Fulcrum Quattro Carbon - Spoke Replacement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

skidrrr

by skidrrr

I crashed hard on a yesterday race and it seems like front spoke got some serious dammage too so I'm thinking about replacement now.
Two questions:
1. Is Fulcrum Spoke Kit for Racing Quattro LG Clincher Front Wheel - R4-016 is is suitable for carbon version?
2. Is it possible to repace spokes on carbon version at all?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

skidrrr

by skidrrr

Rim & Tire

Spoke

I will try to fix it for but will continue looking for a spoke replacement.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Spokes/nipples are replaceable, you just need the magnet and nipple holder (comes with wheels) to guide the new nipple into place.
But looking at that first pic with the partially removed tubular (if that’s what I think I’m seeing) I think I’d be more concerned with that glue job. How easy did that tire peel away?... pretty easy would be my guess. Did you give those rim beds just a light sanding, then cleanup with acetone before gluing. The rim tape looks like it’s got some greyish residue on it where it would have been in contact with the rim, as if the rim was lightly sanded but not cleaned off before gluing. Don’t know, your call on that. I just don’t really see any hint of a good bond having been in place there.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

skidrrr

by skidrrr

@Calnago I was worried that magnet installation is sorta factory magic that can't be reproduced at home. That's good to know. I think I'm going to check spokes for alu version. In theory sizing should be almost identical.

As for the tyre damage I have nothing to complain about. It's a clincher S-Works Turbo Cotton. It comes without sidewall protection and has a thin layer of gripton (blackchilly) compound glued to it. I'm still wondering how it didn't blow out under such stress

Thanks for advice!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

My mistake, I can see now that it looks like the clincher is covering the bead on the far side of the rim, so I mistook it for a tubular. So forget what I said about the glue job, since there isn’t any :).

Here’s the little kit you should have received with your wheels...
The little piece at the far left is for screwing into the end of the nipple, which the very strong magnet can then guide from the outside of the rim directly into the hole. Here’s a closeup of the piece that attaches to the nipple so you can guide it internally to the appropriate hole...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ