Alloy braking surface aero wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hex

by Hex

Aaahh! Interesting! Gonna have a good look at these!
Thanks for the tip!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nafaiutb

by nafaiutb

Hex wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:11 am
silvalis wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:33 am
So just to understand, you want 19c because 25mm veloflexes on 19c = 28mm exactly?
Almost! 28mm Veloflexes will be 28mm on 19c
25mm Veloflexes are 25mm on my 19c rims!
Veloflex say the maximum internal rim width to use safely with their 25mm clinchers is 17c....

silvalis

by silvalis

Hex wrote:
silvalis wrote:
So just to understand, you want 19c because 25mm veloflexes on 19c = 28mm exactly?
Interesting.
So I guess if I throw some 25mm veloflex corsas onto some 17c rims (or even my old 15c R3s) they will come up smaller than expected and nowhere near the 26-27mm I get from other popular tyres.
That's a bit off putting, in the opposite direction to yours :lol:
Chasse patate

Stitchking

by Stitchking

Hex wrote:25mm Pro Ones.
On my wheels, 25mm Pro Ones are ~27.5mm when new, 28mm solid after about 300km.
25mm Veloflex come up to 25mm solid...bit shy of 25mm when new.
Do Plus rims really widen tires that much? That's about 5mm from spec.
I imagine that 25mm Veloflexes would behave like the 23mm Pro Ones
On my ardenne + wheelset i tried vittoria corsa, pirelli pzero velo, and conti ultra sport 23, schwalbe one tubeless and they all measured 26.99 new.

I test fit some 25 pro ones and they measured 29mm.

If you have tight frame tolerances i wouldn't reccomend going over 19mm wide as those tyres were basically stretched onto the rim at 23c, and you really want 25 or larger.

Honestly, i think choosing a rim Based on the fact that a veloflex tyre is measured at what it says it is on the sidewall is pretty pedantic. That probably just means theyre just measuring them to a different standard than everyone else and you could just size down on any other tyre and the carcass will be the same volume

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hex

by Hex

Stitchking wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:26 pm
Hex wrote:25mm Pro Ones.
On my wheels, 25mm Pro Ones are ~27.5mm when new, 28mm solid after about 300km.
25mm Veloflex come up to 25mm solid...bit shy of 25mm when new.
Do Plus rims really widen tires that much? That's about 5mm from spec.
I imagine that 25mm Veloflexes would behave like the 23mm Pro Ones
On my ardenne + wheelset i tried vittoria corsa, pirelli pzero velo, and conti ultra sport 23, schwalbe one tubeless and they all measured 26.99 new.

I test fit some 25 pro ones and they measured 29mm.

If you have tight frame tolerances i wouldn't reccomend going over 19mm wide as those tyres were basically stretched onto the rim at 23c, and you really want 25 or larger.

Honestly, i think choosing a rim Based on the fact that a veloflex tyre is measured at what it says it is on the sidewall is pretty pedantic. That probably just means theyre just measuring them to a different standard than everyone else and you could just size down on any other tyre and the carcass will be the same volume

On this post:

https://www.starbike.com/weightweenies/blog/?p=806

...on 21c, the 28c veloflex to come up to a bit more than 28mm, so I thought I might include the Zipp 30 course inside, but I think I'll play it safe and go with 19c as the widest internal.

It isn't about how veloflex measures/advertises the width of their tyres, it is about me getting the widest I can fit in my rim. When I rode the 25s, while nice, they were not as nice feeling as the wider tyres I can mount (meaning, the ones that measure 28mm or thereabouts mounted on my rims)

Tire volume is important for comfort, this is why I'm eyeing the 28mm Veloflexes now. I couldn't ride them for long because I have more comfy tires, but I love how they corner and accelerate and I'm certain I will love the overall feel at their widest possible.

Hex

by Hex

silvalis wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:42 am
Hex wrote:
silvalis wrote:
Interesting.
So I guess if I throw some 25mm veloflex corsas onto some 17c rims (or even my old 15c R3s) they will come up smaller than expected and nowhere near the 26-27mm I get from other popular tyres.
That's a bit off putting, in the opposite direction to yours :lol:
Just a different way of measuring/adversiting their width. The actual width is what matters and I think they want to offer "common 25mm" but going with their own measurements, so 28mm is what most of us consider 25mm tyres (from conti, michelin, schwalbe, etc)

Stitchking

by Stitchking

Iirc the tyre measurement standard is what they will inflate too on a 700x15 rim, hence why most brands end up wider than stated.

Hex

by Hex

Stitchking wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:17 pm
Iirc the tyre measurement standard is what they will inflate too on a 700x15 rim, hence why most brands end up wider than stated.

I see! But then what would be the standard/measurement used by veloflex?
Not pointing or snaring, just wondering because they always come smaller than the more mainstream offerings.

Hex

by Hex

I've come across these guys recently:

https://www.uk.kinetic-one.com/carbonal ... s-94-c.asp

Anyone with experience on these?

MagicShite

by MagicShite

Hex wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:48 pm

looks eerily the same as YEOLEO's carbon alloy wheels.

I'd say grab the YEOLEO's instead.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Hex wrote:
Stitchking wrote:

Not pointing or snaring, just wondering because they always come smaller than the more mainstream offerings.
Veloflex run true to size. The inner rim width irrelevant for these tires. The reason you want these on narrow rim is because of cotton casing (e.g. open tubular), sidewalls are not reinforced which put you in higher risk of tire rolling off the rim. I have been racing on 25mm Master. Fantastic tire but can’t wait to mount 28mm Master for 2019 season.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

alcatraz

by alcatraz

A heavy friend of mine (95-100kg) running sram red brake calipers used to run alloy+carbon fairing bontrager wheels. When his rear wheel gave up its ghost and had to have it's rim replaced we after much consideration went with carbon. Knowing that the braking performance would be unimpressive he never got fully used to it and often thought about changing the whole bike and disc brakes.

Now a few weeks later it's less of an issue because he went through a couple of brake pads. Believe it or not but there is an ongoing evolution of brake pads with great progress. He switched to carbstop and says he can now lock his wheel in the rain if he wants. He stopped dreaming of disc brakes and now descends with confidence again. Another happy carbon all-weather convert. (I'd like to add that the reason his alloy rim had to be replaced was just because it was alloy soft and got too deformed.)

Hex

by Hex

mpulsiv wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:17 am
Hex wrote:
Stitchking wrote:

Veloflex run true to size. The inner rim width irrelevant for these tires. The reason you want these on narrow rim is because of cotton casing (e.g. open tubular), sidewalls are not reinforced which put you in higher risk of tire rolling off the rim. I have been racing on 25mm Master. Fantastic tire but can’t wait to mount 28mm Master for 2019 season.
I'm Def looking forward mounting the 28s for sure!
I did like my 25s, but never got to love them because they were not smooth enough like the more mainstream 25s (sizing up to 28) I ride.

I have another thread here on a inner tubes. It looks like latex is gonna win again because there isn't much else around to give a close feel to it.

Someone mentioned these new plastic tubes (tubolito/revoloop) but the feel seems not as smooth as latex.

Now thinking I'm gonna go latex w/ sealant to have some self repair ability.

Hex

by Hex

MagicShite wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:01 am
Hex wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:48 pm

looks eerily the same as YEOLEO's carbon alloy wheels.

I'd say grab the YEOLEO's instead.
Aha! Nice! Thanks! Looks like the difference is Kinetic-one give you more hub choice, but Yoeleo seems only slightly more affordable.

On that note, though, i'd have the cough up for VAT and possible duties once it lands in europe... :( leaves me with Kinetic-one as the only choice between the two.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hex

by Hex

alcatraz wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:15 am
A heavy friend of mine (95-100kg) running sram red brake calipers used to run alloy+carbon fairing bontrager wheels. When his rear wheel gave up its ghost and had to have it's rim replaced we after much consideration went with carbon. Knowing that the braking performance would be unimpressive he never got fully used to it and often thought about changing the whole bike and disc brakes.

Now a few weeks later it's less of an issue because he went through a couple of brake pads. Believe it or not but there is an ongoing evolution of brake pads with great progress. He switched to carbstop and says he can now lock his wheel in the rain if he wants. He stopped dreaming of disc brakes and now descends with confidence again. Another happy carbon all-weather convert. (I'd like to add that the reason his alloy rim had to be replaced was just because it was alloy soft and got too deformed.)
I have indeed been looking into this. I have considered it. It does help I live in relatively dry and warm weather, making braking not much of an issue if any, but I may end up using latex tubes and Veloflex strongly recommends against using their clinchers with carbon rims.