I fully agree. And I think that it may even be sensible to ban Tom Anhalt for a week as well, even though I wouldn't do it myself.ddsg wrote: ↑Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:00 pmTo be fair to Hambini, Tom did call him Hambone multiple times over on Slowtwitch. I've been following the discussion on both forums and it's quite interesting as Hambini does not have many (if any) supporters on ST as opposed to WW.robeambro wrote: ↑Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:08 pmTo be fair, Hambini is going for BS, and I hope moderators see through it.mag wrote: ↑Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:41 pmRe Hambone: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... e#p1427306
Anyway in such cases one still needs to take a deep breath and reply only after calming down. I too sometimes wrote some nasty reply here and there, but instead of posting it I just deleted it and then wrote another, much more muted one after few hours of doing something else. Take a bike ride before replying for example.
He said, and I quote, "Tom Anhalt repeatedly called me Hambone".
Three things are wrong.
1. A quick search in this discussion yields only one instance where Tom Anhalt used that term.
2. Te fact that it was a racial slur has not been confirmed by any source. While I don't want to assume he has made this up, I can't see any info at all online about it (happy to be proven wrong with links to relevant literature though).
3. even if this were offensive to Hambini in any way that general people would not be aware of, Tom Anhalt said he won't be using that name again, and he doesn't seem to have used it.
I'm quite appreciative of the questions that were raised, regardless of any alleged bias on the part of those who raised them. Good science stands up to scrutiny and pointing out flaws in protocols and results benefits us all. The discussion left me with a less favourable (but not entirely unfavourable) opinion of the results of the study, mainly due to the tone and response from Hambini. Notably:
1. Hambini's personal insults towards people who criticize his results. This criticism hasn't been limited to those with a more combative approach like tanhalt, though I do appreciate that the bulk was levied at tanhalt and that buttons were being pushed.
2. Hambini's propensity to stretch the truth. I'm talking specifically about him claiming that Flo has a practice of "paying prominent forum members in a number of popular cycling/tri forums to endorse their products". This entire accusation is based on tanhalt admitting that Flo sent him a single free wheel after his garage was broken into and a number of bikes and wheelsets stolen, including a wheel he purchased from Flo. Flo has been an active and standup member of Slowtwitch and actions like these should be encouraged, not penalized. Their conduct should obviously have no bearing on the results (and I will definitely think twice before buying any of their wheels), but I believe that the personal accusations against them are unwarranted.
3. The lawyer letter mention. This is a weird one as Flo has categorically denied sending it, whereas Hambini has doubled down and mentioned that it will be "uploaded in due course". One of the sides is going to come out of this with their reputation severely damaged. I don't understand why Flo would claim that they didn't send one if they did as they could be so easily proven wrong. I also don't understand why Hambini would claim that they did send one if they didn't as that sounds like a libel lawsuit waiting to happen. I would however note that Hambini initially mentioned that 2 companies sent lawyer letters and that he would not specify which ones based on advice (I presume legal) he received. Then he specifically named Flo but would not upload a copy of the letter (no mention of the second company). Now the letter will be "uploaded in due course".
I would like to raise a point which has not been discussed yet and I think is very important. I fully approve the ban for what was written HERE, on this very forum.
However, I really think Moderators should be very cautious in gathering evidence that leads to ultimately banning people (and this holds for both Hambini and potentially Tom Anhalt) from other forums, such as SlowTwitch.
What if I am on another forum dedicated to cycling and I write "XXX is a piece of YYY, he wrote this stuff on forum ZZZ, can you believe it". Can I be banned on WW for that? What if I'm friends on FB with a WW user and I see him writing racist/offensive/sexist/whathaveyou remarks on his Facebook wall?
So, this is a line we don't want to cross, I think..
The advantage of being Italian is that you get to know plenty of words coming from Latin that not even many English natives know. Works pretty well in making me look smarter than I actually am.tanhalt wrote: ↑Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:50 pmNow you made me look up "lapidating"...ironically, I was watching "The Life of Brian" just the other night...robeambro wrote: ↑Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:46 pm
Yeah and to be honest if they ban you for this I think it may even be be fair enough*. But I'm happy, since you seem to be understanding of the error in your ways. Which I hope Hambini will be as well.
*ultimately, it's a 1-week ban for each of you guys, almost sounds like moderators are lapidating people here..