Wide Rims, Big Tires, Low Pressures

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Lugan wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:33 pm
First, I am in my second winter of Seattle area riding in lots of rain on Schwalbe G One Speed 30c tires on Boyd Altamont Ceramic rims with 19.7 mm inside width. They are tubeless and are 31.7mm wide. I weight 180#/82kg and after much experimentation generally run these tires at 53 psi front and 67 psi rear. This pressure produces a ride that is plush with handling that is still direct and solid (no sideways squishy feeling in corners). The tires have been surpiringly durable, with just one super sharp steel staple penetrating the casing but being sealed quickly and reliably by the Orange Endurance sealant. The rubber is grippy on cold wet roads, but still resists cuts from glass and granite gravel better than average.
Haha, I also run the G-One Speeds on my winter bike - 60 psi front and rear. Orange seal also and in the PNW as well. My experience is identical to yours. A very good winter tire so far.
nachetetm wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:22 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:30 pm
I thought the Pro One was good tire though I had heard some who thought the wet traction was poor. I found no such issue. My issue was that it cut up very easily and I was constantly digging little flakes of glass or rock out of the tread.

My particular application requires smoothest ride and high reliability. For this reason I am abandoning the Compass Extralights and sticking with Vittoria Corsa's. Wish they came in 30 mm as I have a room for a bit more then 28mm.

The Corsa's have surprised me with their resistance to cuts. Where I live I see lots of little cuts in most decent tires over time. The Corsa's for whatever reason do not suffer from this problem. Perhaps it is the combination of the Corsa tread material and the particular nature of the debris where I do most of my riding.
Vittoria Corsa tubeless are starting to appear on some online stores. Corsa controls go up to 30c width; it could be what you are looking for.

I think my next combo will be Corsa TLR 28c front, Corsa Control TLR 30c rear. A bit more comfort, resistance and durability in the rear will probably be the perfect combination.
I have noticed this and I am very tempted by the Corsa. The catch is that tubeless can be a mess you don't want if you cut a tire and have to install a boot and a tube on the road. And I don't think I can count on our support having a compressor if a replacement tire won't seat with a floor pump. That means careful consideration of what spares and equipment will be in my luggage. More sealant? syringe? which spare tires? etc.

As for the Corsa Control, whether TLR or not, they are heavier and I have already added some serious weight to my travel bike with 1600 gram wheels.

The final issue with tubeless is ride quality. I logically conclude that a tubeless tire is going to be less supple as a result of its construction. I assume it will transmit more road vibration as a result. We find tubless tires plush because we ride them at low PSI, not because they are super supple tires. If I can ride a supple clincher with a latex inner tube at the same low pressure, won't I be further ahead vibration-wise?

No question, these new tires from Vittoria might have me tire testing again this Spring. Anybody know if the Corsa Control TLR 30mm is really bigger then the regular Corsa 28mm? The 28mm measures 30mm on my 22mm internal rims and I still have room for a slightly bigger tire. That could mean perhaps 5psi lower tire pressure.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

nachetetm

by nachetetm

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:10 pm
Vittoria Corsa tubeless are starting to appear on some online stores. Corsa controls go up to 30c width; it could be what you are looking for.

I think my next combo will be Corsa TLR 28c front, Corsa Control TLR 30c rear. A bit more comfort, resistance and durability in the rear will probably be the perfect combination.
[/quote]

I have noticed this and I am very tempted by the Corsa. The catch is that tubeless can be a mess you don't want if you cut a tire and have to install a boot and a tube on the road. And I don't think I can count on our support having a compressor if a replacement tire won't seat with a floor pump. That means careful consideration of what spares and equipment will be in my luggage. More sealant? syringe? which spare tires? etc.

As for the Corsa Control, whether TLR or not, they are heavier and I have already added some serious weight to my travel bike with 1600 gram wheels.

The final issue with tubeless is ride quality. I logically conclude that a tubeless tire is going to be less supple as a result of its construction. I assume it will transmit more road vibration as a result. We find tubless tires plush because we ride them at low PSI, not because they are super supple tires. If I can ride a supple clincher with a latex inner tube at the same low pressure, won't I be further ahead vibration-wise?

No question, these new tires from Vittoria might have me tire testing again this Spring. Anybody know if the Corsa Control TLR 30mm is really bigger then the regular Corsa 28mm? The 28mm measures 30mm on my 22mm internal rims and I still have room for a slightly bigger tire. That could mean perhaps 5psi lower tire pressure.
[/quote]

I usually don't have many flats, and when they happen they are always very small holes; the ones that I hope will be solved by sealant. In the rare scenario where a cut cannot be sealed I expect tubeless worms will be everything I need. Weight is not a concern for me, my do-everything-wheelset is a bit over 1700 gr, and honestly the 10-15 extra grams for the Corsa Controls is irrelevant if it comes with better durability. I admit I have high hopes than having the same construction of the regular corsas, the TLR version will be as comfortable. The corsas jumped to my number one place as "next" tires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com