Problem with kinlin xr200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

betwo

by betwo

A few months ago I bought some wheels with r36 apples and 200 kinlin rings, after three days I hit the rear rim . I went to the workshop where they lined up and I did not have any problem until after a couple of weeks a spoke was released, back to the workshop, another exit and there were already two spokes, we changed the nipples but the problem persisted, I noticed that the ring got very hot in the descents by the braking and immediately the spokes were released, some has had a similar experience?

PD: Sorry by my english

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Sounds like they aren't all up to tension OR that the spokes are winding up. Also possible is that you weigh too much or torque the wheels too much for the lacing pattern. How many spokes do you have and how much do you weigh?

Use a tensionometer to get the drive side to the max recommended tension.

If spokes are bladed use a spoke holder when tensioning, to avoid them winding up. (If the wheel uses straightpull spokes then ignore this)

Put a tiny bit of wicker loctite 222 on the nipple/spoke interface.

How about a picture?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Spokes loosing tension is a sure sign of a poor build or your too heavy for the wheels. That rim needs a 28 spoke rear minimum. 24 spoke rests with that rim are for people like my daughter. She's 25kg but not tall enough for 700c wheels yet.

The rim getting hot of descents has nothing to do with the problems you have.

If you thread lock the nipples the spokes won't wind but if the build remains the same you will get spoke failure instead. Talk to a proper wheel builder about this and take there advise.

betwo

by betwo

thank you, we changed the rim for a slightly heavier one but with the thicker walls (shimano r 500) and the problem seems to disappear, however I always left the doubt if the problem was the rim or the construction

alcatraz

by alcatraz

With enough spokes at a proper tension I think you could ride an xr200 even if you're medium weight up to 80kg.

With a soft rim like the xr200 the spokes would really need to be the right amount to be able to handle the flex. Spoke amount and rider weight go hand in hand.

You probably have too few spokes in combination with a flexy rim. It results in stresses focused on very few spokes when you ride over bumps.

Another plausible theory is that when you initially hit the rim, it was slightly deformed. When that happens the ability of the wheel to support the same weight and stay somewhat true is diminished. This because the spoke tensions are less even after a deformation. A recipe for quick wheel failure.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Shimano R500 means 24 spoke rear. As I posinted out thats not enough for adults with the XR200 rim.

Its not the rims fault whoever built them was blindly optimistic.

betwo

by betwo

I understand your point, but as I say, since the ring was changed, there is no problem.
but I always remain with the doubt because with the kinlin if the tension failed, I will not take risks for the next ones will be in about 28 spokes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

120kgf is quite a lot of tension. By not reaching lets say 90kgf on the drive side you end up with very low tensions on the non drive side.

On a rear wheel that requires dishing (all of them except single speed/2:1 triplet hubs) the drive side spokes are very very tight. Make sure you get them up to proper tension. The wheel will then hold true for someone a bit heavier. Without proper and even tension it can't support much weight.