Light bicycle wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

biwa

by biwa

Thinking to get a set of their mid-profile road wheels (probably tubular considering I like climbing so lots of braking on descent). Anyone has direct experience with their wheels? I'd imagine their design is probably not the state of art so you lose some aero points there, but I'm more interested in their safety/quality. A few reviews seem positive about them, and some even suggest they're the OEM for a few big brands in the west. I've also read they're on par with farsports which seems to be another reputable Chinese carbon wheels OEM. Any truth?

MediumSizedMonster

by MediumSizedMonster

Bought some 55mm deep carbon clinchers a couple months ago. 17mm inner and 25mm outer depth, so not their latest release (think that have 28mm outer width rims).

Have probably 500 miles on them, no issues, good quality so far. Definitely don’t feel like they are unsafe by any means.

Their customer support through the ordering process was very good, too. ~3-4 weeks from order to delivery in the Midwest US and all emails answered within 24 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MediumSizedMonster

by MediumSizedMonster

Here they are on my Sprint for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bilwit

by bilwit

The newer 28mm wide rims test quite fast actually, according to Hambini's testing anyway, though not much other rims in the 60mm category were tested for comparison, in any case they aren't jump-off-a-cliff terrible like FLOs. In my eyes they're more reputable than FarSports since they have North American distribution that will sell you Industry Nine hubs and lace them here (the customization options are also great).

Can't speak towards safety of the rim brake clinchers as I've only tried their disc brake rims but I have a set of 55mm/65mm rim brake clinchers ordered. I've put some truly no-named generic Chinese rim brake clinchers through the ringer though so I have no reservations with these ones (just be responsible with your weight/terrain/temperature conditions/etc).

djel

by djel

I had the 35mm profile 25mm wide with Bitex hubs for 2 seasons and they were great. Braking wasn't bad at all, much better than my previous Yishun clinchers. I never had issues with the rims but I broke a spoke once (Sapim) and I had to change the bearings in the rear hub once too. If you go with Chinese or Taiwanese hubs, you should get the internals and make they are properly greased.

F45

by F45

I have the 35mm and 25mm rims. I'd ride them more when I find a brake pad that doesn't make a lot of noise.

Robbyville

by Robbyville

I actually just got a set of their 45 mm depth wheels from the North America distributor. Received the wheels within 6 days of order. I’m a big fan of Industry Nine hubs and the rims are tubeless compatible which is a must for me. Packaging was perfect and wheels are nice and true. To be fair I’ve only had one ride on them though but so far I’m pretty happy! Good warranty too or so they say.
3A7FD4D5-721A-4004-9FB2-666CEDBA7DCA.jpeg
Attachments
69A8D7A6-2C77-4BB4-8594-5057F9C0883C.jpeg
D4FA5B1A-BF60-4056-B775-30D3056D6B66.jpeg
454CE97B-629E-4AC9-8FE4-5E4B4FA83297.jpeg

NickJHP

by NickJHP

I have a pair of their RRU25C02 rims (24h front, 28h rear, disc brake version with no brake track) which have given me zero problems over several thousand kilometres. They were also very easy to build up and true, and have remained dead true.

However, I'm only 65kg, so I don't stress wheels too much.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

biwa

by biwa

Robbyville wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:03 am
I actually just got a set of their 45 mm depth wheels from the North America distributor. Received the wheels within 6 days of order. I’m a big fan of Industry Nine hubs and the rims are tubeless compatible which is a must for me. Packaging was perfect and wheels are nice and true. To be fair I’ve only had one ride on them though but so far I’m pretty happy! Good warranty too or so they say.
Great looking wheels. Is there any difference (in price incl. taxes, warranty, build quality, etc.) ordering from their NA website vs. global website? Thanks.

wiltonlee

by wiltonlee

I have been using an excellent value for money but reliable pair of Farsports lightweight clincher carbon wheels with the following specs :
- 38mm(depth) x 25mm(width) and internal width @ 18mm
- 700c U-shape design
- Tubeless compatible (no holes in rim bed and no need rim tape)
- Basalt braking surface
- UCI approved.
- DT Swiss 240s hubs straight pull (20 / 24 spokes - front / back)
- Sapim aero spokes and Sapim SILs nipples.

Bought the wheelset from Aliexpress less than USD800. It's shipped from China and was delivered to my door step in a week (They ship worldwide and avoided any import tax). Found their communication during and after sales service was impressive with a person assigned to answer all your queries expediently even few months after your purchase.

After 1 year ( >4000km thus far), the wheels remain true and the brake surface have not seen any wear and tear. Cross-wind and climbing pose no problems for me as it is relatively light (<1.5kg),

If anyone interested to get a set, their website is at - https://www.aliexpress.com/store/167932 ... 44e7jjYnTS

Robbyville

by Robbyville

biwa wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:05 am
Robbyville wrote:
Great looking wheels. Is there any difference (in price incl. taxes, warranty, build quality, etc.) ordering from their NA website vs. global website? Thanks.
Whoops so sorry for the delayed reply. There was some price difference between the two, but the Chinese direct dealer doesn't do I9 hubs, plus I frnkly wanted them built by people I could readily communicate with, offer their own warranty, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with the direct route. I had a set of Yoeleo's prior to this, they got them to me fairly quickly, but the finish was not as good as these and the graphics were changed last minute on me which didn't sit right.

biwa

by biwa

Robbyville wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:34 pm
biwa wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:05 am
Robbyville wrote:
Whoops so sorry for the delayed reply. There was some price difference between the two, but the Chinese direct dealer doesn't do I9 hubs, plus I frnkly wanted them built by people I could readily communicate with, offer their own warranty, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with the direct route. I had a set of Yoeleo's prior to this, they got them to me fairly quickly, but the finish was not as good as these and the graphics were changed last minute on me which didn't sit right.
No problem. Thanks for the info!

Just browsed through their NA site, it doesn't seem like they have tubular versions in stock unfortunately.

vanmatthew

by vanmatthew

Do you have a link to their north american site/distributor? Just want to make sure I'm on the right one.

emotive

by emotive

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xDOMx

by xDOMx

I’ve had clincher and tubular rims, disc and rim (respectively), in the 35mm deep x 25mm wide.

Reliable (so far, at least), within quoted weight range, and a good finish on both.

One caveat is that I’ve only ever bought rims, i.e., never the complete wheel builds. Not sure about build quality, etc. for those.