Is the Exalith Open Pro vaporware?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

morganb

by morganb

These were hyped and shown on a few show bikes a year or two ago and I haven't seen any in the wild. I have seen the Open Pro UST for sale but haven't seen a single set on a bike yet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MaraudingWalrus

by MaraudingWalrus

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: yes but it's complicated.

Talking to my Mavic rep (Mavic NA) he doesn't believe that they'll exist. One of my distributors who deals with Mavicin France directly, apparently France still thinks they'll exist. I ask my Mavic rep every time I see him. I don't think he likes me any more.
Last edited by MaraudingWalrus on Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ms6073

by ms6073

MaraudingWalrus wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:55 pm
One of my distributors who deals with Mavic in France directly, apparently France still thinks they'll exist.
Yeah, but isn't that the same bunch that thinks that a Frenchman will win the TDF every year?
Last edited by ms6073 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

MaraudingWalrus wrote:
Talking to my Vittoria rep (Vittoria NA) he doesn't believe that they'll exist. One of my distributors who deals with Vittoria in France directly, apparently France still thinks they'll exist. I ask my Vittoria rep every time I see him. I don't think he likes me any more.
And by Vittoria I assume you really meant Mavic…?

MaraudingWalrus

by MaraudingWalrus

Oh, sorry. Yes. It's the same guy for me. Obviously nobody else here knew that piece of the puzzle.
MayhemSWE wrote:
MaraudingWalrus wrote:
Talking to my Vittoria rep (Vittoria NA) he doesn't believe that they'll exist. One of my distributors who deals with Vittoria in France directly, apparently France still thinks they'll exist. I ask my Vittoria rep every time I see him. I don't think he likes me any more.
And by Vittoria I assume you really meant Mavic…?

Stueys

by Stueys

My wheel guy told me not likely to happen anytime soon. His theory was mavic were twitchy it would eat into wheelset sales.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I tell anyone who asks if your waiting for the exalith rim before you buy those new wheels you may never buy them. Assume its not going to happen. it was happening in 2019 we would know by now.

then wheel builders would get constant calls that the black has worn off and become patchy.... really its not worth our time bothering with this rim if it gets released. they will be bought for the looks but in the end they will disappoint for that reason.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Mavic seemingly launched couple of vaporware products last year like the Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL UST as well. Only now have they finally relaunched them (with different specs...wider profile)

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Stueys wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:24 pm
My wheel guy told me not likely to happen anytime soon. His theory was mavic were twitchy it would eat into wheelset sales.
While not an unlikely concern, I personally don't think they'd have much to worry about. The market for premium alloy rims has got to be tiny. If they're ever going to release it now would also be about bloody time. Had they been released a year ago I would've bought a pair immediately, but now I am about to make the transition to disc brakes…

pocari123

by pocari123

Haven’t heard anything about a Ksyrium Exalith UST either which I assume should be higher on their list (correct me if I’m wrong). Maybe it’s a technical issue with exalith and UST?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RabidChi

by RabidChi

“A new freedom for Mavic under Regent”
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/industr ... letes-sale
They mention a whole new product range for 2021 as well as a return to hardgood categories they had abandoned. Might that include introducing the Exalith Open Pro UST at last? I’m still dreaming of building a nice set with a Carbon-Ti rear hub.
My WW rindo climber is a mix of old and new: 2018 Ridley Helium SLX frameset, circa 2012 Lightning crank, circa 2007 M5 light weight brakes, 2019 Berk Lupina Padded saddle, 2018 3T Ultraleggera LTD handlebar.