Recommend a spare tubular for wide rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Eleven21

by Eleven21

I’m in the process of building up a set of wide carbon tubulars. Most likely the 26mm wide Corima rims. The plan is to mount 25mm Veloflex Roubaix or 27mm Vlaanderen tubs. With regards to carrying a spare I suspect one of the narrow tufo’s I normally carry when riding my Ambrosio Nemesis won’t be of any use.

Can anyone suggest a lightweight spare?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

25mm conti sprinter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

wide and light isn't likely, if the rim bed radius won't work with the tufo then you may as well just carry a roubaix if that's what you are riding anyway

LouisN

by LouisN

What these guys said.
Conti Sprinter will get you home from any distance, plus two more seasons ;).
If you can still find some older Vittoria Corsa Elite 25mm, they're not too heavy, and reliable.
Otherwise carry a Corsa 25mm, or even better a Veloflex 25mm, Roubaix or Arenberg.

Louis :)

bahn

by bahn

I ride on 25mm veloflex Arenbergs on wide rims - i carry an old one as spare so I know the tyre will sit well on the rim only preglued... It doesn't take up too much space when strapped under the saddle. It does also fit in my centre jersey pocket if I wanted..

Sent from my G3112 using Tapatalk

Eleven21

by Eleven21

sungod wrote:wide and light isn't likely, if the rim bed radius won't work with the tufo then you may as well just carry a roubaix if that's what you are riding anyway
Thanks for the advice.

Asteroid

by Asteroid

Arenbergs or Roubaixs cost around $70ea/shipped from Probikekit. (Lowest prices I routinely see.)
We all sense the cost pain first time out of the chute. But you will wear the rear significantly over the first 3k kilos.
Swap 'em out then and use the old tire as your spare. Just avoid waiting too long for the swap, because you want a decent spare.
Veloflex uses latex tubes. Simple punctures will repair (most times) with latex sealant; some will require needle & thread.
Oldbie

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Great advice from Asteroid. :up: Almost worn means it's lighter and good enough as a get-me-home, perfect as a spare-carry.
Less is more.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, I only use worn tubulars as my spares. They’re worn and supple and fold up easily. I never wear them down to threads before replacing anyway. While I carry sealant for punctures on the road, I only use it to fix a puncture as opposed to putting it in a new tire as a preventative measure. Because if it has sealant in it, then it rules it out for use as a spare later on. So, tires that should be retired and have no flats get further use as spares and tires that have been fixed with sealant just get tossed when they’re worn out. So, if I get a flat, sealant is the first course of action on the road. And only if that fails do I resort to mounting the spare. A very rare occurrence.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

robertbb

by robertbb

Which sealant Cal - orange?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, I use Orange Seal (the regular version). I tried the "Endurance" version once thinking "Wow, Endurance must be better cuz, well, it says Endurance on the bottle", but it's not better for my my use. The Endurance version simply stays liquid longer, but the Regular version seals better. I use a little old Tufo sealant bottle, due to it's convenient size (wish Orange Seal made a convenient take along size), coupled with the Orange Seal cap and "hose" that fits over the valve. Sealant use seems kind of a religion, with people claiming one works much better than another, but in reality I don't think many of us have enough instances of using different sealants on different tires in different conditions with enough flats that would pass any statistically relevant sample size to determine one's superiority over the other. I'm no different. I heard good things about it, so i started using it, and for the most part it's worked for me. So I keep using it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I've always used preloved tubs as carry-spares when I have available. Lately my tubs have had sealant added, yes I've had a few punctures.
I had been using Stans and that had been good for small punctures only. I wanted to try Orange (from the rave reviews here!) but it's not available locally and therefore otherwise uneconomical so I've turned to Stans Race. Nothing to report as far as punctures go on my well-worn Schwalbe One tubeless ie I haven't had to stop. I've injected some into a 22mm Conti Comp tub because it must have been a needle prick when re-tubing with a Vittoria latex tube and I couldn't be bothered starting all over again. It's holding air but I've yet to transfer from the stretching rim to a front wheel. Lets see if I'll be able to detect any ride improvement.
Less is more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com