Aero data from 19 wheels by Hambini

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Hex wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:04 pm

For a grand... they are pretty good.

One can lose 220g with some Veloflexes and some exotic inner tubes like tubolitos or whatever is going on today if weight was a deal breaker.

For a grand...you get the aero benefit of most of the wheels here.
For a grand... Once you are up to speed, you won't be missing much on that weight.
For a grand... you would feel it on the climbs, but you can save that grand, buy a case, fly somewhere for a couple of days and ride on another country. For a grand
I mean, sure. You could make that case for a lot of things - value for money/speed gained for money starts deteriorating really quickly at above $3k total bike budgets. And then also: why Mavics and not Yoeleos, which are lighter at the same price point?

On the other hand, (1) this is WW, rather than slowtwich; and (2) one could go with the "all of the above" option: lighter wheels, light tubes/tubeless, light everything, and a trip to the Alps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

otoman

by otoman

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:02 pm
one could go with the "all of the above" option: lighter wheels, light tubes/tubeless, light everything, and a trip to the Alps.
This!!
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

dastott

by dastott

Those Mavics come with an alloy brake track, don’t they? If so, run latex tubes and descend with confidence. Worth the weight penalty to some I imagine.

are

by are

Sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread, but are the Bontrager 50s that are included in the test the same as these:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equi ... Code=black

If yes, is there any reason to think that their updated profiles, which are a little bit shallower, would test significantly worse?

Super interesting thread - thanks for the publishing your work!

hambini

by hambini

are wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:14 pm
Sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread, but are the Bontrager 50s that are included in the test the same as these:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equi ... Code=black

If yes, is there any reason to think that their updated profiles, which are a little bit shallower, would test significantly worse?

Super interesting thread - thanks for the publishing your work!
Unless someone gets the profile wrong, then depth is king. You won't really find much difference between wheels of an equivalent depth at reasonable speeds. If you are going TT racing and can maintain 50km/h then the profile has more of an effect.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Hambini, have you thought about comparing the same wheel/hub with different spoke counts?

For example, what kind of aero penalty would I pay going from 24 to 32 spokes on a Light Bicycle 56mm rim?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

LeDuke wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:05 am
Hambini, have you thought about comparing the same wheel/hub with different spoke counts?

For example, what kind of aero penalty would I pay going from 24 to 32 spokes on a Light Bicycle 56mm rim?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’d be very interested in this also as I’m currently looking for a new track bike front wheel, I know the Zipp 404 track wheels has 10 more spokes on the front, as a lightweight dude I don’t feel like I’d benefit from the extra spokes but certainly “feel” from previous wheels there’d be a fairly large aero penalty.

AJS914

by AJS914

I seem to recall reading how many watts one spoke was worth in November Dave's blog. I found this paper (can't vouch for it):

http://www.aeroweenie.com/assets/backup ... ecount.pdf

It concludes that 12 additional spokes on a Zipp 404 costs between 1 to 5 watts.

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:39 pm
It concludes that 12 additional spokes on a Zipp 404 costs between 1 to 5 watts.

I think it's important to publish units; 1 to 5 watts at XX speed?

Hambini's units of value are very different than Zipp used.

I mention Hambini units because, well, we're in the Hambini thread :)

AJS914

by AJS914

Until someone brings Hambini identical wheels with different numbers of spokes to test, I don't think you'll see that data.

I think the point is that the difference between a few extra spokes is very very small. The difference between 16, 18, or 20 spokes on the front is probably within the margin of error for the test.
Last edited by AJS914 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

zipp demonstrated that a few year back.

hambini

by hambini

I'm not a wheel builder so I don't have the ability to swap spokes out and retest.

In other but related news. Two of the wheel brands who have been tested have been in touch with lawyer letters to try to get them removed from the graphs.

I've obviously touched a nerve.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

hambini wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:11 pm
In other but related news. Two of the wheel brands who have been tested have been in touch with lawyer letters to try to get them removed from the graphs.

I've obviously touched a nerve.

Well done; welcome to the big leagues.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Assuming they didn’t test well then... :lol:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Lawyer letters are idle threats. Take a pic of the letters and post up here for all to see. At the very least name who is complaining.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com