Sub 350 clincher rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

At 90kg and having durability as the highest priority, you won't end up with a light wheel, period. And if you go with carbon it won't meet your limited budget. Also at your weight the hub quality will be paramount. Light hubs will result in poor durability, which will further stretch your budget in the long term.

This option will definitely be super durable and also budget-friendly. But it won't meet your weight goals....not even close.

http://wheelshop.chrisking.com/hed-belg ... r45-28-28/

Coinmonger

by Coinmonger

And rear hub Heavy duty from Extralite (hefty sum thought)

https://www.extralite.com/Products/HyperRear2.htm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Coinmonger

by Coinmonger

Chris King nope .Solid wheels however not worth of its price.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Coinmonger wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:16 am
And rear hub Heavy duty from Extralite (hefty sum thought)

https://www.extralite.com/Products/HyperRear2.htm
There's no such thing as a heavy duty rear hub that weighs 161g.

mattr

by mattr

Coinmonger wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:11 am
What you guys would recommend. Please im open to suggestions.
More realistic targets?

Another 150 grams on your target and you'll pretty much be there on budget/durability/design/weight capacity.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Even the HD extralite hub is not heavy duty compared to say a miche Primato front hub. That's a heavy duty hub.

Extralite hubs are very light and hole impacts for example can cause falnge failure. Ok the impact may sage the rim and forks. I have seen this on light rear hubs.

Blanket statements like I can't ride rims deeper than 50mm because of strong winds is mostly based on assumptions.

I took mine out a few days ago when the winds were gusting to 40mph and were a at least 20mph and no bother.

I have just done a set for myself, extralite hubs and 45mm deep 27mm wide rims, 20/24 spoke count and cxrays. They weigh 1280g. I am 86 kg kitted up. That's as light as I want to go.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

bm0p700f wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:12 am
Even the HD extralite hub is not heavy duty compared to say a miche Primato front hub. That's a heavy duty hub.

Extralite hubs are very light and hole impacts for example can cause falnge failure. Ok the impact may sage the rim and forks. I have seen this on light rear hubs.

Blanket statements like I can't ride rims deeper than 50mm because of strong winds is mostly based on assumptions.

I took mine out a few days ago when the winds were gusting to 40mph and were a at least 20mph and no bother.

I have just done a set for myself, extralite hubs and 45mm deep 27mm wide rims, 20/24 spoke count and cxrays. They weigh 1280g. I am 86 kg kitted up. That's as light as I want to go.
So you strayed from 2x/2x you advise people to do. :D Extralite only supports that on their older J-bend hubs.

/a

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Ehh. The hub is a straight pull hub 2x/radial is possible on the rear. The straight pull hub is lighter. I suggest 2x/2x for customer builds mostly but this is for me, not some one else. Beside I am often comparing 2x/2x to triplet 3x/0x lacing in posts with a hub with std geometry not triplet geometry. again the details of my post are totally lost on people.

With std geometry hubs 2x/2x and 2x/0x are both fine. It just depends on what the hub is drilled for. radial NDS is often used on SP hubs because it is cheaper to so the machining and is lighter. If you want a light hub that what you end up getting.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coinmonger

by Coinmonger

mattr wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:50 am
Coinmonger wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:11 am
What you guys would recommend. Please im open to suggestions.
More realistic targets?

Another 150 grams on your target and you'll pretty much be there on budget/durability/design/weight capacity.
ok any ideas what to put there if we will go for Another +150 grams?

ergott

by ergott

Don't weigh the wheels and get something similar to this.

rims:
Easton R90SL
Hed Belgium (not tubeless)
Boyd Altamont Lite
Pacenti Forza

hubs
get the Extralite front if you insist, but I'd get something with larger bearings like White Industries, Hope, Industry 9 or even Dura ace.

For budget build I'd get:

Pacenti Forza (has offset rear rim which pairs well with the Bitex hub geometry)
Bitex RA12 hubs
Go splurge on the spokes and get CX-Rays if you want, but I'd just get Laser spokes with Race on the rear, drive.
24/28 spoke count

That's a strong set of wheels that's reasonably light.

Why even counts grams on a commuter? Are you competing for some sort of trophy? A difference of even 250g will have no perceptable difference and will be statistically insignificant in your resulting speeds/times. For commuting just go durable.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I agree with ergott mostly except if you want to run tubeless tyres the hed is not my first choice. Other budget rims are kinlin xr31t and Ambrosio p20

With spokes a triple butted one is even better like the Sapim force if your wheel builder has them.modt people to see race because they are good enough.

Ergots suggestions will end up around 1500 to 1600g.

Carbon Ti hubs are the other light weight choice.

With those hub 1400g alloy wheels are possible that should cope.

kavitator

by kavitator

24/28 spokes
Aivee ED1 hubs are durable and good weight250grams for set (DS flange is 18mm from center)
Rim under 450grams will be too flexi

Coinmonger

by Coinmonger

bm0p700f wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:12 am

You can fell me about it when your going to experience 80 or 70km wind and almost get rammed by a car (yeah that's im quite sure its ONLY ASSUMPTION.)

Coinmonger

by Coinmonger

Thanks guys .No competition but i have to climb everyday on a top of mountains to get to work that's a reason why i wish to go for something reasonably lighter than most commuters ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Coinmonger

by Coinmonger

I thought about ordering rims from Farsports or other chinese carbon fiber (as i'm not pushing the Nike to its performance limit i assume that's going to be just fine :)