Anyone riding on Mavic Cosmic Carbon SL UST wheels?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zefs

by zefs

I guess the tolerances are tighter on the Cosmic wheels then. How much sealant are you using?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I don't know if tight fit is a bad thing!
Atleast you run less (very low) risk of tire burps.
If you've had one, you'd know the shitty experience that it is to have a tire deflating (for me, front tire in high speed while cornering)
Worst experience i've been through.
I'd rather work the Mavics even if tough!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

All tubeless tyre rim combos should seat securely. Mine do, mavic's do it is part of tubeless tyre comparability.

Your car tyres don't unseat at zero pressure and are not easy to dismount. The same is true of tubeless tyres on bicycles. In the same way you don't dismount a car tyre at the side of the road you don't dismount a bicycle tubeless tyre at the side of the road to put a tube in. You plug the puncture instead.

If you make tubeless tyres and rims so that the tyre is easy to dismount you create other problems with setting up the tyre tubeless in the first place or issues on the road like burping.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

After waiting for a over a month, my wheels will be coming in on Monday. I'll give you my initial impression after a few rides. For reference I currently ride on two pairs of Bora Ultra 50 clinchers, and DT Swiss 28mm Spline Mon Chaseral wheels. Also owned multiple Zipp NSW and Enve wheels in the past.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

zefs wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:06 pm
I guess the tolerances are tighter on the Cosmic wheels then. How much sealant are you using?
30-35ml

are

by are

Noctiluxx wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:17 pm
After waiting for a over a month, my wheels will be coming in on Monday. I'll give you my initial impression after a few rides. For reference I currently ride on two pairs of Bora Ultra 50 clinchers, and DT Swiss 28mm Spline Mon Chaseral wheels. Also owned multiple Zipp NSW and Enve wheels in the past.
I'm curious ... what is the report on your experience with the wheels?

slashy

by slashy

wingguy wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:05 pm
Harpoon wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:28 am
Has anyone found any reviews on the "new" Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST Disc? The Mavic site has them listed at 45mm deep and a new stealth look with minimal news.
We've had a set delivered already, so I've had my hands on them but not ridden them. At first glance they're extremely similar, close up the noticeable difference is the shape of the rim where the brake track would be, quite sharply angled out to the widest point about a cm in from the edge of the rim. It's definitely a new, disc specific mould. Oddly it seems the opposite of the old CXR idea of filling in that gap between rim and tyre with the blades. Maybe they'll release some info on why they landed on that shape and what it does.

I'll see if I can take a photo tomorrow that shows what I'm failing to describe very well :P
what was the weight ? close to the claimed weight or far off ?

also can you post this picture you are talking about ?

very weird that mavic cranks out a whole bunch of updated wheels and no com whatsoever about it

Paperboy

by Paperboy

are wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:19 am
Noctiluxx wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:17 pm
I'm curious ... what is the report on your experience with the wheels?
I picked up the regular, non SL version of these wheels/tires; they're dope. I came from Roval SLX24 (DTswiss 350 hubs).

botacalor

by botacalor

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:54 pm
zefs wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:35 pm
The Schwalbe Pro Ones couldn't be mounted on my Ksyrium Elite UST's so it could be the same with Cosmics.

@aeroisnteverything
Not sure if the tolerances are different on the Cosmics, but I don't need to use any tools to remove or add the tires on the Ksyriums (I still carry levers though because sealant can sometimes make it harder to remove the tire). It could be because of the aero profile that the process is harder. Also, pushing against the tire with my thumbs breaks the seal easily on mine. To remove the tire by hand, after you break the seal try to push the tire to the center all the way around the rim from each side, it makes the tire go into the "well" which then makes it easier to remove (the method is shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkPbGfZoZCY). Sometimes you need to do it around a couple of times.
I've watched every video I could find on this. Once the seal breaks - no problem. Breaking the seal is the difficulty (forget thumbs!)
First time I tried to remove this tire from the wheel was a nightmare... Exactly the same problem. In my case it have the inner tube that came from factory...

Over very strange thing... Mavic claims 1490 wheelset. In my scale 1631... Without QR, of course.
It's "normal" big difference like that. :?