Aero data from 19 wheels by Hambini

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AJS914

by AJS914

Has anyone been looking at Yoeleo wheel pricing? I have been thinking of buying a pair of 50mm chinese clinchers and Yoeleo was at the top of my list but now they seem to have increased in price by $200/pair so I'm again looking at Farsports or Light Bicycle.

I was wondering if this is the Hambini effect.

rlpaul

by rlpaul

Could be tarrif effect if you're in the US.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themidge

by themidge

Kermithimself wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:20 pm
Well, we all know black is faster than white so.....
This is untrue, white paint may be heavier than black paint, but white paint shows dirt more, therefore it carries more dirt, which is heavier and by extension slower than black paint.

:wink:

AJS914

by AJS914

rlpaul wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:34 pm
Could be tarrif effect if you're in the US.
I thought about that but I don't think it applies to individual purchases. Any taxes, I think, would be on me if due.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:23 pm
Has anyone been looking at Yoeleo wheel pricing? I have been thinking of buying a pair of 50mm chinese clinchers and Yoeleo was at the top of my list but now they seem to have increased in price by $200/pair so I'm again looking at Farsports or Light Bicycle.

I was wondering if this is the Hambini effect.
I just had a look. The prices have gone up since I bought my first set in 2014, but not much.... I want to say I paid $860+shipping for a set of SAT C50's with the SL-Pro ceramic hubs. Those same wheels are now shown at $945.

ergott

by ergott

themidge wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:14 pm

This is untrue, white paint may be heavier than black paint, but white paint shows dirt more, therefore it carries more dirt, which is heavier and by extension slower than black paint.

:wink:
Close. Black is faster because it raises the air temperature so there's less air density.

AJS914

by AJS914

I was looking at the standard wheels with Novatec hubs and cx-ray spokes. They were in the $600 range and now are $836 shipped. LightBicycle want's $686 for the same config and Farsports $550.

yinya

by yinya

How will rain, say light rain and not horizontal, impact the watt differences? E.g. at 50 km/h.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hambini

by hambini

For rain, the easiest thing would be to assume the air density changes. so multiply up. The same thing could be said about hot and cold countries. You could take 10% off for the reduction in air density.

If anyone is considering buying the far eastern wheels. I would recommend you get the ones with named hubs and not unbranded ones. When you compare all of these wheels back to back, there is a considerable difference in the hubs and flexing which is not measured in this test.

Hambini
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Could you elaborate on that. Normally the only effect the hub has on lateral stiffness is due to geometry (bracing angle) and well known brands are guilty of the same sin.

ergott

by ergott

Another aspect of hub design is bearing placement. Reducing unsupported axle end lenght will increase lateral stiffness as well. Axle diameter will have an effect too if comparing similar designs.

Lastly, I've noticed many of the "generic" wheels not only using a hub with narrow flange spacing, they lace the left side radial with all the heads out. That combined with what I mentioned above will summatively reduce lateral stiffness compared to the same rim built to better hub and lacing pattern.

C36

by C36

Hambini,
2 questions I am curious about.

- From the transient to stable drag it appears that even after 10 seconds we are still in transient state how long would it take to reach steady-state under ideal conditions (ballpark number)?Image
10sec is already extremely long to expect that nothing change (not counting bike movement).
- once we are in steady state (if it’s achievable in normal life) does it require a lot to lose it and go back to a transient one? Let’s say on an indoor velodrome, could the front wheel movement be enough to alway be in transient state ?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Yes ergott I suppose that could explain hambinis comments.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The front wheel always wobbles just so you stay upright so flow should always be transiant is my understanding.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hambini

by hambini

This is only anecdotal but there is a big difference between the far eastern rims with a novatec hub (Hunt) and with the miche (borg) or DT hub (yoeleo). The novatec feel like jelly in comparison. I appreciate there will be some skill of the wheel builder in there and the spoke lacing is slightly different but the hub quality does seem to make a difference.

Personally, I would rather ride on something that felt better and sacrifice the extra weight and 2W of Aero that I can gain by wearing hair gel under my helmet.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...