Choosing between hubs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Marin

by Marin

Kermithimself wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:37 pm
Interesting. Although the 300% markup I don't understand. From what I can see Bitex hubs are around 115 GBP which is around the same as the DCR hubs.
Sorry, you're right, cheapest Bitex RAR9 I could find are 108 USD, so the DCR are a good deal actually.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

Kermithimself wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:20 am
Haven't really decided yet. White Industries is lurking, but have also been looking quite a bit at the hubs from DCR - https://dcrwheels.co.uk/products/dcr-co ... /dcr-hubs/

I have a set on my training wheels and they have been flawless so far. Also, they're not that expensive, and are relatively light weight.
Have you given these som thought:
bm0p700f wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:20 pm
....or the carbon ti.
Must say they have made me curious. Expensive though. But weight is good, and if durability is as well, then what's not to like. They even come in many colors.

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

Actually I have shifted towards carbon-ti. Here in Europe they're cheaper than I9 and White Industries hubs, and about 100 grams lighter.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

White industries make more sense in the USA where they are cheaper.

Multebear

by Multebear

bm0p700f wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:50 am
White industries make more sense in the USA where they are cheaper.
Is a Carbon Ti X road rear hub really 338 GBP on your website? Looks like it when adding a rear hub to the shopping basket.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

not quite. Carbon Ti prices need updating and for the hub they have been tonight. I wont undercut a retailer I sell them too in the u.k. That would not be good form to get a sale would it. I leave enough margin so the retailer can compete if they need to. I am a bit old fashioned like that. anything wrong in that?

Brands that get sold online a large discounts end up being on line only which also means the brand value has been lost and puts pressure on the manufactuer to cut there prices so then the product get made to a price point not a specification. I hate to see the same happen to Carbon Ti in order to get a few more sales. After all when running a business cut the price by 20% and you end up working twice as hard to make the same money. It really makes no sense at all.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

If Shimano switch to their new freehub spline pattern for road as well as MTB, which I would think highly likely, AFAIK DT Swiss are the only 3rd party Shimano-compatible rear hub that can be swapped to the new spline pattern...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

give it a year or two and more companies will make freehubs for it. Currently making a freehub for XTR 12 speed is a pretty small market and not worth the effort.

robertbb

by robertbb

Just received my DT 240s 24h front hub in mail. Will match my 28h 240s rear. Sticker comes off easily and cleanly for that stealth look and they are just no nonsense, easily serviceable and reliable hubs at a decent weight.

Seriously, just add 4 more spokes at the back wheel to counter the slightly less advantageous geometry and these hubs are just fantastic.

My wheelset will be these hubs, Easton R90SL rims, DT aerolite spokes and Wheelsmith alloy nipples.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

Yeah, but if purchasing a rear hub now, will it just be a case of swapping the freehub down the track to get the updated one, or will it need the purchase of a new hub? From what I've read, the freehub swap will definitely be possible with DT Swiss hubs/wheels, but will it be the same with other manufacturers?
bm0p700f wrote:give it a year or two and more companies will make freehubs for it. Currently making a freehub for XTR 12 speed is a pretty small market and not worth the effort.

emotive

by emotive

NickJHP wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:43 am
If Shimano switch to their new freehub spline pattern for road as well as MTB, which I would think highly likely, AFAIK DT Swiss are the only 3rd party Shimano-compatible rear hub that can be swapped to the new spline pattern...

I predict 12sp Dura-Ace 9200 will be released in 2019, using the new microspline freehub.

White Industries have found a way around the Shimano patent/license and are releasing a micro spline freehub https://bikerumor.com/2018/09/19/white- ... boost-hub/

emotive

by emotive

NickJHP wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:50 am
Yeah, but if purchasing a rear hub now, will it just be a case of swapping the freehub down the track to get the updated one
Yes
From what I've read, the freehub swap will definitely be possible with DT Swiss hubs/wheels, but will it be the same with other manufacturers?
Other hub manufacturers will license it from Shimano, or find a way around it like White Industries have.
bm0p700f wrote:give it a year or two and more companies will make freehubs for it. Currently making a freehub for XTR 12 speed is a pretty small market and not worth the effort.
Agreed

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

robertbb wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:52 am

Seriously, just add 4 more spokes at the back wheel to counter the slightly less advantageous geometry and these hubs are just fantastic.
Guess it'll be kinda hard when the rims are 20/24.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

DT Swiss 240 is easily serviceable. Only if you count servicing as pulling the freehub off and applying more grease to the ratchets. Try removing the ds rear bearing.... That is not so easy unless you have the correct tools (ring nut tool and a good sturdy vice and strong arms) and then it like getting a tight freewheel of and that sometimes fails. They are not easily serviced. A service to me a bearing change. That's the only reason they actually need to come apart for.

Razor2

by Razor2

Have you given these som thought:
bm0p700f wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:20 pm
....or the carbon ti.

I have been riding a pair of them for about a year now (currently on pace to ride 11k mi. this year). My previous wheelset had Tune Mig 70/Mag 170. The Carbon-Ti's have held up great, no problems at all (I did have to adjust the pre-load though). Their bearings feel a lot smoother than the Tune's, very noticeable to me. I'd for sure buy them again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com