Tubeless Riders: What's in your saddle bag?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

seahuston

by seahuston

I'm looking for some feedback on what people are carrying for tubeless on road flat repair.

With clinchers I always carry 1 tube and a patch kit with a frame pump. I bring the patch kit to handle a second flat after I've used the tube. Double flats are pretty rare but I find the security worth it.

I'm considering a transition to tubeless and wondering what the advised flat kit is. I'd like to be prepared for double flats. I was thinking:
-Tube + Hutchinson tubeless patch kit
-Only patch kit
-Debating between plug or glue style patch kits

Also, has anyone had issue reseating a tubeless tire with a hand pump on the road?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dcorn

by dcorn

I just bring a tube to throw in if I get a flat. Tire levers just in case, mini pump to inflate the tube, a couple dollar bills because apparently they work great for tire patches if you have a big hole. I'm not going to screw around with tire plugs and sealant on the road. I just want to get it fixed and get going again.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Worms are probably easier than throwing in a tube (think about tyre hard to get off as well as valve, and putting tube in with sealant everywhere).
Valve core tool, 20ml of sealant, worms, small tube of flexible glue (that's not a big pacakge) and pump are all most people should need. For the paranoid or ultra-prepared add tyre levers and however many tubes your state of mind dictates.
On the other extreme if you're confident of the self-sealing capability of your system, nothing except your cell-phone.
Less is more.

jlok

by jlok

Cell phone and cash for taxi.

Otherwise plus mini pump, inner tube, patch kit and tyre levers for longer rides.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

shimmeD

by shimmeD

You don't even need cash for Uber.
Less is more.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

My Silca Premio has:

(1) Bontrager Lightweight butyl tube
(1) Specialized EMT Pro MTB multi-tool
(1) contact lens
(1) KMC Missing-Link
(2) small alcohol wipes

I carry a tiny Topeak Micro Rocket pump in my middle jersey pocket and a DynaPlug Racer inside a nylon zip wallet. I only bring the Silca Premio when I'm going up and over the mountains into less populated areas or >60mi endurance rides.

I don't need levers because my preferred tires can easily be mounted/removed by hand. I don't flat enough to worry about patch kits, a second tube, a better pump, etc.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

SpeedSleev Ranger
(1) Conti lightweight tube
(2) 16g CO2
(1) Air Valve pump thingy
(1) Valve Core tool
(1) mini tool (bike smart I think)
Couple Worms and said tool
(2) Schwalbe tire levers (really flat ones)
(2) patches self stick kind
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

silvalis

by silvalis

Dynaplug
Patch kit
Co2.
Tape around the co2
2 or 3 levers depending on the tyre.
Something plastic
Chasse patate

Finx

by Finx

Depends on where I'm riding. In the local area, near civilization with rescue available,. Just the basic stuff. Tube, topeak ratchet rocket multitool (includes tire levers), tire boot, small pump

If I'm on gravel, or out of the local area, out of cell range, etc. I'll add a second tube, patch kit, tubeless repair kit, and a master link with wolftooth tire lever/chain plier combo.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Mostly a Maxalami tubeless repair tube with 3.5mm and 1.5mm wide worms.

I sometimes carry sealant and flexible super glue. I have become forgetful you see and need to gather my tubeless repair kits up again.

seahuston

by seahuston

Thanks for the responses everyone! I did some more reading on the "worms" and it sounds like most people have reasonable success with these. I think I'll pick up a pack of those and also carry a tube for the just in case situation.

Are the dynaplug worth it over the cheaper sets? Besides just being a nicer looking tool/package?

silvalis

by silvalis

Depends.

Dynaplugs are easy to use because of the brass head - easier to just sort of jam into the tyre. I've always felt that it's not the best idea for a road tyre with low volumes (i bought mine for mtb) as the default heads are pointy and you wouldn't want to use it with a carbon rim. You can get round head ones though. The 'tail' is also a lot smaller than a worm (i have not looked for worms for road tyres though)

Purely for road tubeless, I would probably go for a worm like a sahmurai sword as there isnt a brass head.
Chasse patate

kode54

by kode54

when i went tubeless...i carried a tire boot (with sticky one side) in case i got a slice on the sidewall.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

When I ran tubeless on the road, I carried exactly what I would have carried if I ran with tubes: a spare tube, 2 CO2's, a patch kit and two tire levers. Tubeless tires are harder to remove, and tend to want to go back on the bead, so two tire levers would help me take them off, and keep them off.

For big holes, I would just use a GU package (after consuming, of course). I found them to be suitable boots, in a pinch. Lately, I've been running the Park Tool boot, since it has an adhesive backing, which is better for sidewalls.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I just bring a tube. I store the tube in a black latex glove that's tucked up between my seat rails.

Levers, CO2, and misc stuff are in my jersey bag.