first couple I do on a trip. But when I get into the rhythm more I get more confident in my braking and start to trust the wheels not to push me about when the speed picks up. They feel great going into corners etc. I’ve been caught out a couple of times in the wet and I’d have to describe the braking as average. Not great, not catastrophic! In the dry they are very dependable, no problem at all. Since I’ve come back to the uk I’ve tucked the LW away for winter and I’ve been using my 303’s. The wind kicked up today in the uk and to be honest I was glad I was on the 303 and not LW. They just seem to deal with it a bit better and feel more predictable when the wind gusts up if that makes sense.

wintershade

by wintershade

Meilensteins are the crappiest handling wheels in the world. If the rider next to you farts, you feel the front wheel jerk. The look great but ride like garbage.

I ride Bora 50s. They're great and all, but really I think get more love than they deserve. Narrow rim bed. Outdated profile. I'm a convert to Zipp NSWs (the Cognition hubs are incredible). The 303s are the perfect all-round, 404s for aero. For a climbing wheel, I'd go with the ENVE 3.4 with your choice of hub.

kgt

by kgt

wintershade wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:47 am
Meilensteins are the crappiest handling wheels in the world. If the rider next to you farts, you feel the front wheel jerk. The look great but ride like garbage.
Very, very far from the truth.

glepore

by glepore

FWIW, I do notice that under certain conditions of turning across a gust the LW's can feel less stable than a rim with a more "modern" shape, but they're not deadly, just uncomfortable. Its rare too.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

sungod

by sungod

on the obermayers i've found a big difference in handling by going to a narrower tyre on the front (veloflex sprinter), that eliminated the tendency to 'catch' as the angle changed

been riding the narrower tyres >12 months now, plenty of very windy rides in lanzarote, never going back to wider on the front with these wheels

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

I wonder how I’m having such a different experience when I hear really negative feedback regarding meilensteins. Maybe sungod is right in that using tubs of a similar width to the rim makes a big difference. I mean I get they can be more jittery than other rims. But I have 404’s as well as 303’s and when the 404’s catch the wind you definitely know about it more than the meilenstens. Obviously they’re a fair bit deeper rim but I don’t hear people saying they handle crappy or whatever. Or maybe having ridden so many miles on the 404’s makes me used to allowing for gusts / sudden shifts in wind in exposed areas.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vamoots58

by vamoots58

mrlobber wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:06 pm
vamoots58 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:12 pm
my Boras are 20mm wide, vee shaped and have been amazing.
They've never been 20mm, rather 22mm, mating perfectly with 22mm tubs - Veloflex etc.
Confirmed the Ultra 2's are indeed 20mm wide. Great wheels, roll forever (CULT bearings)...