Sub 350 clincher rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Coinmonger

by Coinmonger

Ok got your point guys .What about titanium spokes are they are aby better alternative?(extralite piłkarzy TI)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Titanium has many good uses but spokes isn't one of them! Though Madcow at FWB in AZ has a wheelset with them and he reported no issues. I don't know how much he weights. But the general consensus is that a Ti spoke is roughly the same weight as a CX-Ray. So there's no advantage in going with Ti.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Titanium spokes are very expensive not as stiff as steel spokes of similar guage are show shorter service life.

In short another bad idea. You need to stock to a conventional build. If you want to build yourself then go ahead tue hassle will be yours alone but if your getting a wheelbuilder to do it then stick to what works it will be less hassle for them as well.

Coinmonger

by Coinmonger

Less hassle and more pain about the wheel weight .Im new to this but as i'm going lighter my riding experience improves so Question to you how AM i suppose to build a wheelset with less than 1200g if all your saying is go with 2kg wheels or saying its impossible for rider with my gauge weight to get maybe not ultralight but At least relativly light set. Gosh ....

mattr

by mattr

Coinmonger wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:41 pm
Question to you how AM i suppose to build a wheelset with less than 1200g
Spend a LOT more money would be the first thing.

For example. My old 26" MTB race wheels are ~€500, weigh 1375 grams and have a weight limit of 80 kilos. I *could* have spent ~€1000 and either got 1375 gram wheels with no weight limit, or ~1200 gram wheels with the same weight limit.

Or spent ~€2000 and got 1100 grams and no weight limit.

There is no free lunch.

nachetetm

by nachetetm

Coinmonger wrote:Less hassle and more pain about the wheel weight .Im new to this but as i'm going lighter my riding experience improves so Question to you how AM i suppose to build a wheelset with less than 1200g if all your saying is go with 2kg wheels or saying its impossible for rider with my gauge weight to get maybe not ultralight but At least relativly light set. Gosh ....
Your problem is that your goals are not realistic, that's why. You are over-obsessed with a wheel weight that is not reasonable for the usage you will give to your wheels. And honestly, 100g in a wheelset is inapreciable, i'm talking from my own experience. So be reasonable with your goals and listen to the good advices they are giving to you the very expert wheel builders here. Not following those advices will lead to frustration in the future and more money expense.

ergott

by ergott

Steps

1) find a wheel builder to work with (I'd say locally or at least in your country
2) tell that builder the kind of riding you do and how much you weigh
3) let them tell you what the wheel specs should be
4) don't ask how much they will weigh and don't weigh them when you get them. Just ride them.

or

spend a ton of money and get the higher spoke count version of Lightweight clinchers.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

no one said go with 2kg wheels either. ergott has summed up all the contributions so far.

Wheelset weight for some one of your weight (or mine) has almost no bearing or how fast you go. It matter little if its a 1600g wheelset or an 1100g wheelset. At 86kg those 500g mean nothing to me and do not make much if any difference to my pace.

Coinmonger

by Coinmonger

I guess im gonna end up with AX LIGHTNESS 25C or T .Well the main thing there is just a rim. As AX od using same extralite hubs (even less spoke count which i am against) apparently can hold up my weight (producer tested besides Extralite have been tested their hubs up to 90kg with loads of punishment) following on ;building such a set on same spokes And even hubs with a slinghty increased spoke count should be no problem for experienced builder so following this tought after all
technical analysis and posts the problem here is to find good light and shallow section rims with weight limit up to 100 kg (not talking about China stuff anymore after your advice and posts).

C36

by C36

Coinmonger wrote:Ok got your point guys .What about titanium spokes are they are aby better alternative?(extralite piłkarzy TI)
Spokes are simple they work only in traction (exclude the head), the stiffness is directly proportional to section and material Young modulus (lets call it material stiffness coefficient). It is INDEPENDANT (99% of the time) of its strength, « all » steel alloys have the « same » 210 GPA young modulus, regardless of STRENGH and « all » aluminiums in the 70-72 GPA.
That was the idea behind Mavic Ksyriums, their aluminium alloy was one of the exceptions with higher Young modulus and the had a better stiffness to weight than others (but had to be bigger). On the other end, titanium spokes are as thin as the steel ones and rely only on lower Ti density to reduce weight —> small gauge + lower young modulus = a f... noodle.
Seriously Ti spokes shouldn’t go anywhere near a wheel.
The CX-Ray type shouldn’t be used in many cases on the rear wheels due to stiffness drop. One of the things some brands handle very well but often not seen (thinking in Mavic and Campagnolo for example).

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Is the OP learning or about to make the same mistake. you are still searching for the lightest kit you can which is not necessarily the best for you.

Coinmonger

by Coinmonger

Not the lightest but relativly light i don't mind lookbook guys like i said i just started this thing .As i'm askong here to relay more about knowledge od people like you (more experienced im that area) so if you can Come up with idea where to put most of mass on the wheel to keep it stable in my case i would gladly go for it.(ouh btw my weight is not 90 but 85 and im next two montaż its going to be droped to sub 80 it does makes sense to build a wheelset minding that as for parts they are difficult to get here do it will także a while before i will finish anyway but that's just something to keep on mind) Please any suggestions about rims ?

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

Coinmonger wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:11 pm
Not the lightest but relativly light i don't mind lookbook guys like i said i just started this thing .As i'm askong here to relay more about knowledge od people like you (more experienced im that area) so if you can Come up with idea where to put most of mass on the wheel to keep it stable in my case i would gladly go for it.(ouh btw my weight is not 90 but 85 and im next two montaż its going to be droped to sub 80 it does makes sense to build a wheelset minding that as for parts they are difficult to get here do it will także a while before i will finish anyway but that's just something to keep on mind) Please any suggestions about rims ?
Have you considerd one of these? BTW think about it you don't need mass in your wheels to create stability, these small wheels have very little mass but the bikes are stable enough, they do however accelerate really well.

https://www.eta.co.uk/2018/04/27/super- ... -brompton/
http://www.moultonbicycles.co.uk/models/SPEED.html

shimmeD

by shimmeD

:thumbup: :smartass: :beerchug: :up: mikemelbrooks
Less is more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Coinmonger

by Coinmonger