Aero data from 19 wheels by Hambini

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

otoman

by otoman

Hambini I’d suggest not making this a shootout of various old model and crap carbon wheels. I love how you put the yoleo’s up against the big names but I’d hesitate to devolve your work into which Chinese supplier has the most aero wheel. Some current Rovals HED’s and Lightweights would be nice though 😀 keep up the great work 👍
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I like that the tests aren't only done on big western brands. I'm sure many of us have wondered how some common chinese wheels compare to the big names.

Unbiased tests are a rare thing. They most of the time have that uncertainty.

/a

hambini

by hambini

otoman wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:11 pm
Hambini I’d suggest not making this a shootout of various old model and crap carbon wheels. I love how you put the yoleo’s up against the big names but I’d hesitate to devolve your work into which Chinese supplier has the most aero wheel. Some current Rovals HED’s and Lightweights would be nice though 😀 keep up the great work 👍
I can only test what people have to let me borrow which is effectively what normal people buy and ride on.

Few manufacturers are going to give me a wheel to test because they know I am not afraid to slate crap engineering and aerodynamics.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

I’d be (semi, perhaps frightened :lol: ) interested to know how my own wheels test, Vittoria Qurano 60 clinchers but I’m miles away in Cumbria.

ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

I looked at planet x website and couldn't find an 80mm wheel or set, or even a disc, is it an old model not available anymore?

Marin

by Marin

Monkeyfudger wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:25 pm
miles away in Cumbria.
No postal services there? I'm pretty sure not many of the wheels are handed over in person :D

hambini

by hambini

ericoschmitt wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:11 pm
I looked at planet x website and couldn't find an 80mm wheel or set, or even a disc, is it an old model not available anymore?
Planet X use generic far eastern rims so their offering changes quite frequently. The guy that owns the wheels, is a triathlete and also an Aerodynamacist.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

mattr

by mattr

Their stock control is also based on post-it notes randomly distributed round the warehouse. So what is on the website quite often doesn't exist.

Or they have 4000 of them. Which they can't find.

peted76

by peted76

Hambini, I know you can only test what you can lend, but what's the chances of you borrowing a set of Giant wheels (should be a dealer franchise near you)? They do a 55mm wheelset and a 65mm wheelset and I seem to be a very popular choice.

hambini

by hambini

peted76 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:38 pm
Hambini, I know you can only test what you can lend, but what's the chances of you borrowing a set of Giant wheels (should be a dealer franchise near you)? They do a 55mm wheelset and a 65mm wheelset and I seem to be a very popular choice.
I will get go and ask the question.

Hambini

Hex

by Hex

To me, that chart says that the Mavic Cosmic Pro (45mm) is the best balance between not too deep, good aero and good cost.

Anyone see it that way?

TiCass

by TiCass

Hex wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:05 pm
To me, that chart says that the Mavic Cosmic Pro (45mm) is the best balance between not too deep, good aero and good cost.

Anyone see it that way?
But heavy

otoman

by otoman

I can see it that way now that you say it especially if you're looking for a sub-50mm wheel.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

Hex

by Hex

TiCass wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:13 pm
Hex wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:05 pm

Anyone see it that way?
But heavy
Rather fair in weight i think. Shimano's C50 and C60 are heavier and pricier. I can see the Yeoleos as better value, but with import duties (to the EU) they get into mavic territory.

I think for an alloy/carbon build, its rather fair in weight.

Been consideran the DT Swiss Oxic 32 (32mm depth) but I think i might go with the Mavics because of this chart. I think the Oxics may perform similar to the Cosmic Élites or the Hunts. I lose the tubeless but i may gain in feel and speed a bit.

Hex

by Hex

otoman wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:14 am
I can see it that way now that you say it especially if you're looking for a sub-50mm wheel.
Yep. Wanted to go deep section, but not deeper than 50mm. Im also drawn to them a bit because of the alloy/carbon build because I want to use Veloflex and latex inner tubes...

Shame about the lack of tubeless, though
Last edited by Hex on Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com