Sub 350 clincher rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Coinmonger

by Coinmonger

Well never than less i just don't want to use deep section rims for that reason .Even with wind blowing at 40 mph its still not wise especially on high traffic

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Cycling in 40mph winds is not advisable on shallow rims. I ride my 50's in 20ish mph wind with no more bother than I would have on shallow wheels. So your statement makes no sense.

The heavier you are with a 24 spoke rear wheel the stiffer the rim and spokes need to be.

Shallower rims tend to be less stiff so you can use thin spokes and get less brake rub.
To avoid brake tub with deeper wheels then stiffer spokes help. The other solution is to use a lighter single pivot rear brake as no needs a dual ivot brake on the rear wheel. A single pivot brake has the advantage of being lighter and the pads can be set further from the rim thus eliminating brake rub.

For a chap of your size a deeper is not the problem you think it is. It will be heavier though but it turns out lighter is not always faster. There maybe durability issue with lightweight wheels unless your talking about a lightweight wheel.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Gusts are more an issue than strong wind. Strong wind from the sides can give you a nice sail effect with deep rims. :thumbup:

Shallow box rims are unpredictable in gusts. They aren't balanced between leading and trailing edge.

I won't say a modern deep rim is fantastic in windy conditions but it's for me no way more dangerous than a shallow alloy rim.

I'd be most concerned with flat surfaces in combination with deep rims like V-shapes. Then get ready for action. :lol:

NickJHP

by NickJHP

MCFK 700c 25mm deep rims are 350g and rated for 125kg max weight. But these are disc-only rims and you're looking at about €1350 just for the pair of rims. I have a pair of wheels built with their 650B rims in 28/28 that are slightly lighter than that and have stayed true, but I only weigh 65kg.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ergott

by ergott

NickJHP wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:01 am
MCFK 700c 25mm deep rims are 350g and rated for 125kg max weight. But these are disc-only rims and you're looking at about €1350 just for the pair of rims. I have a pair of wheels built with their 650B rims in 28/28 that are slightly lighter than that and have stayed true, but I only weigh 65kg.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
He's said he's looking for rim brake.

Coinmonger

by Coinmonger

http://www.eiecarbon.com/carbon-rim-roa ... cher--35mm ordered rims from them .They had same rims as MCFK same weight but i will stick with your advice guys and go with bit deeper section for more shock absorbtion and durability .Yeah i know sceptism over that shenzen chinese company but it seems decent .Im gonna Give them a go.And od that wójt work i will go for MCFK.Aivee hub for rear wheel with 17 mm axle and 4 bearings straight pull.Weight around 200g and Extralite Cyber HD front (im mostly seated driver or holding much od weight on rear wheel so IT should be fine) with even 32/28 spokes(saplim super spokes with titanium nipples) i will get a weight to around 1250 grams .All done guys thanks for all advice im ordering hubs and i will keep you posted .I will make long term review after all parts arrive. Many thanks for all :)))

alcatraz

by alcatraz

The front rim shouldn't be asymetric.

Cool rim. 30mm wide, jesus. :D

28/32 is a bit extreme for 90kg. Not unreasonable though.

Spoke weights are for 260mm spokes. For 35mm rims and 2x lacing you might need somewhere around 270-280mm. That adds a little extra weight.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I think the linked rim is not the one he ordered. The 35mm rim is asymmetric and for disk brake only. I think he would be much better off with the 40mm rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coinmonger

by Coinmonger

I'm not worried acording to my calculations i will be around 1250 Mark a couple of grams will not be a rly huge diffrence i suspect for that spokes i would hit less than 1.3 as for a clincher carbo its reasonably light :) 35 mm clincher v brake to be precise :)

Coinmonger

by Coinmonger

Should i go with 28/24 spokes oraz IT would he safer with 32 ??? @Alcatraz

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Yes more is safer. Depends also on the spoke type.

Are you building yourself?

I think 28 cx-ray could be just as good (or better) than 32 super spokes. Save a little $$$. :)

Balanced tension is important. Don't want to overstress any single spoke.

Zipp fronts have 18 spokes and a high rider weight. What's their secret? Stiff rim, stiff hub flanges, yes thats probably two of them.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I hope you have not ordered a disc brake rim. All the 35mm rims on that site are disc brake for sure. Fortunatley I am not the one going to be riding them.

ergott

by ergott

So you link to rims you ordered and they are for disc brakes. I thought you wanted rim brake wheels?

(bm0p beat me to it)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Stiff hub flanges? I have yet to find one I can flex.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Radial straightpull flanges have some flex I heard. If you have an 18 spoke front popular racing wheel with 125kg rider limit you might start playing with the limits. :D

Extralite also writes that they upgraded their design from radial to crossed spokes. I saw that as a clue that the rumors might be true.

Disclaimer: Just an observational amateur here. :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com