Aero data from 19 wheels by Hambini

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robertbb

by robertbb

hambini wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:11 pm
I'm not a wheel builder so I don't have the ability to swap spokes out and retest.

In other but related news. Two of the wheel brands who have been tested have been in touch with lawyer letters to try to get them removed from the graphs.

I've obviously touched a nerve.
No second prize for which? :lol:

You can safely call their bluff - you've done nothing wrong.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Velt

by Velt

hambini wrote:
I'm not a wheel builder so I don't have the ability to swap spokes out and retest.

In other but related news. Two of the wheel brands who have been tested have been in touch with lawyer letters to try to get them removed from the graphs.

Name them, stuff like this is just as important to me as their wheel perfomance.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

hambini wrote:

terrible. Pls name these wanky companies and I'll make sure never to spend a dime on them.

(pls don't remove the wheels, it's one of the better datasets we get lately despite the controversy on the test methodology)

mattr

by mattr

Remove the data, leave the row, leave the brand and model names, insert links to the letters.

Oh, make sure the blank rows are still in the right place in the rankings. (Last and second from last?)

mattr

by mattr

Any of the posters on this thread employed/ sponsored/involved/Astroturfing for the manufacturers sending the letters?

hambini

by hambini

A colleague of mine who is the legal counsel at work has advised I do not name who sent them yet... As much as I would like to.

But if you read the results, I don't think it would take anyone too long to figure out who certainly one of them is and the other is not too far behind.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Hunt, FLo, Mavic.... Has to be.

I'm putting Hunt 100% in the mix since they produce rubbish rusults (as a generic cheap chinese clincher would, built on Novatec hubs). Never rated them and they are SO overpriced!

Keep at it Hambini, you're helping the cycling community massively with your research.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

https://www.blackcatwheels.ch/p/shop.ht ... y=31262080

whoever bought this, got a very fine wheelset for little money.

I'd be interested in data against more widely known manufacturers.. : o)

mattr

by mattr

Other one is likely to be Flo, the worst performing Mavics been tested by multiple independents and ALWAYS had poor aero. I don't think mavic have ever claimed otherwise! Or tried to shut anyone up.

silvalis

by silvalis

The mavics in the list didn't exactly score poorly relative to their depth...
Chasse patate

MagicShite

by MagicShite

ryanw wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:11 am

I'm putting Hunt 100% in the mix since they produce rubbish rusults (as a generic cheap chinese clincher would, built on Novatec hubs). Never rated them and they are SO overpriced!

Keep at it Hambini, you're helping the cycling community massively with your research.
> generic chinese clincher

But those chinese open mold designs perform on par even with the likes of Bora...(see yoeleo, lb and farsports)

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

MagicShite wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:54 pm
ryanw wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:11 am

> generic chinese clincher

But those chinese open mold designs perform on par even with the likes of Bora...(see yoeleo, lb and farsports)
That would be the difference between a shite generic Chinese clincher and a good one.

My point was more to the fact they charge a huge premium for them.

kgt

by kgt

mattr wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:20 am
Any of the posters on this thread employed/ sponsored/involved/Astroturfing for the manufacturers sending the letters?
It's highly possible.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

There is no such thing as a generic Chinese clincher. They are all different if from a different factory. Hambinis has pointed out without being to disparaging that there were features of the hunt wheel that cause the the higher drag (possibly too blunt) where as other Chinese made rims do better.

The country if manufacture is not the issue just the design of the rims.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

There definitely such a thing as a generic Chinese clincher / wheel.

Those that have very little R&D to stand by, those that are made in low QA environments and have lower quality finish, thus they are marketed at a significantly lower price to the named companies who do adhere to stricter procedures when producing a wheel / rim.

I’m not putting Yoeleo etc in this banding since they have obviously done their homework.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com