Tires - Is my assumption correct?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Anyone lost weight and found that the number of punctures they get reduce significantly?
I say this because loads of people love and hate tires like the Schwalbe Pro One tubeless. Also that at 82kg I get about twice to three times as many rear flats as front flats.
This makes me think that many road tires are really made to work best if you are under 70-75kg. Another reason to lose weight or just a small factor in many others? :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'm the same weight... all my flats with SProOne tubeless were cuts... I doubt any tire short of a gatorskin would have survived them. I chalk it too bad luck.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

Nup......I'm 85kg right now and barely get any punctures on road tyres. Check your pressures.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Sammutd88 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:13 am
Nup......I'm 85kg right now and barely get any punctures on road tyres. Check your pressures.
100 psi with tubes wrong?

jlok

by jlok

I think that's alright. I'm 73kg and never go above 90psi for a 25mm clincher with latex tubes, or 85psi for 25mm tubeless.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

Lewn777 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:52 am
Sammutd88 wrote:
Thats fine. If you are getting very frequent punctures though I'd err to a more robusts tyre. Give the Michelin Pro4 Endurance a crack. Still roll very well but as a bit more robust than a lighter tyre. If that still punctures, maybe a tough tyre lik a Continental Gatorskin. If that still punctures, I'm out of suggestions......

nachetetm

by nachetetm

Lewn777 wrote:
Sammutd88 wrote:
Depends on tire size and road condition. I find very hard to generalize on these things, even the type of puncturing objects plays a big role. For example, my commuter had schwalbe tires that were impervious to flats... until goathead season. During that month I was puncturing every day, sometimes even double and triple flats. I moved to a different region and I never flatted again. What would be the conclusion? Are those schwalbe good or bad against punctures? I think that's the reason for the really divergent opinions over a tire model, it's too user-dependent.

I think the only way to know how a tire will work under your conditions is trying yourself, or perhaps asking people in your surroundings. If you flat a lot you can try to drop pressure, it can help. If it doesn't, then try a different tire, but again is difficult to suggest anything. If it serves for something, I'm using challenge paris-roubaix open tubulars for 3000k and never flatted. I can't say that same with other tires I tried.

Last edited by nachetetm on Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Too many variables here, mostly being the road conditions. I'm a hair under 95kg, I ride between 10-13k KM/yr, and I get maybe a handful of punctures a year on the road between my two wheelsets [Pro One's and Maxxis Padrones, both 25c]. That being said, I run tubeless and I inflate to 75psi front 80psi rear in most dry conditions. I live in Texas, so I deal with a wide variety of road surfaces from nice smooth blacktop to horibly chunky chip'seal with a fair bit of broken beer bottles spread about.

I do get more punctures on the rear than the front, but I think if you poll the comunitiy I'm going to guess you'll find that's common.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

gilles75

by gilles75

The OP assumption that a higher weight and pressure will cause more punctures and cuts is correct from my experience.
Any tire can be cut or perforated by any sharp object. Some tires will require a higher force to be perforated by the same sharp object.
Decreasing the tire pressure will reduce the force pushing it against this sharp object. If the tire can deform a bit more it can more often roll over a sharp object without being forced hard enough to reach this threshold perforation force.
I use Conti GP TT tires 25 mm on 28 mm wide LB wheels. I use 70 PSI front-75 PSI rear and did not get any perforation in 5000 km. I got three cuts on my two other bikes over the same period of time, 6500 km total. 23 mm at 90-95 PSI (narrower wheels), GP4000 & GP TT. Same roads and riding habits. I agree that road conditions & riding habits are also important factors of this reality.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Last edited by gilles75 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LouisN

by LouisN

As riding habits, important factors to consider too are focus on road surface, and riding partners ( how many, and riding experience).
Concentrating on the road ahead, in front of a group, or with reliable and experienced riding buddies, at a decent pressure, reduces by a lot the chance of getting flats.

Louis :)

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Moved to everything wheels.

'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I’m light at 62kg. Almost all my punctures occur on the days I pump my tires to 100psi for personal record attempts. Run bigger tires at lower pressure.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Lewn777 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:52 am
Sammutd88 wrote:
actually it's half yes. It's not wrong for near perfect road.
Tire pressure increases stretching force and also reduce how much tire can deform around objects.
No matter what you weight, 100psi is high for bad road. Aim to go down to somewhere between 65-90psi for road.
If you are heavy, increase tire width (or internal rim width, which in turn make tire wider) is a better thing to do than increasing tire pressure in term of durability.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I believe weight has a lot to do with punctures. Only a light rider 50-60kg can get away with riding corsa speeds in training.

A heavier rider 100kg would maybe only for racing risk putting on gp4ks2 tires.

Also because of the weight distribution you need more protection in the rear.

Put a new Pro4 Endurance in the rear and a new GP4ks2 in the front if you're racing and have had issues with punctures.

For touring just do pro4 endurance front+rear. If you get a cut you can swap with the front as a backup.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

No one can get away with Corsa Speeds in training unless they ride on perfect roads. Even then, if they perform hard accelerations (both positive and negative,) there simply isn’t enough tread to last more than 1000km or so.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.