Sub 350 clincher rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Multebear

by Multebear

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:19 pm
I don't understand your obsession with a low rim weight. Can you save 100g. on something else on the bike? A 450g. rim will be durable and strong. A 400g. rim and your weight it becomes a health hazard. If you insist on low rim weight then go tubular. You will lose weight without losing sacraficing strength. And you can also buy a factory-built set like the Campy Bora 35 Ultras in tubular format.
Very much agree with this. Same goes for low hub weight. Just save weight on something else on the bike, or your own body weight, or just accept that your safety comes first. I know this is weightweenies, but still...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I know they make rim for rim brake but not the ones you linked too.

Where are in in the world are you. thes best help we can give you is to put you in touch with a reputable wheel builder. Then take there advise.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

This is one of the ones I see that comes in high temperature resin for rim brakes.
http://www.eiecarbon.com/SR38TC25-38mm- ... rface.html

As you can see as soon as you look for a rim that meets your needs you are right in the 455g range.

No free lunches.

Coinmonger

by Coinmonger

Thanks ergott i will go with these then :)

Marin

by Marin

Coinmonger wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:35 am
Thanks ergott i will go with these then :)
Ask them for a superlight version.

Coinmonger

by Coinmonger

@Marin They Got it !!!380 grams great!!All set thanks guys

Marin

by Marin

Do the recommend them for your weight? I'm about to order 2 more pairs but the riders are 15kg lighter than you

Coinmonger

by Coinmonger

Yes the rim set also is having better price tag (+100$ but its actually above +15 kg ) Acording to what they said the wheel suppose to hold up up to 105kg ) :)

Coinmonger

by Coinmonger

I wouldnt be worried about the limit as long as IT will hołd up till next season -my weight od going down each month by month :) .

Marin

by Marin

Are you ordering a full wheelset or are you having the build locally? I'm asking because if you don't specify anything you'll get 24 CX-Ray equivalents in the rear, which is NOT enough for you.

Coinmonger

by Coinmonger

Sapim superspokes 32/28 should be enought they are lightweight and they would be great choice for supporting my weight (could go for titanium xtra lite piłkarzy to spokes but i don't want to break the bank on shaving couple of grams(+50g is not worth of additional 540 dollars) besides Sapim will be better on terms of durability .Im building locally with the guy whO has vast experience (20 years of building wheels).Even if cx rays would be suitable for me i wouldnt go for them anyway :)

Coinmonger

by Coinmonger

As for spokes im going with lightweight with most durable as possibile (and sapim ss spokes are just Perfect for balancing that compromise between those two parameters)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

please dont go with super spokes. CX-rays are the better spoke for you full stop. Even better is the CX sprints or CX gorce.. You could then have 28 F/R spoke count. My estimates indicate 32 sapim super spokes will be less stiff than 28 sapim CX-rays by a few %. So it is a poor choice and a needlessly expensive one. Super spokes are also more tricky to build with and twist is a major issue with them. Twist can easily damage them and yes even with a blade holder they will try to twist.

If you are having a wheel builder do it why are you using him? Your not valuing or using there experience, your using them as a grease monkey supplying all the parts and paying them for there labour. your trying to force a build spec on them. If they have experience use there experience, let them supply the parts they are happy to use and back up. Otherwise you might as well build yourself.

No super spokes are not perfect fo you. They are too thin. brake rub could be an issue as brake rub happens when the spokes are not stiff enough to support the rim when side loaded.

I am so glad am I not building these wheels.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I bet the op has got strength and stiffness mixed up. Super spokes have a very high UTS expressed in MPa, but thin spokes do well on that measure. It is a normalised measure that makes sense only if the spokes are all of the same diameter when tested. They are not however. Thin spokes are not as stiff as thicker ones, so you end up with bigger length changes in the spokes when the wheel is subjected to load. The bigger the length changes in the spokes the faster they fatigue. Strength of the spokes is therefore not relevant. Also the super spoke will fail under tension at a lower specific load than a Sapim race. So is the super spoke actually stronger? I hope you can see strength is not relavent.

Go talk to your wheelbuilder and give up trying to specify what you think is best.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

kavitator

by kavitator

I build once with Sapim Super spokes...ONCE :x

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com