ENVE SES 4.5 TUBULARS BRAKE SURFACE FAILURE

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Belisarius

by Belisarius

Bought Aug 18, done 1,300 kms. Ottawa is flat, so mainly 2-3 decelerations per ride, and bottom of one small hill ocasionally. Notices early one the 150-180% braking distance vs Zipp 303 with Yello stuff (same exact road bike). I did contact ENVVE last couple of days, they did mention to check pads for glazing. Enve 4.5 Tubular wheels are terrific fast, enabling a 2km/hr gain, so I can train at 35km/hr, push 38-42, and tailwind quite faster. Stiff. Chris King hubs. It is possible the surface is not that good. Or maybe one off poor quality?

But their braking performance is also poor vs Dura Ace 2.4, and that set is still on original 5,000 km pads. Zipp 303? 25,000kms and 7,000kms in mountain areas wwhere I had to ride hot the brakes to stay sub 60km/hr.. No issue.
Attachments
IMG_0258.jpeg
IMG_0259.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattyNor

by mattyNor

I'd check your brake setup, that textured brake track is one of the best braking tracks out there at the expense of eating pads very quickly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Wonder if you picked up some road debris like sand and then got caught between the track and pads as they contacted each other?

Judging by the picture, I wouldn't think that it would affect braking all that much, would they?
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

sungod

by sungod

^^^this

imo these images don't justify the thread title

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

One of the problems withcarbon rims I have found is customers worry about everything that is not an issue. Also why does the op think that swiss stop pads are the best choice for enve rims.

The best pads varies from carbon rim to carbon rim

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Belisarius wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:10 am
Bought Aug 18, done 1,300 kms. Ottawa is flat, so mainly 2-3 decelerations per ride, and bottom of one small hill ocasionally. Notices early one the 150-180% braking distance vs Zipp 303 with Yello stuff (same exact road bike). I did contact ENVVE last couple of days, they did mention to check pads for glazing. Enve 4.5 Tubular wheels are terrific fast, enabling a 2km/hr gain, so I can train at 35km/hr, push 38-42, and tailwind quite faster. Stiff. Chris King hubs. It is possible the surface is not that good. Or maybe one off poor quality?

But their braking performance is also poor vs Dura Ace 2.4, and that set is still on original 5,000 km pads. Zipp 303? 25,000kms and 7,000kms in mountain areas wwhere I had to ride hot the brakes to stay sub 60km/hr.. No issue.
If there is a problem with the brake tracks on your Enve 4.5 rims it doesn't appear in either of the images you posted.

I have four sets of Enve rims with the textured brake tracks and they provide the best and most secure braking that I have ever experienced with a carbon rim. I rate them above traditional aluminum rims. In fact the only rim I have experienced with better braking, both dry and in the wet, is the old Mavic ceramic reflex rims from the 1990s, when Mavic knew how to apply the ceramic coating so that it wouldn't flake off - knowledge they seem to have lost of late.

These days, I don't think it gets too much better than the Enve textured brake track for carbon rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com