Lightweight Standard front wheel noise under load

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aerozy

by aerozy

Hey folks,

Need some advice. I bought a pair of second hand Lightweight Standards about 3 years ago from a WW user with a fairly good reputation. The front wheel straight from the go would make a skreaching steel-to-steel type noise while under load (standing). The wheels run super smooth otherwise. I asked the WW user whom I bought the wheels from and he states that its "the famous LW noise" and that all LW's make the same noise.

Ive since dont about 1000km on the wheelset (im avoiding them) and no problems otherwise.

Is this true? I wouldnt think that a 3000euro wheelset would come with such a design flaw. Could be the bearings... could be design flaw... Probably best to send the front wheel to Germany but thats such a hassle... Whats the verdict?
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

imo the normal sound is more of a 'roar' as tyre-road noise resonates through the wheel, typically under high load i.e. standing or hard cornering

no way they should screech, if they do then i'd think bearings are dry or maybe failed

kgt

by kgt

No, it is not normal. The front wheel should be completely silent.

ebsilon

by ebsilon

...... I think it is normal. My 16 spoke front wheel sounds like a the three musketeers sword fight during/under load.

Also the Lightweight quick release cause some noise because it does not clamp that good.

I bought the wheels brand new from Lightweight.

I weight 75 kg.

Ciaooo

E
Last edited by ebsilon on Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speed of Lite

Vuong05

by Vuong05

I have a pair of Gen 3 wheels, the front wheel is silent.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

KCookie

by KCookie

Definitely not normal, I have three sets of Lightweights and they are all silent. As Sungod said, sounds like a bearing issue.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Check for lateral play with the wheel clamped/mounted.

With the wheel and skewer removed feel the axle (forgive the expression) for grit and play.

If you push on the axle while turning it you can sometimes feel which side (if any) is gritty and needs a bearing service/replacement.

Having never owned a full carbon one piece wheel like these lightweights, I can imagine that it's stiff but also transmits road noise and vibrations on a whole different level than normal steel spoked wheels. Carbon is a pain in the ass to hear where noise is coming from because it transmits noise so well. Like bike creaks and noises are not easy to locate.

There is one benefit of the sound transfer and it's to listen to your bearings. You can at home spin your wheel and simply place your ear onto the fork or frame and hear the smoothness of your bearings. The quieter they are the better.

/a

Geoff

by Geoff

That is not normal. Those wheels should be completely silent. The good news is that the bearings should be an easy fix.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

So, what is the deal with Lightweight saying that replacing the front bearings is a task you need to send back the wheel for? Or do they still even say this?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kgt

by kgt

"Can I change the bearing on my Lightweight front wheel myself?
No. The bearing of the Lightweight front wheel hub can lose its ease of movement over time. In this case, send us the affected wheel. The Lightweight front wheel hub may only be worked on by us. Furthermore, you will put your rights in respect of defects in quality and the warranty at risk by incorrectly carried out assembly and maintenance work!"

https://lightweight.info/en/en/service

glepore

by glepore

They are unofficially user servicable. Preload is set by shims and you have to be sure that they go in the correct side, its pretty random as to each individual wheel. And yes, they should be silent other than the whoosh whoosh.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, there’s nothing in there that I don’t feel totally confident doing myself. I have noticed they seem to use a little retaining compound on the end caps it seems, probably to ward off evil doers from lurking about inside.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ebsilon

by ebsilon

.... are all of yours front wheels totally silent during load???

I can hear that the sporks rubs against each other during a sprint or accelerating uphill or even when hitting a pothole. I think it is bacause the front spokes are not tied the way the rear wheel is.

Doesn´t your front wheels make that sound??? :?

Ciaooo

E

Update: my front wheel is 16 spoke
Speed of Lite

glepore

by glepore

My load is only 60kg so that might explain it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Ooops. Hmmm, I guess I voided my warranty without knowing it. When I did mine, I didn't even think of sending the wheel back (or checking to see if I should).