Campag Bora One...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wilwil

by wilwil

...are the labels removable?

Wookski

by Wookski

Yes- sand through the clear to remove them then re-clear after. A good quality carbon paint shop should be able to help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

peterlee

by peterlee

Yes, removable,

wilwil

by wilwil

Wookski wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:06 am
Yes- sand through the clear to remove them then re-clear after. A good quality carbon paint shop should be able to help.
Thanks, I meant easily removable!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It depends. Prior to 2015 the decals were adhesive vinyl. Thick and heavy, you could peel them off and then remove any adhesive residue with Goof-off, acetone, etc. I’ve done that to one set. Took a bit of elbow grease to really get every trace of residue off, but it was doable.
Then, with the newer Boras after 2015 they went to a water transfer decal, very thin with the end result each letter or graphic is like and individual decal. Can they be removed... probably, with some good elbow grease and Goof-Off maybe, but I’ve never actually tried to date.
It should be noted that that neither the pre 2015 or post 2015 Boras have a clear coat on them. They come out of the mold like that, with a little cleanup.
I suspect if I wanted to remove the newer water transfer decals it wouldn’t be too hard, but unlike the pre-2015 vinyl decals (which are replaceable), I think once you removed the newer water transfer decals, there’s no going back. It would be easy enough to test how easy they might be to remove by just trying to remove maybe the tiny trademark “R” after the “Bora” or “Campagnolo” graphic.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RyanH

by RyanH

Yes, I did it on mine and they look very nice without any decals. You'll have a very difficult time using just a rag and acetone. Take a paper towel, fold it up and soak in acetone. Place it on the rim and wrap with saran wrap and let sit for 5 minutes. They will wipe right off.

wilwil

by wilwil

RyanH wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:33 pm
Yes, I did it on mine and they look very nice without any decals. You'll have a very difficult time using just a rag and acetone. Take a paper towel, fold it up and soak in acetone. Place it on the rim and wrap with saran wrap and let sit for 5 minutes. They will wipe right off.

Doesn't the acetone effect the finish on the carbon? I guess if there is no lacquer on the rim as Calnago says then thats why

wilwil

by wilwil

Calnago wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:05 pm
It depends. Prior to 2015 the decals were adhesive vinyl. Thick and heavy, you could peel them off and then remove any adhesive residue with Goof-off, acetone, etc. I’ve done that to one set. Took a bit of elbow grease to really get every trace of residue off, but it was doable.
Then, with the newer Boras after 2015 they went to a water transfer decal, very thin with the end result each letter or graphic is like and individual decal. Can they be removed... probably, with some good elbow grease and Goof-Off maybe, but I’ve never actually tried to date.
It should be noted that that neither the pre 2015 or post 2015 Boras have a clear coat on them. They come out of the mold like that, with a little cleanup.
I suspect if I wanted to remove the newer water transfer decals it wouldn’t be too hard, but unlike the pre-2015 vinyl decals (which are replaceable), I think once you removed the newer water transfer decals, there’s no going back. It would be easy enough to test how easy they might be to remove by just trying to remove maybe the tiny trademark “R” after the “Bora” or “Campagnolo” graphic.
These are 2015 version. I have the tubular earlier version too and the decals have wrinkled. Might remove those before I sell them

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, I think a rag and just acetone might be much more difficult than if using rag and Goof-Off. I only use acetone for cleaning oily residue or to clean a lightly sanded carbon rim prior to gluing. I’d go straight to using some Goof-Off with a rag to rub the decals off, without soaking them at all as in Ryan’s picture, then finally some acetone to wipe off some residue, if any, then just soap and water to clean it all up.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Wookski

by Wookski

RyanH wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:33 pm
This is wonderful- boras look best without decals!

RyanH

by RyanH

I don't know why people keep suggesting goof off, I find it to work much worse than acetone. Maybe I bought the wrong brand...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Depends, I found acetone to be fine for removing some paint graphics in anodized stems, followed by a little good-off for removing the last traces of adhesive residue. And Acetone is pretty useless on dried tubular glue. Maybe acetone is good for paint etc, while Good-Off works much better on adhesives. I have not tried removing any of the water transfer decals but given that you actually had to soak it for a bit I just thought Good-Off might work better here. But I don’t know for sure. Maybe one of these days I’ll try both acetone and Goof-Off on the little trademark “R” to see if one is better. But for adhesives like mastic etc, Goof-Off over acetone any day. Not to be confused with Goo-Gone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com