Aero data from 19 wheels by Hambini

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hambini

by hambini

List updated with more wheels now

Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TiCass

by TiCass

Oh wow... so the Zipp NSW are shit?

hambini

by hambini

TiCass wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:57 pm
Yes, utter crap.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

TiCass

by TiCass

hambini wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:03 pm
TiCass wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:57 pm
Yes, utter crap.
So they release a more expensive and updated version of their 404... but perform poorer!?
Hopefully you won't receive a new letter from lawyers :P

themidge

by themidge

The Zipps you tested are the wiggly whale-inspired ones right? I remember the press release for those said something about being a bit slower than normal in head/tail winds, but better in crosswinds. Could be part of the reason why they tested so badly, but still, embarrassing for Zipp.

anykarthik

by anykarthik

Someone needs to set hambini up with some Rovals 50s or 64s.

C36

by C36

Zipp layers are looking for Hambini :p
Jokes appart, that’s not the first data i see where the “wavy” profile is slower.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

At least mine are better than the Zipps. Hambini and his fellow engineers do seem to onto something about the relationship between cross wind stability and drag or more specifically how much drag the wheel creates when the air flow occilates. The one thing for me is to start using internal nipples. while these are a potential pain for me to build with its worth 2-3W which means buying more spokes. So is it worth it? Not sure as depth seems to king for lower drag.

spud

by spud

based on some pretty bad experiences with Zipps of yore, I felt that internal nipples would benefit the integrity of the rim under higher tensions.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

ryanw wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:11 am
Hunt, FLo, Mavic.... Has to be.
Mavic doesn't actually do poorly in Hambini's tests. And the funny thing is, Mavics has always been reviewed badly everywhere else especially in the Aero department. Why a lawyer letter now? Doesn't make sense.

I'm inclined to think that it's Hunt too, but the FLO guys seems smart enough they could have just ignored this mess and avoid the Streisand effect. (besides their wheels are often hot enough that they are out of stock most of the time)

C36

by C36

MagicShite wrote:
ryanw wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:11 am
Hunt, FLo, Mavic.... Has to be.
Mavic doesn't actually do poorly in Hambini's tests. And the funny thing is, Mavics has always been reviewed badly everywhere else especially in the Aero department. Why a lawyer letter now? Doesn't make sense.

I'm inclined to think that it's Hunt too, but the FLO guys seems smart enough they could have just ignored this mess and avoid the Streisand effect. (besides their wheels are often hot enough that they are out of stock most of the time)
Indeed. Unless people refer to the low profile ksyriums (that is not « bad » would even say pretty good for a low profile, no aero wheel) the Cosmic is behaving better that certain wheels 5mm taller...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

spartacus

by spartacus

Any guesses how the HED JET 6 plus would stack up? I'm looking at those but now I'm tempted by these Yoeleo wheels...

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

spartacus wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:56 am
Any guesses how the HED JET 6 plus would stack up? I'm looking at those but now I'm tempted by these Yoeleo wheels...
My guess is that they would be well placed.. mid 180's.. they are good wheels and I'd certainly trust them more going down a mountain pass then Yoeleo.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

mrlobber

by mrlobber

HED's are universally regarded as the at least 2nd best choice for almost anyone in triathlete community which does a lot of specific-rider centric aero testing.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bassett

by Bassett

The Zipp nws are not showing on the above chart (but are on Hambini’s own web site) is this Magic 😉