Ultimate custom alloy wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

It must be the steel eyelets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

Ksyriums and these latest Open Pro's.... Mavic just love producing rims with the aero qualities of a combie van with ski racks in a headwind.

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

robertbb wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:55 am
Ahh OK. And how do the R90SL's go with tubeless - same issues as with HED?
Eastons have a tighter tubeless interface than HED. I don't consider the lack of a rim's ability to absolutely keep a tire seated at 0 psi disqualifying as a tubeless rim (not many alloy rims do that), but Easton's fit is tighter than HED's.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Yes the Easton is better. Dave the way I define tubeless compatibility the tyre should remain seated at zero pressure. If that is the case then all you need is tyre plugs to fix tubeless mishaps.
With the hed rim you have to carry a tube because if you properly flat you may not even with Co2 get the tyre reseated. That is hed rims only flaw. And now you know why it's not my favourite rim.

Mavic have the same design goal with UST. It's a good standard.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The Mavic open pro rim main selling point is the UST standard. For tubeless compatibility it's spot on. However it would not feature in my ultimate wheels unless your building something light. But light does not make the ultimate wheel for me. That is more to with looks, long term reliability and how special the hubs are.

C36

by C36

robertbb wrote:
C36 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:02 am
I am not seeing a rim more advanced than the new Mavic Open Pro, shame the Exalith version never made it to production.
What's so advanced about it? ISM4d? How does that help on the road?
Hum how does variable wall thickness tubes helps you on your bike? Resistance or Stiffness to weight optimisation.
That’s the only rim that I know that has this part optimised. You won’t really find a lighter rim unless you compromise resistance, then if you look for the « optimal » aluminium wheel why would you look for a compromise?

Could also add that it’s probably the only Rim with a tubules standard that doesn’t imply try and error to find a tire-rim compatibility.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

robertbb

by robertbb

C36 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:11 am
robertbb wrote:
C36 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:02 am
I am not seeing a rim more advanced than the new Mavic Open Pro, shame the Exalith version never made it to production.
What's so advanced about it? ISM4d? How does that help on the road?
Hum how does variable wall thickness tubes helps you on your bike? Resistance or Stiffness to weight optimisation.
That’s the only rim that I know that has this part optimised. You won’t really find a lighter rim unless you compromise resistance, then if you look for the « optimal » aluminium wheel why would you look for a compromise?

Could also add that it’s probably the only Rim with a tubules standard that doesn’t imply try and error to find a tire-rim compatibility.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
In considering the full breadth of festures an <<optimal>> wheel (aluminium or otherwise) would have, I'd rule out the Open Pro purely on poor aerodynamics. The Easton's are only 20g heavier, and have a far better profile.

The aesthetics on the Mavic are polarising too.

mattr

by mattr

The only ultimate thing about Mavic rims is their availability.
I can walk into just about any shop anywhere and either buy off the shelf or order in 3-5 days. Same with online ordering. Similar tale with DT Swiss.

Asking for a velocity quill, or something from H plus Son will get me a blank look in most places. Even asking for a HED rim will have an eager sales person wheeling out ~€2000 carbon wheelsets......