Rally tubular

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
addictR1

by addictR1

Has anyone ever tried rally tubular before? Does it ride like a garden hose?

Also do you need to stretch it before mounting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

Here’s my review from the transition to tubulars thread, I stretched them overnight inflated on rims, no big deal:
FilmAt11 wrote:Prior to tubulars, I had used many different clincher wheelsets with quality tires and tubes. The last clinchers I used were Zonda C17 with Veloflex Corsa 25mm tires. I started using tubulars about 4 months ago - Corima Aero wheels with Vittoria Rally 23mm tires. I chose the inexpensive tubulars as a test; I was concerned about gluing technique and somehow mucking up an expensive tire. Cleanup of the rims with acetone was no problem. I created a minor mess mounting the first tire, but I did much better on the second. I used Mastik One as recommended on this forum, although I was a little impatient on letting the thin coats dry. A bit more patience would have resulted in less cleanup. Also, I could use some more practice in getting the basetape even all around, though I'm not sure whether it was straight on the tire in the first place.

So, the ride...maybe it's partly the Corima wheels or confirmation bias, etc. - but the 23mm Rally tubulars feel better* than 25mm Veloflex clinchers on the Zondas or my older 38mm Farsports clinchers. (*) Smoother, more comfortable, and each ride feels special in a tubular kind of way. That's a little crazy, given these are very inexpensive tires, with a somewhat noticeable hop, and butyl inner tubes. So, I'm not asking too many questions at present, just enjoying the ride. I've got some Dugast tires hanging in the garage, but I'll wait until I've worn out the honeymoon effect on these Vittorias. I can't see going back to clinchers any time soon. Ask me again once I've had a puncture. Thanks to all for the great info on this forum.

by Weenie

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Yes stretch them, they ride ok but nothing compared to the best but as training tyres the're fine and disposable for the price...I ride the 25mm version.
"It's not the destination...it's the ride!"

kgt

by kgt

Rally tubulars ride very nice for what they cost. Much nicer than any Continental (even the most expensive ones) and IME almost as good as Veloflex and hi-end Vittoria.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I tried about 5. None lasted more than 10 miles without a flat [not glass, but regular rocks]. I thought is was just bad luck which is why I stopped at 5. I have never had a flat with any tubular since. That was about 7 years ago.

Never again at any price.

kgt

by kgt

I have used mine for a few hundreds kms on my Colnago. No flats so far.

addictR1

by addictR1

Reason I asked is I’ve been on Veloflex and had two flats in a short period of time and many cuts.

So now looking for a more durable tub without feeling like riding on a garden hose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sungod

by sungod

fwiw i tried conti gatorskin tubs on my winter wheels

wet grip was poor, loads of cuts and they soon punctured, bit of a let down :D

faced with wet roads and sharp glass/flints, i suspect there is no really durable tub (at least in the widths i'm looking for, 23-25mm)

kgt

by kgt

addictR1 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:56 pm
Reason I asked is I’ve been on Veloflex and had two flats in a short period of time and many cuts.
So now looking for a more durable tub without feeling like riding on a garden hose.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Durable tires do not ride well. Gatorskin is by far the most durable one but its ride quality is... bad.
Rally rides much nicer but it has no protection layers.
Have you tried Vredestein?

kavitator

by kavitator

i have two some years ago (6years?)

Front was woooble and valve came out after some km - rear also became wooooble bulky - and on second ride gets big hole

Never ever i wont ride cheap tubulars

you pay little more and ride faster and better on high end tubulars

addictR1

by addictR1

I never tried Vredestein Tubular before. Any particular model to recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

I have not used the new models but I guess Freccia T is your only option

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Tried a couple a few years ago. Both flatted within the first 4 rides. No removable valve core meant sealant isn’t an option and neither is sticking an extender in for deep wheels. Ride was ok otherwise.

by Weenie